Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    439

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    I think God is very proud of Washington! As he should be!

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I think it's a little to late for that....years to late.

    There are 2 silver linings I see here, though, even while the Left doesn't care that 1/2 of these families will fail:
    1. Military members can load their same-sex partner into DEERS, thus giving that serviceman a small raise and their partner access to one of the best health insurance programs in the US.
    2. The Left in DC have one less thing to make slogans about, and the more the Left shuts up, the better.
    Yes talk about a silver lining indeed, "I may have lost this argument, but at least I don't have to hear your argument" is kind of a bizarre way of looking at. Also what makes you think that gay marriage supporters, or those on the left, don't care if half of their marriages eventually fail in the future? What makes you think that gay marriage supporters don't wish everyone a happy marriage because we aren't assholes?

    And even if 50% of them should fail, hell even if every single damn one fails that doesn't mean homosexuals don't have the same rights to get married and try to make their lives better just like every other damn person does when they marry.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    What makes you think that gay marriage supporters don't wish everyone a happy marriage []?
    Because over the last 7 years, when I confronted many pro-ssm on this forum about it, pro-ssm told me they didn't care about the divorce rate, they just wanted the money. Time and time again, thread after thread, year after year, pro-ssm said they didn't care. That's how I know, they told me so.

    Well, now they got what they want, so again: Welcome to the 50% divorce rate

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Because over the last 7 years, when I confronted many pro-ssm on this forum about it, pro-ssm told me they didn't care about the divorce rate, they just wanted the money. Time and time again, thread after thread, year after year, pro-ssm said they didn't care. That's how I know, they told me so.

    Well, now they got what they want, so again: Welcome to the 50% divorce rate
    This is a learning experience, don't use generalizations, no one here is saying that. Why do you keep going on about the 50% divorce rate? It has nothing to do with people having the right to marry and to attempt to make a marriage work, like everyone else does...

    Are you saying I'm actually doing gay people a disservice by putting them in a position where they will now be getting divorces?
    Last edited by Wiseone; 12-07-12 at 12:53 AM.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,293
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is a learning experience, don't use generalizations, no one here is saying that. Why do you keep going on about the 50% divorce rate? It has nothing to do with people having the right to marry and to attempt to make a marriage work, like everyone else does...

    Are you saying I'm actually doing gay people a disservice by putting them in a position where they will now being getting divorces?
    Using logic against an emotional argument, how unfair!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Why do you keep going on about the 50% divorce rate?
    Divorce is the only way other people's unions damage me. It behooves me and every other citizen to promote healthy unions, and that's accomplished by helping couples avoid the leading causes for divorce so that they stay happily married with loving, stable homes. Beyond that, ssm doesn't effect me and I have no interest in the topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Are you saying I'm actually doing gay people a disservice by putting them in a position where they will now being getting divorces?
    Yes, you are setting them up for failure.

    IMO there should be a broad marital health and equality act, where, yes, same-sex couples are accepted into the fold, and where all couples have to participate in personal and financial pre-marital counseling. I would even go so far as to specifically allow polygamy up to groups of 4 (to be inclusive of both Native Americans and Muslims). You have to learn a basic level of skill before you're allowed to drive. In most states you have to learn a basic level of familiarity before you can hunt or own a gun. I'm saying that every couple should have to learn how to, frankly, conduct their lives together, before marrying. Pre-marital counseling clears up a lot of communication and money problems, so it would drastically reduce the divorce rate, thus reducing the harm onto you and me.

    And no, pre-marital counseling is not a cure-all. There will a % of unions which can pass any counseling and still fall apart. But many more can be saved then who fall through the cracks.

    My problem with the modern pro-ssm political movement (as distinguished from 2 real people of the same sex who wish to marry) has less to do with the genitalia involved and more to do with ignoring existing problems.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-07-12 at 01:03 AM.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Using logic against an emotional argument, how unfair!
    ....implying my argument is emotional...project much?

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Divorce is the only way other people's unions damage me. It behooves me and every other citizen to promote healthy unions, and that's accomplished by helping couples avoid the leading causes for divorce so that they stay happily married with loving, stable homes. Beyond that, ssm doesn't effect me and I have no interest in the topic.


    Yes, you are setting them up for failure.

    IMO there should be a broad marital health and equality act, where, yes, same-sex couples are accepted into the fold, and where all couples have to participate in personal and financial pre-marital counseling. I would even go so far as to specifically allow polygamy up to 4 wives (to be inclusive of both Native Americans and Muslims). You have to learn a basic level of skill before you're allowed to drive. In most states you have to learn a basic level of familiarity before you can hunt or own a gun. I'm saying that every couple should have to learn how to, frankly, conduct their lives together, before marrying. Pre-marital counseling clears up a lot of communication and money problems, so it would drastically reduce the divorce rate, thus reducing the harm onto you and me.

    And no, pre-marital counseling is not a cure-all. There will a % of unions which can pass any counseling and still fall apart. But many more can be saved then who fall through the cracks.

    My problem with the modern pro-ssm political movement (as distinguished from 2 real people of the same sex who wish to marry) has less to do with the genitalia involved and more to do with ignoring existing problems.
    I assume then that you support banning all marriage until you can get this program start then right? I mean if you don't support allowing gay marriage because they may on average end in divorce 50% of the time, then why allow heterosexual marriage that also ends in divorce 50% of the time? And might I mention that hetrosexuals being what they are tend to have more children than homosexuals, including natural and adoptive means of acquiring a child, therefore they are an even bigger risk to your interests as a citizen.

    Also I made an assumption about how divorces effect you as an individual, but seriously how the hell does divorce effect you as an individual?

  9. #39
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    I'm happy to hear this, but not surprised. When California legalized gay marriage, there were thousands of SSM certificates taken out... until the whole thing was shut down by a judge when the anti-SSM folks filed an appeal.

    It's been a long, arduous process trying to reinstate California's SSM law. I hope that Washington makes the transition much more quickly and painlessly. Congratulations to all the soon-to-be-married SSM couples in Washington State!

  10. #40
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,293
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    ....implying my argument is emotional...project much?
    It is emotional. Divorce rates and SSM are two entirely separate issues. The only reason to put them together is to create an emotional appeal.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •