Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 758

Thread: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

  1. #141
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    See, that's stupid. Some people live hand to mouth, and already are too poor to get by. What kind of idiot would try to get more money from them? They're already perpetually in the red.
    LOL, you think 98% of the country live like that. and you say my post was stupid? most people can pay more taxes. The only reason why only the top 2% are targeted is they don't have many votes

  2. #142
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,693

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Taxing that particular group is the low-hanging fruit; it produces the greatest deficit reducing impact (in this case revenue) with the least economic consequence of any single move that government can do...
    If fully funding the federal gov't for 8 days is "the most" that they can do via taxation increases, then there is much more to discuss. Don't you agree? That is what this "fuss" in DC is about.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #143
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,693

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are completely wrong.

    the only way to rein in the spending is to make government spending distasteful to a majority of the voters. as long as most voters aren't facing increased taxes when the government spends more and more, they will continue to vote for big spending politicians
    Of course Obama is doing exactly the opposite, making more and more dependent upon it for their very existance. Yes he can!
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #144
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Or, you know, the President is being realistic and facing the stone cold fact that we can't balance the budget without raising taxes.
    Fine, how much is he going to raise or cut to balance it next year? Not enough of either is the answer.

    Have you faced the stone cold fact that he has not just no plan, but no intention to get even close to balancing the budget for even his next term?

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by gmeyers1944 View Post
    I disagree. Tax cuts = more employment = more people paying taxes = MORE revenue. Raising tax rates only raises revenue briefly until it's negative effect on the economy brings about the opposite effect.
    Really? Then why haven't the Bush tax cuts given MORE employment instead of less? You do realize we were shedding a **** load of jobs even WITH the Bush tax cuts.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Yes. The thing that both parties need to admit-- and stop posturing over-- is that everyone needs to pay more taxes and that everyone is going to be hurt by the kinds of spending cuts we need. Austerity sucks, but it's the price we pay for decades of reckless spending.
    And you think the majoirty of the population is going to "vote" for austerity measures or is going to vote in people that will implement austerity measures?

    Not saying you are incorrect, however, it's simply not going to happen. The people will demand first that government stop spending on lavish things like dinners, travel, etc. before the people will ever agree to austerity measures.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Fine, how much is he going to raise or cut to balance it next year? Not enough of either is the answer.

    Have you faced the stone cold fact that he has not just no plan, but no intention to get even close to balancing the budget for even his next term?
    Have you faced the stone cold fact that NEITHER side has a real plan nor do they have any intention on getting close to balancing the budget? Yet people keep voting Dem/Rep. Both sides have failed and continue to fail, yet the sheeple huddle around their collective brand of stupidity.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yet again without SPECIFICS on HOW, the GOPs rhetoric of what they "might" do or how much revenue it will bing in is meaningless.

    When the GOP comes up with specifics then I think Obama should listen. And that goes for Obama also coming to terms that spending cuts with the Dems sacred cows need to happen.
    Obama himself said it could be done.

    "Turns out that President Obama once backed the idea of raising more government revenue by closing tax loopholes rather than by raising tax rates.""

    "Congressional Republicans are flagging this Obama comment from 2011: "What we said was give us $1.2 trillion in additional revenues, which could be accomplished without hiking taxes -- tax rates -- but could simply be accomplished by eliminating loopholes, eliminating some deductions and engaging in a tax reform process that could have lowered rates generally while broadening the base."

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Obama himself said it could be done.

    "Turns out that President Obama once backed the idea of raising more government revenue by closing tax loopholes rather than by raising tax rates.""

    "Congressional Republicans are flagging this Obama comment from 2011: "What we said was give us $1.2 trillion in additional revenues, which could be accomplished without hiking taxes -- tax rates -- but could simply be accomplished by eliminating loopholes, eliminating some deductions and engaging in a tax reform process that could have lowered rates generally while broadening the base."
    Ok, here is what you are not understanding. I don't care if Obama "said" it could be done and I don't really care if the GOP "says" it can be done, WITHOUT SPECIFICS ON HOW, IT'S JUST RHETORIC. Now do you understand or do you just "believe" it can be done like the rest?

    I'm not saying Obama is not to blame, he is. I'm also pointing out the GOP is doing EXACTLY what they have complained about the Dems doing. ALL talk and no specifics on HOW. They just want you to "believe" it can be done without saying HOW it can be done. Sorry, I'm not buying it from ANY side.

    EDIT: BTW sawyerloggingon, when Obama was saying this, the GOP and the conseratives didn't believe him. So now, why is it when the GOP are saying the SAME thing, all of a sudden you believe it?
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 12-06-12 at 09:54 AM.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: No Fiscal Deal Without Higher Tax Rates On Rich, Obama Says

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    Obama made it clear what he wanted, and it is what most of the country wants. OF COURSE the republicans are being weakened, because they want to cut ss and Medicare while allowing the rich to continue to enjoy the lowest tax rates in a very long time. They still don't understand why they lost.
    Yet we clearly Understand that in losing. That it doesn't mean those that won.....have Any clue as to How to Govern a Country. Nor should they be given the fullest cooperation to let them.

    35% is the Low? Let me ask you. If you were paying 35% and footing most of the bill for the Country. Would you want you tax rate to go up to 39.5 %? Clearly you must not have been listening to Ryan's Plan. As they want to make those two Entitlements 100% viable.

    What do you got to say now about he Demos going after teachers and City, State, Pension Reforms? Do you think the Left then can say it was the Right that Destroyed the unions? Has the left figured that part out about. City, State, and Fed Government Workers being allowed to have a Union, when they are there to serve the people?

    Also do you think it means something when those that voted for both Candidates had less people voting for them than the Election last time around and even in 2010? Looks like the Majority of the Country. Decided to not vote! Now I wonder why that is.....huh?

Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •