Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 105

Thread: Education

  1. #81
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Personally, I think it's the other way around.... the students who are intersted in art and music are generally the ones who have already mastered the basic skills of english, math, etc....



    I don't know of any group that disagrees with math. What most of us disagree with in the science curriculums is the teaching of Scientific Theory as if it were Scientific Law. That is the idea that there is no room for any alternative theory on the topic. Basically we don't want you attempting to indoctrinate our children into a belief that cannot be PROVEN BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT any more than OUR theory can be.
    There is a distinct difference between a scientific theory and a religious theory. And yes, a scientific theory is supported by more empirical evidence than a religious text of questionable stories handed down by word-of-mouth, which has been translated into various languages. The problem is that religious idealists believe that their theories are science, which they are not. Theology and science are two distinctly different areas of study. One encourages greater understanding of our surroundings through the challenging of current understanding, whereas the other discourages the questioning of doctrine.

  2. #82
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Holy Moly. Where did that come from?
    the party whose members disproportionally embrace creationism over evolution and who disavow the existence of global warming
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #83
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's taught as scientific theory. It is not taught as scientific truth. It is up to churches to teach creationism as long as we have separation of church and state. Which "story" shall we teach? Christian? Judaism? Muslim? Which "story"??

    Now. I do happen to believe that every high school should have a class on Comparative Religions, but that's another topic.
    There are specific requirements within the sciences which differentiate hypothesis, from scientific theories, from scientific laws, correct? Each requiring successively more empirical evidence. That being said, even scientific laws are questioned and are never set in stone. But even with that caveat, I would you ever put the sciences on the same level of religion in terms of the strength of their evidence?

  4. #84
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    How embarrassing for the top 16 countries whose's asses we kick, and can kick in a big way, all the time. So I guess education doesn't buy you everything much to the chagrin of the teachers unions. It must have a lot to do with the Constitution we have, and why conservatives strive to protect it from idiotic liberal manipulation.
    ah, the 'y'all might be smarter than us, but we can still kick your ass' proposition
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #85
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the party whose members disproportionally embrace creationism over evolution and who disavow the existence of global warming
    Scary part is, some of these anti-science politicians sit on our science and space committees, and control how our education system is run.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    That is how it is taught, the standard model has undergone intese scrutiny and remains the most widely accepted theory of the origin of the universe we have. What would you prefer, that we teach the abusud non-sense of biblical creationism? After we teach them "God" did it, is class dismissed? Even if "God" did create it the evidence points to the BBT as the method of creation.
    I can tell you for certain that is NOT how it was taught where I went to high school, or in many of the other school systems that I am familiar with. It is taught as scientific FACT, irrefutable and undeniable.

    I would prefer that we explained what science believes, with the caveat that we are not able to prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt and that there are other groups out that who have alternative ideas as to how the universe was created. I'm not asking any school to teach religion. I'm not even suggesting they should do anything more than acknowledge that there are other theories out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    There's no such thing as over-educate. This is a word used by the uneducated.
    Unfortunately, I'm more educated that I'd really like to be, and I'm the LEAST educated person in my immediate family. I have an Associate's Degree. My parents both have/had Master's Degrees (in Education), one brother has a Master's Degree in Psychology and the other has a PhD in Genetic Microbiology.

    Quote Originally Posted by JRog View Post
    There is a distinct difference between a scientific theory and a religious theory. And yes, a scientific theory is supported by more empirical evidence than a religious text of questionable stories handed down by word-of-mouth, which has been translated into various languages. The problem is that religious idealists believe that their theories are science, which they are not. Theology and science are two distinctly different areas of study. One encourages greater understanding of our surroundings through the challenging of current understanding, whereas the other discourages the questioning of doctrine.
    The problem is that neither side can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, how this Universe was created. Personally, I'm neither a scientist, nor a Christian, so I don't have a dog in the fight. My personal views on how the Universe was created don't fall in either camp.

  7. #87
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's quite open to having someone wrongly tracked.
    wrong? if the student made the selection? i don't think so
    if the kid is bright and can succeed in the college prep program but opts to instead pursue the less academically challenging apprenticeship program, or the basic work skills program, then that is the student's choice to make
    if the student who is under-prepared and/or without the aptitude to succeed in the college prep program, (s)he should still be able to pursue it and succeed or fail. again, the student's choice
    Not to mention as I state above, there isn't really that much difference any more between the tracks. The real difference is one of either having an education or not.
    no, there should be significant difference between a college prep track, an apprenticeship track and a basic work skills track
    Last edited by justabubba; 11-27-12 at 02:40 PM.
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #88
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The problem is that neither side can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, how this Universe was created. Personally, I'm neither a scientist, nor a Christian, so I don't have a dog in the fight. My personal views on how the Universe was created don't fall in either camp.
    No, there is no unified theory of everything in science, but the difference is that science has significantly more proof and practical application than yours or anyone else's religious beliefs. Our scientific "theories" have brought us electricity, computers, satellite communication, antibiotics, automobiles, solar power, etc.

    In terms of the creation of the earth and the evolution of the human species, forgive me if I place a greater amount of trust in the body of knowledge that sent robots and people into space, and created the artificial heart. When was the last time the Catholic (or any other) church placed a cross on the moon?

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Last Seen
    10-06-16 @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,875

    Re: Education

    Religion is anti-science just look what happened to Adam when he found knowlegde.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by JRog View Post
    No, there is no unified theory of everything in science, but the difference is that science has significantly more proof and practical application than yours or anyone else's religious beliefs. Our scientific "theories" have brought us electricity, computers, satellite communication, antibiotics, automobiles, solar power, etc.

    In terms of the creation of the earth and the evolution of the human species, forgive me if I place a greater amount of trust in the body of knowledge that sent robots and people into space, and created the artificial heart. When was the last time the Catholic (or any other) church placed a cross on the moon?
    Forgive me if I place very little trust in a group of people who, as a whole, seem to be of the belief that they can determine the why's and wherefore's of every single thing in the world, when I know for certain (at least in my own mind) that there are things which science will never be able to explain. When one believes that they have all the answers, I tend to find that they have many fewer of the answers than they think they do. My own personal experiences have shown me there are things which the scientific community cannot explain. Likewise, I find organized religion to be just as much of a farce, for the same reason.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •