Page 17 of 76 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 758

Thread: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I agree with you here. In DC, both parties, are controlled by the need for massive campaign cash to keep their power. The left, however, has a big advantage, the "free" press is on its side, so it is currently using that to beat down the republicants. The TP (fiscal conservatism) scares the republicants much more than the demorats as they hold no such allegiance to their pork (yet). Neither party can (or will likely) present sufficient spending cuts, and both now seem to agree that they need more taxation to keep up all of the gov't spending madness; but as you say, having (sometimes) different sacred spending cows.
    I don't really thing the left leaning media has that much of an edge anymore. Given the internet, right-wing talk radio, and cable television news like Fox Commentary and shows like "The Blaze", there is plenty of media for anyone's interest and it's the fault of the person for not seeking out different points of views.

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Actually more than 80 percent agree with a tax increase for the "rich':



    read more:

    More than 80 percent of Americans want to tax the rich | SF Politics
    Question.....So if the majority of people want something, does that mean we should do it?

    Afterall, the majority of people in the U.S. (as a whole) do not want gay marriage legalized. The majority of people in the U.S. may not want abortion to be legal in the future. You get the point. Just because most people want something, doesn't mean it's right nor does it mean we should do it.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Actually more than 80 percent agree with a tax increase for the "rich':



    read more:

    More than 80 percent of Americans want to tax the rich | SF Politics

    PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans break into two roughly evenly matched camps on the question of whether the government should enact heavy taxes on the rich to redistribute wealth in the U.S. Forty-seven percent believe the government should redistribute wealth in this way, while 49% disagree, similar to views Gallup found four years ago.

    http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/...l904sffkag.gif

    Republicans and Democrats have sharply different reactions to the government's taking such an active role in equalizing economic outcomes. Seven in 10 Democrats believe the government should levy taxes on the rich to redistribute wealth, while an equal proportion of Republicans believe it should not. The slight majority of independents oppose this policy.

    The question also provokes different reactions from men compared with women, whites vs. nonwhites, and upper-income vs. lower-income Americans. Consistent with their more Democratic political orientation, women, nonwhites, and lower-income adults are all more supportive than their counterparts of government redistribution of wealth via taxes.

    Bottom Line

    While a solid majority of Americans, 57%, believe money and wealth in the U.S. should be more evenly distributed among the people, fewer than half favor using the federal tax code to do so. The fault line in these views is distinctly partisan, with most Democrats championing redistribution and most Republicans opposing it.

    However, these are philosophical views. In practical terms, as government programs and budgets sink in red ink, unions and Democratic leaders at the federal level and in the states are calling for higher taxes on wealthy Americans specifically to help restore fiscal balance and stabilize entitlement programs. Gallup polling last year found two-thirds of Americans in favor of the wealthy paying higher Social Security taxes as a way to help keep that system solvent. Clearly, these attitudes are complex, and support for "taxing the rich" can run higher if framed in the context of specific benefits. Underneath it all, Americans are not "anti-rich," because most believe the country has either the right amount of or too few rich people.....snip~


    Americans Divided on Taxing the Rich to Redistribute Wealth


    GALLUP.
    Last edited by MMC; 12-06-12 at 11:14 AM.

  4. #164
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Have you faced the stone cold fact that he has not just no plan, but no intention to get even close to balancing the budget for even his next term?
    Yes, and I didn't vote for him for exactly that reason. I just don't like it when people pretend the Republicans are any better, when they refuse to admit that we're going to have to raise taxes, and particularly that we're going to have to raise taxes on the wealthiest households more than we raise taxes elsewhere. Not because we hate the rich or wish to "punish success", but because that's where all the money is.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I don't really thing the left leaning media has that much of an edge anymore. Given the internet, right-wing talk radio, and cable television news like Fox Commentary and shows like "The Blaze", there is plenty of media for anyone's interest and it's the fault of the person for not seeking out different points of views.
    Most Right Wing Talk Radio is off the Air by Midnight and does not Work the Weekends. In addition the Progressives Use the Comedy Channel and Hollywood, Broadway, and local Programming to keep the Assualt on. But you are correct about those thinking for themselves and discovering those sources of info and facts.

    Still the MSM is a major part of the problem now. Since they are laid and played for the same bed. Therein lies part of the Solution tho. Purging the MSM and going after the Aristocrats.

    I remembers the Old Westerns. Movies and Books. They all had a common theme when it came to dealing with what the Town didn't like. They ran "em" out of Town. I think it still works!

  6. #166
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Most Right Wing Talk Radio is off the Air by Midnight and does not Work the Weekends. In addition the Progressives Use the Comedy Channel and Hollywood, Broadway, and local Programming to keep the Assualt on. But you are correct about those thinking for themselves and discovering those sources of info and facts.

    Still the MSM is a major part of the problem now. Since they are laid and played for the same bed. Therein lies part of the Solution tho. Purging the MSM and going after the Aristocrats.

    I remembers the Old Westerns. Movies and Books. They all had a common theme when it came to dealing with what the Town didn't like. They ran "em" out of Town. I think it still works!
    And Hollywood has Clint Eastwood talking to an empty chair at the RNC.

  7. #167
    Educator
    keymanjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    07-03-17 @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    65 billion.
    And we run yearly deficits in excess of $1 TRILLION. The amount generated would cover about .65% of what we OVER spend.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Most Right Wing Talk Radio is off the Air by Midnight and does not Work the Weekends. In addition the Progressives Use the Comedy Channel and Hollywood, Broadway, and local Programming to keep the Assualt on. But you are correct about those thinking for themselves and discovering those sources of info and facts.

    Still the MSM is a major part of the problem now. Since they are laid and played for the same bed. Therein lies part of the Solution tho. Purging the MSM and going after the Aristocrats.

    I remembers the Old Westerns. Movies and Books. They all had a common theme when it came to dealing with what the Town didn't like. They ran "em" out of Town. I think it still works!
    Yes, but ALL media is biased, and I'm not talking just about commentary. A news story could be 100% factual, but the fact they are reporting on that story and not another is bias in some fashion.

    I don't think the blame can fall on the media, because afterall, if they didn't have a market (i.e. support from people) they wouldn't be there. I'm talking about ABC, NBC, Fox NEws, etc. Not like PBS.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by keymanjim View Post
    The amount generated would cover about .65% of what we OVER spend.
    Who is suggesting ONLY raising taxes as a solution to the debt problem. Even the president isn't suggesting JUST raising taxes would solve the debt problem.

  10. #170
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Who is suggesting ONLY raising taxes as a solution to the debt problem. Even the president isn't suggesting JUST raising taxes would solve the debt problem.
    His budget reduction is feeble.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 17 of 76 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •