Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 219

Thread: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

  1. #181
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    Well, you've got the meaning of "baseline" completely balled up. It refers here to the relative advantages or handicaps that an administration began with. And you've then made matters worse by alluding to phony right-wing memes of failed Democratoc promises to vote for spending cuts after tax increases during Reagan's first term and Bush-41's only term. Neither of those claims has any factual basis.

    Ok, then show us the cuts....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, then show us the cuts....
    LOL! The voice of cluelessness comes wafting in my libary window. The deal with respect to Reagan's 1982 tax increase (still the largest peacetime tax increase in US history) was with regard to spending cuts supposed to come along in 1983. And of those promised cuts, $100 billion was to come in the proverbial form of "debt savings" that Congress can't legislate. $50 billion was to come from a package of defense cuts that Democrats had negotiated with then Majority Leader Howard Baker, but Reagan refused to go along with the cuts and piled more spending increases onto DOD instead. $40 billion was supposed to come from "management savings" that Republicans were on the hook to identify but in fact never came up with. And $30 billion was to come from cuts in Medicare costs that Democrats did in fact identify and helped to pass.

    The problem with Bush-41 was not coming up with spending cuts at all, since Bush's budget was already chock full of them. But with Gramm-Rudman breathing down his neck, he couldn't find enough cuts that he found acceptable to ward off seqestration, so the tax increase became a necessity. It didn't go far enough of course, so Clinton had to increase taxes again in 1993, but the idea that Democrats somehow tripped up HW on spending cuts is ahistorical nonsense.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Let me break it down for you....

    The thread is about the drop in unemployment. It has been determined that this number is reflecting some 350,000 that dropped out of the workforce, and that on a side conversation the theory of retirees making up that number either in part, or more was floated although no solid stats to back that up.

    You also floated that theory so I think I asked a reasonable question....Now I think you are over reacting, which tells me I am on the right track.....So, can you answer the question I posed?
    This is just sad, mac. First, you translate something I said into something I didn't say. Strike one! Then, you did that a second time. Strike two!! Now, you think you're on the "right track" because you think I didn't answer the question you posed even though I actually did.

    Strike three!!! You're out!

  4. #184
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    LOL! The voice of cluelessness comes wafting in my libary window. The deal with respect to Reagan's 1982 tax increase (still the largest peacetime tax increase in US history) was with regard to spending cuts supposed to come along in 1983. And of those promised cuts, $100 billion was to come in the proverbial form of "debt savings" that Congress can't legislate. $50 billion was to come from a package of defense cuts that Democrats had negotiated with then Majority Leader Howard Baker, but Reagan refused to go along with the cuts and piled more spending increases onto DOD instead. $40 billion was supposed to come from "management savings" that Republicans were on the hook to identify but in fact never came up with. And $30 billion was to come from cuts in Medicare costs that Democrats did in fact identify and helped to pass.

    The problem with Bush-41 was not coming up with spending cuts at all, since Bush's budget was already chock full of them. But with Gramm-Rudman breathing down his neck, he couldn't find enough cuts that he found acceptable to ward off seqestration, so the tax increase became a necessity. It didn't go far enough of course, so Clinton had to increase taxes again in 1993, but the idea that Democrats somehow tripped up HW on spending cuts is ahistorical nonsense.

    That is a stunningly brazen bit of historical revision you have there....If this is what we are in for, then count me out.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #185
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    This is just sad, mac. First, you translate something I said into something I didn't say. Strike one! Then, you did that a second time. Strike two!! Now, you think you're on the "right track" because you think I didn't answer the question you posed even though I actually did.

    Strike three!!! You're out!
    What ever, you're wasting my time anyway.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post

    Oh, and by the way ... back then, they didn't include 16-24 year olds in the U3 unemployment rate. Had they, that 5.4% would have been higher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post

    Yes, they did. A minimum age of 16 for inclusion in the labor force was introduced in 1967. Prior to that it had been 14. The data were concurrently adjusted back through 1947. The change was made to establish concurrence with state school attendance and work-permit laws.
    Not while Reagan was president, they didn't.

    Until 1994, the U3 measured:


    BLS introduces new range of alternative unemployment measures

    U-3 (1993): Unemployed persons aged 25 and older, as a percent of the civilian labor force aged 25 and older (the unemployment rate for persons 25 years and older)


    http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1995/10/art3full.pdf
    Last edited by Sheik Yerbuti; 12-09-12 at 03:50 PM.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What ever, you're wasting my time anyway.
    It wouldn't be such a waste of time if you would just understand what I write the first time.

    I still can't figure out how you translated "But to that, I largely attribute retiring baby boomers," into, "so you want to say that they are all retirees." or "There are an additional 1.5 million people between ages 62 and 66 every single month," into, "I mean, if 1.5 million per month are leaving"



    Address what I actually write and not what you think I write and we can cut right to the chase.

  8. #188
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That is a stunningly brazen bit of historical revision you have there....If this is what we are in for, then count me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #189
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post

    Oh I am not running from anything Rob....Just taking stock of the discourse being offered. If it is going to be some dishonest, revisionist drivel, and nothing can be accomplished by addressing it, then I am content to call it what it is and drop it....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: U.S. Adds 146,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That is a stunningly brazen bit of historical revision you have there....If this is what we are in for, then count me out.
    I am sure I must have counted you out a long time ago, thiough I don't actually keep a list of these things. Accordingly and as here, I'll not be expecting to see your actual refutation of any of these "brazen bits" at any point over the remainder of the history of the universe.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •