Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 758

Thread: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

  1. #291
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I got a pretty good track record so far....



    It has been laid out recently more than once how this will effect everyone...

    Read up on it young man.
    Take heed Miss Cleo! Go ahead and add this one to the future scrap pile:
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac
    in future classrooms it'll be taught that this country went through a near Marxist take over
    In regards to taxation? Nah, it hasn't and with good reason, most wouldn't want to put their name behind such a Pants on Fire style claim.

    I've read into the effects of taxation within the ACA and the official figures don't mesh with your arm chair analysis. Not surprising really.

  2. #292
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    I think not. I and most people I know have the utmost respect for the working class.
    Yeah, this sounds like a lot of respect you are showing -

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    What put Obama over the edge in this election was the laziness and stupidity of his own base.
    That the majority of people would rather have things provided to them for free- through the work of other people- that to earn it for themselves.
    Take out all welfare recipients from the election- remove their right to vote- and we would have had an entirely different result. Of course the welfare people vote to continue the freebies.
    ....................
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #293
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yeah, this sounds like a lot of respect you are showing -







    ....................
    I stand behind all that. That has nothing to do with the "working" class. I respect people who work and who choose to live by the fruit of their own labor. When you primarily depend on government handouts, you are not "working class." The working class works.
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  4. #294
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Republicans and Democrats have sharply different reactions to the government's taking such an active role in equalizing economic outcomes. Seven in 10 Democrats believe the government should levy taxes on the rich to redistribute wealth, while an equal proportion of Republicans believe it should not. The slight majority of independents oppose this policy.

    Bottom Line

    While a solid majority of Americans, 57%, believe money and wealth in the U.S. should be more evenly distributed among the people, fewer than half favor using the federal tax code to do so. The fault line in these views is distinctly partisan, with most Democrats championing redistribution and most Republicans opposing it......snip~

    Americans Divided on Taxing the Rich to Redistribute Wealth

    Seems the majority of Americans don't favor using the Federal tax Code to do so......seems that's where some of the confusion comes in. Or that Progressives refuse to acknowledge that fact while saying 60% percent say go ahead and tax the Rich.

    Ah.......the Karl Rove approach to reading public polls. May it work out for you as well as it did your mentor. Was real sorry to hear Fox News was letting Karl go.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #295
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    I stand behind all that. That has nothing to do with the "working" class. I respect people who work and who choose to live by the fruit of their own labor. When you primarily depend on government handouts, you are not "working class." The working class works.

    You have no clue that most people on welfare work do you? That is how out of touch and irrelevant your opinion is.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #296
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You have no clue that most people on welfare work do you? That is how out of touch and irrelevant your opinion is.
    No. I do not have that clue.

    http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/900653.pdf

    If these were the numbers in 2002- at a time when the economy was thriving... what would you expect they would be now?
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  7. #297
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    No. I do not have that clue.

    http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/900653.pdf

    If these were the numbers in 2002- at a time when the economy was thriving... what would you expect they would be now?
    No further debate? That's what I thought.
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Ah.......the Karl Rove approach to reading public polls. May it work out for you as well as it did your mentor. Was real sorry to hear Fox News was letting Karl go.
    Gallup......huh? Did you want to tie them to Fox now? then there is those stats that come after an election, eh? Course we can go back to those 76 Cities.....again? Kinda hard to argue with ya own and Brookings now isn't it?

  9. #299
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    No. I do not have that clue.

    http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/900653.pdf

    If these were the numbers in 2002- at a time when the economy was thriving... what would you expect they would be now?


    Let's look at some more up to date numbers:

    "1) In 2011, about 49 percent of the population lived in a household where at least one member received a direct benefit from the federal government. A big chunk of these households are retirees. And about 27 percent households benefited from a means-tested poverty program. A quick breakdown:

    –Last year, about 29 percent of households received Medicare benefits and 31.6 percent received Social Security. (Obviously there’s a lot of overlap between those two, since those programs mainly benefit retirees.)

    –Meanwhile, about 32 million households, or 27.1 percent, benefited from at least one means-tested poverty program. The biggest benefits here were Medicaid (19.5 percent), food stamps (12.7 percent) and subsidized lunches (11.2 percent). Again, there’s some overlap.

    –Smaller benefits include public housing (5 percent of households), unemployment (4 percent), and veterans’ compensation (2.6 percent). Only 7 percent of households receive some sort of direct cash assistance, such as the TANF welfare program.

    2) The number of households receiving government benefits has steadily risen over time, particularly after the financial crisis. The recent increase can partly be chalked up the recession, which threw a lot of people out of work, and partly due to President Obama’s stimulus programs, which expanded (among other things) unemployment insurance and Medicaid:"

    Read more here:

    Who receives government benefits, in six charts
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #300
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Let's look at some more up to date numbers:

    "1) In 2011, about 49 percent of the population lived in a household where at least one member received a direct benefit from the federal government. A big chunk of these households are retirees. And about 27 percent households benefited from a means-tested poverty program. A quick breakdown:

    –Last year, about 29 percent of households received Medicare benefits and 31.6 percent received Social Security. (Obviously there’s a lot of overlap between those two, since those programs mainly benefit retirees.)

    –Meanwhile, about 32 million households, or 27.1 percent, benefited from at least one means-tested poverty program. The biggest benefits here were Medicaid (19.5 percent), food stamps (12.7 percent) and subsidized lunches (11.2 percent). Again, there’s some overlap.

    –Smaller benefits include public housing (5 percent of households), unemployment (4 percent), and veterans’ compensation (2.6 percent). Only 7 percent of households receive some sort of direct cash assistance, such as the TANF welfare program.

    2) The number of households receiving government benefits has steadily risen over time, particularly after the financial crisis. The recent increase can partly be chalked up the recession, which threw a lot of people out of work, and partly due to President Obama’s stimulus programs, which expanded (among other things) unemployment insurance and Medicaid:"

    Read more here:

    Who receives government benefits, in six charts
    Lots of reading here. However none of it on topic. The debate we were having was this:

    Of the people who receive welfare benefits, how many of them work? You stated that the majority of them work. I showed a graph from a liberal organization which was done based on 2002 numbers.

    Though I could not find a more up to date chart, this fact remains: The welfare population DOES NOT fare better in the employment numbers than the overall population of the country. I would be willing to make this "guess":

    Less welfare people work now then they did in 2002.

    Your claim that the majority of welfare recipients work is invalid and false.
    "We need to ask some very tough questions of the senator from Illinois. It's not enough to be black, it's not enough to be articulate, it's not enough to be eloquent and a media darling. The only question will be how deaf an ear, or how blind an eye will people turn in order to turn a frog into a prince." -Eddie Huff

Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •