Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    In accurate. At present, divorce rates are lower for married gay couples. Why?

    The ones who get married in the early rush are couples who have essentially already been married for years (just not legally and without the benefits). Nearly every state where it has been legalized, the first to get married have largely been together for a decade or more.

    As it becomes more "normal", you probably will eventually see an equivalent divorce rate. But at present, it is MUCH lower than heterosexual couples. While there hasn't been a full study, estimates are as low as 1% in some states. Again, that will grow over time, but it's low for the moment.
    I love how you have no source material. I'm not asking for it, I'm just noting that you like to make claims without sourcing where you got your information, meaning you just made it up as you made your post. It's good to know for future discussions, I know what quality of debate you want to have.

  2. #22
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm trying to find common ground here and I feel you're just being hostile with the name calling.
    I don't want to name call, but saying that gay people don't hold marriage sacred is pretty insulting.

    Don't make assumptions about things you don't know. If you ask questions, you'll get more positive responses.

    But as someone who was married in a church, in front of my friends and family, but who lives in a state that refuses us rights and benefits, to suggest that I don't hold my marriage sacred is just plain rude and presumptuous.

    I'll try not to offend - but only in the face of fair discussion, not rude assumptions.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours - latimes.com

    A great victor for this nation! We are moving more forward every year it seems like toward marriage equality amongst all people in this country! Great to hear![/FONT][/COLOR]
    Man, that's a lot of queer folks gettin hitched.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I don't want to name call, but saying that gay people don't hold marriage sacred is pretty insulting.

    Don't make assumptions about things you don't know. If you ask questions, you'll get more positive responses.

    But as someone who was married in a church, in front of my friends and family, but who lives in a state that refuses us rights and benefits, to suggest that I don't hold my marriage sacred is just plain rude and presumptuous.

    I'll try not to offend - but only in the face of fair discussion, not rude assumptions.
    And again, I'm not the only person who shared that opinion, but you're only targeting me because the other person who said that is Progressive.

    This means your post is just to attack a Conservative any way you can, that the argument you use to attack the Conservative is irrelevant, and thus dishonest and not to be taken at face value.

    You want to argue against a Conservative just so that you can be seen arguing against a Conservative. You're 'grandstanding'. Win or lose the argument itself, you win just by having the argument because it will get you personal sympathy from your side. The Taliban does the same thing when a lone gunman lets off a few rounds from his house and then flees. His goal wasn't to nuke the convoy or even cause damage. His goal was just to be seen shooting at Americans. It's political. It's propaganda.

    Likewise the whole fight over ssm is not to actually improve the marital institution or American lives, it's for the Left just to be seen as sticking up for a voting block, even while nothing is accomplished.

    This is why the GOP lost the election, because the Right is focused on results while the Left is focused on appearance.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-06-12 at 04:50 PM.

  5. #25
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I love how you have no source material. I'm not asking for it, I'm just noting that you like to make claims without sourcing where you got your information, meaning you just made it up as you made your post. It's good to know for future discussions, I know what quality of debate you want to have.

    Does gay marriage affect marriage or divorce rates? - Slate Magazine

    This at least shows overall divorce rates in states with legal gay marriage; but as I said, I've found no source that actually has a complete study. The 1% comes from something I read on wikipedia, but I don't necessarily put too much clout in that, and even that said "estimate", so I was just saying what it said. But, as you'll note - I wasn't asserting it to be fact.

  6. #26
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And again, I'm not the only person who shared that opinion, but you're only targeting me because the other person who said that is Progressive.

    This means your post is just to attack a Conservative any way you can, that the argument you use to attack the Conservative is irrelevant, and thus dishonest and not to be taken at face value.

    You want to argue against a Conservative just so that you can be seen arguing against a Conservative. You're 'grandstanding'.
    You claim to want to find "common ground." I'm open to that.

    But begin with questions. Not assumptions.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Does gay marriage affect marriage or divorce rates? - Slate Magazine

    This at least shows overall divorce rates in states with legal gay marriage; but as I said, I've found no source that actually has a complete study. The 1% comes from something I read on wikipedia, but I don't necessarily put too much clout in that, and even that said "estimate", so I was just saying what it said. But, as you'll note - I wasn't asserting it to be fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I love how you have no source material. I'm not asking for it, I'm just noting that you like to make claims without sourcing where you got your information, meaning you just made it up as you made your post. It's good to know for future discussions, I know what quality of debate you want to have.
    I don't care about your source because I'm not having that argument. You like to make claims without sourcing them, and if challenged you will do a quick Google search, but that doesn't change the fact that you spoke from bias, offering evidence only when called on your bias.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    You claim to want to find "common ground." I'm open to that.

    But begin with questions. Not assumptions.
    You write your posts, I'll write mine. If you don't like what I write, don't read it, and I'll do the same.

  9. #29
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    no longer posting
    Last Seen
    01-10-13 @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    453

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The legalization of marijuana, as of this morning, as well.
    Ah, well, needless to say, I don't agree. An increase in the number of happily married couples is a good thing and the marijuana issue is an "oh well" at best at this point.

  10. #30
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    Re: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Gay marriage in Washington state: 279 licenses in first six hours - latimes.com

    A great victor for this nation! We are moving more forward every year it seems like toward marriage equality amongst all people in this country! Great to hear![/FONT][/COLOR]
    Good for Washington!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •