Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 185

Thread: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

  1. #141
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How many soldiers have to die while you're trying? We're talking about war and on the battlefield people's lives are on the line. There's no time for fairness, nor political correctness. The number one objective in battle is to win, with as little loss of life as possible.
    You're making an assumption. It is possible to be fair and not endanger lives. Any more the phrase political correctness is just a fool some use to marginalized discussion.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #142
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're making an assumption. It is possible to be fair and not endanger lives. Any more the phrase political correctness is just a fool some use to marginalized discussion.
    What if you're wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What if you're wrong?
    I'm not wrong. It is possible. The devil will always be in he details. But history and the world is full of examples of women in combat.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #144
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not wrong. It is possible. The devil will always be in he details. But history and the world is full of examples of women in combat.
    History is full of examples where coed combat arms units have failed on the battlefield.

    Let's be clear, I'm not an opponent to females serving in the combat arms; I'm an opponent of coed combat arms units. I think that if women want to serve in the infantry, it should be in all female units, with female officers; no lower than the company level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #145
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    History is full of examples where coed combat arms units have failed on the battlefield.

    Let's be clear, I'm not an opponent to females serving in the combat arms; I'm an opponent of coed combat arms units. I think that if women want to serve in the infantry, it should be in all female units, with female officers; no lower than the company level.
    I've seen data to the contrary. Can't look it up right now (I haven't masted cut and paste on he iPad yet). When I get to my computer, I'll see what I can find.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #146
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've seen data to the contrary. Can't look it up right now (I haven't masted cut and paste on he iPad yet). When I get to my computer, I'll see what I can find.
    Well, let's see it when you can get it, because I've seen data that supports what I'm saying. NO modern army has deployed coed combat arms units. If it was such a great idea, someone would have figured it out by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, let's see it when you can get it, because I've seen data that supports what I'm saying. NO modern army has deployed coed combat arms units. If it was such a great idea, someone would have figured it out by now.
    Lots of great ideas are slow to come around.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ACLU sues over policy barring women from combat - chicagotribune.com


    The American Civil Liberties Union and four servicewomen sued the U.S. Defense Department on Tuesday to end a ban on women in combat, calling the military the last bastion of discrimination by the federal government and saying modern warfare has already put women in the line of fire.

    modern warfare doesn't have the clear boundaries that may have once existed. It will be interesting to see how this plays out
    Fine, put woman in real life simulated combat missions and see how they do..... If woman who want to fight can keep up with the guys I see why not. I'm sure the ACLU will want want affirmative action to be applied there tho. Like combat is some kinda office job.

    I don't oppose putting woman into combat zones, however they are not built to take the physical stress of a ground mission....

    This is why woman don't play in the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA (they probably could in the NBA tho)....

  9. #149
    Advisor Jarhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southwest Tennessee
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    343

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Fine, put woman in real life simulated combat missions and see how they do..... If woman who want to fight can keep up with the guys I see why not. I'm sure the ACLU will want want affirmative action to be applied there tho. Like combat is some kinda office job.

    I don't oppose putting woman into combat zones, however they are not built to take the physical stress of a ground mission....

    This is why woman don't play in the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA (they probably could in the NBA tho)....
    See, here's the problem with this. You can never really simulate the stress involved with combat. Now matter how realistic you attempt to make any simulation, the participants know that there will be no casualties. I am sure that there are many females that would be very good in combat situations, just as I know for a fact that there are men who are horrible in those situations, but putting females in combat with men is a no-go for me. It would change the equation for me. I just feel like this is a bad idea.
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

    Abraham Lincoln

  10. #150
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Aclu sues over policy barring women from combat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How many soldiers have to die while you're trying? We're talking about war and on the battlefield people's lives are on the line. There's no time for fairness, nor political correctness. The number one objective in battle is to win, with as little loss of life as possible.
    My squabble with him was more about his overall view of women in general...

    I'll state it one last time and be done with it:

    "level the physical fitness standards - no more differentia between the sexes." (this is what I oppose)
    "Those who qualify - are in - regardless of sex"

    No more unbalanced standards.
    As it stands I feel that having unequal standards puts individuals in danger and weakens the overall capability of the force. . . you do seem to agree on that. . . so, those who are in are UNQUESTIONABLY ABLE. And then they would qualify without the differentia and they're in. Yes?

    Yes.

    Very good then . . . What's so hard about that? That's my view - that's where I stand.

    The single most annoying thing to me is this: "I want to be in - but I can't perform like everyone else is expected to - so I want you to lower the standards for me. . . " which is bs.

    In some areas it just doesn't matter, tech, provisional, oversight and supply, etc - but in other areas it's a huge issue.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •