Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 219

Thread: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

  1. #61
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Why would they look for work when they can live so comfortably on welfare? They dont even have to pretend to be looking for a job anymore!
    That's a stupid idea. Shows a complete lack of understanding of the reality of the human condition.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Was this by state.....as Chicagoland Seasonal Workers didn't hire as many as they did from last year. Even Sears kept more of their Regular Full Time Employees round longer. Especially Since they have been hiring people in with 28-32 hrs.

    The reason I know this is my son Got a job there and got in Right before they brought the seasonal Workers in. See how that works hired in at full time with 32hrs and can be brought in to work over and still not go over 40hrs.
    Is there something new here?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It was doing poorly before then.
    You're right...

    Not after the last six years, no.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You're right...

    Not after the last six years, no.
    Just curious. Who do you blame?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Just curious. Who do you blame?
    Politicians, the Fed, and an education system that does little to prepare people for making responsible decisions with their money.

    Even so-called "small government" Republicans are scared to talk about making necessary budget cuts these days for fear that the uneducated masses will vote their power away. We're currently arguing over "cuts" that amount to whether or not to reduce the rate at which spending is slated to increase.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's a stupid idea. Shows a complete lack of understanding of the reality of the human condition.
    'Welfare Spending Equates to $168 Per Day for Every Household in Poverty' | The Weekly Standard

    The amount of money spent on welfare programs equals, when converted to cash payments, about "$168 per day for every household in poverty," the minority side of the Senate Budget Committee finds. Here's a chart detailing the committee's findings

  7. #67
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Politicians, the Fed, and an education system that does little to prepare people for making responsible decisions with their money.

    Even so-called "small government" Republicans are scared to talk about making necessary budget cuts these days for fear that the uneducated masses will vote their power away. We're currently arguing over "cuts" that amount to whether or not to reduce the rate at which spending is slated to increase.
    Well, a bit more inclusive than most. I don't quite agree with all you say, but that you have a comprehensive view is certainly more grounded in reality.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    The Weekly Standard? I once saw someone equate aid to families with dependent children to a value meal each day. They said corporate welfare was the value meal supersized and more.

    In any case, you have not disputed in any real what I said.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    I tend to agree with Old Ben on the idea of "less is more"

    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Ben Franklin

  10. #70
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Here is the problem I have with what you posted..... Your source, and let me explain why. Your source, Daniel Halper of the Weekly Standard, is lying through his teeth. let me explain further. Halper pulls the number $168 out of his ass and expects us to believe it. OK, so the number being presented for one day seems reasonable, and high enough to piss off people who don't think independently. However, lets use the same number, represented in a different way. There are 365 days in a year, so multiply that 168 bucks per day by the number of days in the year, and you get something that is not to be believed. The amount?

    $61,320.00

    So Daniel Halper of the Weekly Standard expects everybody to believe that welfare recipients receive $61,320.00 in money, subsidies, and benefits? This makes Halper's article laughable on it's face, which is one reason that the Weekly Standard is not a good source at all. It is biased as hell.

    Let me ask you another question. If, say, the Daily Kos came out with their own article which says that welfare recipients make only pennies a day, and need more government money, would you believe that? Of course you wouldn't. Nobody with an education above the sixth grade would believe it. But you are attempting to use an article that is just as biased, only hard right instead of hard left, to make your point. And in that, you have failed to make your point, at least, not to those of us who can see through the BS that is in the article, and the author's fabrication of what he has the unmitigated gall to call facts.

    Let me put this another, much shorter, way............. $61,320.00 a year, my ass!!
    Last edited by danarhea; 12-07-12 at 04:20 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •