Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 758

Thread: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

  1. #331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    439

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think the RNC should spend $100M for the rest of December put ads on the air showing nothing but Obama playing in the Hawaiian surf every damn day in all 57 states. They should flood the airwaves with ads showing that bastard doing nothing while New Yorkers starve with no heat.
    This would prove what exactly? Nothing other than making the Republicans more of a laughing stock than they already are. Obama still hasnt taken more time off than Bush 1 and two combined. Need we mentioned the disaster the Republicans made out of Katrina. Please I hope this happens because SNL will get funny again! I think this is one of the main reason Republicans lost this last election political madness that somehow some way Obama is taking something, hiding something. A strong majority in this country does not buy into the Republican mantra of: we are the party of fiscal responcibility, or morals. Please tell me how they are the last three republican presidents and congress are to blame for the huge debt we are in now. Yes Obama owns alot of things but not the 80% of the debt that was racked up under the Republicans watch. Yes there is a way to pay down the debt. However, both parties do not want to do it. I think the cuts should start at 20% cut in military and the tax rates go back up to Reagan levels.

  2. #332
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Moot point, considering he can't raise the rates himself. The nature of our government is cooperation/negotiation between the Executive and both houses of Congress.

    At the rate he's going I think we all may be surprised to see what he actually attempts to do on his own before the people wake up and oust this scourge.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #333
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think the RNC should spend $100M for the rest of December put ads on the air showing nothing but Obama playing in the Hawaiian surf every damn day in all 57 states. They should flood the airwaves with ads showing that bastard doing nothing while New Yorkers starve with no heat.
    Yea, because we all know that, had Obama not been in Hawaii, the storm would have not ravaged the east coast like it did.

  4. #334
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,655

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by TaraAnne View Post
    This would prove what exactly? Nothing other than making the Republicans more of a laughing stock than they already are. Obama still hasnt taken more time off than Bush 1 and two combined. Need we mentioned the disaster the Republicans made out of Katrina. Please I hope this happens because SNL will get funny again! I think this is one of the main reason Republicans lost this last election political madness that somehow some way Obama is taking something, hiding something. A strong majority in this country does not buy into the Republican mantra of: we are the party of fiscal responcibility, or morals. Please tell me how they are the last three republican presidents and congress are to blame for the huge debt we are in now. Yes Obama owns alot of things but not the 80% of the debt that was racked up under the Republicans watch. Yes there is a way to pay down the debt. However, both parties do not want to do it. I think the cuts should start at 20% cut in military and the tax rates go back up to Reagan levels.
    a strong majority of American cannot even tell us who the two senators in their own state are

    The reagan tax levels were a maximum of 28%

    I can live with that-the middle class paid a far higher share of the total income tax bill too

    I Can live with that

  5. #335
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    List the top ten things to cut please? And how much cut comes from each of those top ten?

    Please.

    I'll wait - but I won't hold my breath.

    What are "THE CUTS" that everybody wants to see happen?
    Personally, I want to see 15% cuts across the board for starters.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  6. #336
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    I can't remember who wrote the piece, but I read a op-ed recently where the author said the GOP should show up and vote present on any bills that pertain to the fiscal cliff. This would allow the Dems (and apparently the majority of the country) to have what they want. From recent polls I've seen, the majority of Americans want higher taxes on the rich and they think it would be the GOP's fault if we hit the fiscal cliff. The majority of Americans voted Pres Obama into office and kept the Senate as is. I tend to agree with that opinion. Maybe the GOP should pull a Senator Obama and vote present. Then it would be a totally Democratic policy. Before any of you attack me for this, remember that I, being a servicemember, would probably get hit hardest of any group of people in the country in either scenario of Dems getting what they want or the fiscal cliff. Why? Because my taxes go up, my pay is cut, my benefits decrease or stay the same, I lose the ability to do my job as well as I used to, and my job may be on the chopping block. It would less dramatic if the Dems got what they wanted, but, it would still happen.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    439

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a strong majority of American cannot even tell us who the two senators in their own state are

    The reagan tax levels were a maximum of 28%

    I can live with that-the middle class paid a far higher share of the total income tax bill too

    I Can live with that
    Yes but you have to recall that there were no where near the deductions that we have now. This isnt a cure all because after Reagan slashed the tax rate the defict went from 1 trillion to a little und 4 trillion. I can see your point my concern is that some are so focused on social programs they forget that a huge amount of money is wasted on the military. I can see why Obama want to raise the tax back to Clintons levels but it should be for everyone. That being said I could go for a 20% deduction on military. Then we can adjust the social programs.

  8. #338
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,655

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by TaraAnne View Post
    Yes but you have to recall that there were no where near the deductions that we have now. This isnt a cure all because after Reagan slashed the tax rate the defict went from 1 trillion to a little und 4 trillion. I can see your point my concern is that some are so focused on social programs they forget that a huge amount of money is wasted on the military. I can see why Obama want to raise the tax back to Clintons levels but it should be for everyone. That being said I could go for a 20% deduction on military. Then we can adjust the social programs.
    we waste a ton on the military but it lacks two problems social programs have

    1) the military is constitutionally valid

    2) social programs often are not and they create dependent voters who become bots

  9. #339
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I love how you pretend to talk for some many people. Most of them really aren't all that into the class struggle thing that power hungry liberal agitators live for

    Its not a class struggle as you keep trying to paint it. As James Carville correctly observed, "Its the economy, stupid" People through their own experience found that giving the tax cuts to the wealthy did not create jobs, in this country anyway.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #340
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,101

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I didn't say that and you know it. Why would I lie like that? Why are you lieing like that? What fairy tale world do you live in? Can you possibly fathom that $200,000 isn't a million dollars?
    Yes, I guess the concept was a bit sophisticated for a guy for TX, so prehaps I should break it down for you.

    There is a tax cut on all taxable income up to $250K (remember the 2001/03 tax cuts were temporary, they will expire on 12/31, making these cuts permanent is a tax cut), a huge tax break (roughly 60%) on capital based income (interest, dividends and cap gains) and a very small increase on taxable income over $250K. Given that everyone, including those making over $250K enjoy the roughly 3-5 percentage point break on this tax. If you are making $250K of taxable income and say $30K of that was interest,dividends and cap gains, there is roughly a $15K tax break on that income. Given the proposed tax increase is 4.6%, it would take $325,000 of income over 250K (taxable) before that person was worse off under the Obama plan than he would be had the temporary tax cuts been allowed to expire.

    Now, $250K of taxable income is not the same as gross income (everyone has deductions, credits, exemptions)... its really more like $300K... and it takes a another $325K of income before you are worse off... so, lets see, $300K + $325K is $625K of annual income before you have a tax increase. Perhaps its a stretch, but most people that I know that have $625K of annual income are millionaires...
    Last edited by upsideguy; 12-07-12 at 12:05 AM.

Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •