Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 191

Thread: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Mere paranoia from the political/religious/dogma bigots who have too much time on their hands.

  2. #12
    User LoopyPaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Earth.
    Last Seen
    07-13-13 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    86

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    In fairness, that should also go for songs about being Christian. However, the elementary school near our house is not allowed to play any songs dealing with religion because it may "offend" someone.

    L
    I agree whole-heartedly, but I don't think that there should be a ban on any sort of media in schools unless it's actually explicit in some way. People just need to learn to be more accepting than condemning.
    I don't solve problems, I create them.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by LoopyPaladin View Post
    I agree whole-heartedly, but I don't think that there should be a ban on any sort of media in schools unless it's actually explicit in some way. People just need to learn to be more accepting than condemning.
    I'd agree with that.

  4. #14
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    "Conservative correctness" imo comes as a result of the expunging of school prayer and bible study groups. Free speech for thee, but not for me? The line was drawn too broadly on religious expression in schools, but some seem to think that no line ought to be drawn at all when it comes to the subject of sex and sexual orientation and young children. These were eighth graders, not seniors.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  5. #15
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    "Conservative correctness" imo comes as a result of the expunging of school prayer and bible study groups. Free speech for thee, but not for me? The line was drawn too broadly on religious expression in schools, but some seem to think that no line ought to be drawn at all when it comes to the subject of sex and sexual orientation and young children. These were eighth graders, not seniors.
    Conservatives have been pushing their own version of political correctness for decades before the Supreme Court secularized the school system. Again: "Liberty Cabbage" is at the top of the page.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  6. #16
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Conservatives have been pushing their own version of political correctness for decades before the Supreme Court secularized the school system. Again: "Liberty Cabbage" is at the top of the page.
    So you agree that pushing a sanitized version of reality, from either side, is pointless and people should allow others to freely express themselves?

    ADDED: BTW I believe...in homicide, too. That's the truth of it.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  7. #17
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    So you agree that pushing a sanitized version of reality, from either side, is pointless and people should allow others to freely express themselves?
    Yes. And I see "political correctness" coming primarily from conservatives these days, particularly with their Christian whitewashing of American foundational history and Catholicism in America pre-1960.

    But feel free to nail yourself to that cross if it assuages your persecution complex.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  8. #18
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Yes. And I see "political correctness" coming primarily from conservatives these days, particularly with their Christian whitewashing of American foundational history and Catholicism in America pre-1960.

    But feel free to nail yourself to that cross if it assuages your persecution complex.
    Don't be a jerk, dude. You can't pray or have a bible study group in any public school in the U.S. and that is flat out not fair. I would hope you could have a fair and friendly discussion of the issue unlike most internet gadflies who live to troll.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  9. #19
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Don't be a jerk, dude. You can't pray or have a bible study group in any public school in the U.S. and that is flat out not fair. I would hope you could have a fair and friendly discussion of the issue unlike most internet gadflies who live to troll.
    Frankly, I don't like Catholics. Neither did most of America's Founders, except maybe the Maryland delegation, or its WASP establishment until the 1950s. They were right.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  10. #20
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Teacher suspended for playing song about being gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Frankly, I don't like Catholics. Neither did most of America's Founders, except maybe the Maryland delegation, or its WASP establishment until the 1950s. They were right.
    About what?
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •