Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 105

Thread: Education

  1. #31
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    English, Basic Math, American & World History, Basic Science. Think about the things you were supposed to have learned by the time you got out of elementary school and that should cover most of it.

    My concern is that we have kids at the elementary school level who are spending time in art, music, and gym who should be spending that time doing remedial work on their reading, writing, math, history, and science lessons. Once we get to the middle and high school level, where these kids often have some say in their course selections and schedules it gets even worse. Art, Music, Gym, etc.... should be a reward for those students who are able to keep up with their other classes.
    Well I totally agree. So by "Americans study too much" then you meant that they study too much of "art, music, gym, etc" then, right? Cause it seemed like you were stressing that they study too much of those "CORE" courses that you just mentioned, hence my replies.

    But speaking of World History in USA, why is it that most people do not know the history (or even Geographic position) of many countries in Europe? What should be done in the USA education system so as it would include several of its successful political campaigns in Europe?

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    we should adopt the tracking method
    much like germany's three tiered system
    where the student (and hopefully the student's family) identify the track which works best for the student
    does the older student plan to further his education at a university
    or does the student intend to enter the work force upon graduation without significant technical education
    or does he opt to receive a technical education combined with an apprenticeship program
    one size does not fit all, and it should be the student, not the school, which makes this selection
    No, it should be the student and the parents, in conjunction with the school which make the selection. Far too often the student is not truly capable of understanding where their strengths and weaknesses lay. With the help of both the parents and the school, an appropriate decision on where these students should be placed can be made.

    Of course there needs to be a fourth track, started at the Junior High School level..... The Domestic track, for those girls who will be going on to be mothers and wives instead of career-minded women.

  3. #33
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Mostly because we are asking people who will never use that information to try and learn it. Why are we doing that? It's ridiculous.
    I think you have your cause and effect mixed up. Education gives kids the basics needed to move into fields they enjoy and in which they excel. How will we know that a highschool kid will not need advanced math?

  4. #34
    Anarcho Facist
    Spriggs05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    07-10-16 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,428

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Says there that higher education is related to higher economic development. Assuming the reverse would also apply. should be news worthy and concerning.
    Exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Freedom cannot be brought by foreigners with a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    The idiots on this board that fully take the republican or democrat side and think their party is the harbingers of truth and justice and the other, evil scum who are ruining the country. When you realize they're both the latter, you have reached enlightenment.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Well I totally agree. So by "Americans study too much" then you meant that they study too much of "art, music, gym, etc" then, right? Cause it seemed like you were stressing that they study too much of those "CORE" courses that you just mentioned, hence my replies.
    What I mean is that there are too many "distractions" in the American education system which take time, money, and focus away from the basic responsibility of the system to ensure that any student who graduates meets a specific level of education and ABILITY in those core subjects. Those students who have been able to maintain that level over time would then have access to additional eductional opportunities.... art, gym, music, industrial and technical arts, etc.....

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    But speaking of World History in USA, why is it that most people do not know the history (or even Geographic position) of many countries in Europe? What should be done in the USA education system so as it would include several of its successful political campaigns in Europe?
    In my mind the main focus of History and Social Science classes in the United States should follow the timeline of history, starting with ancient history, and once we reach the 17th-18th century focusing mainly on American history, and world history as it relates to and compares/contrasts with the American experience. Social Sciences and Morality/Values should be a major component of this curriculum as well, included with the facts and figures of the timeline.

  6. #36
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by JRog View Post
    I think you have your cause and effect mixed up. Education gives kids the basics needed to move into fields they enjoy and in which they excel. How will we know that a highschool kid will not need advanced math?
    If a high schooler reads at a 5th grade level, he will not need advanced math.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by JRog View Post
    I think you have your cause and effect mixed up. Education gives kids the basics needed to move into fields they enjoy and in which they excel. How will we know that a highschool kid will not need advanced math?
    First off, how do you expect the student to learn algebra when he can't even do basic multiplication and division without a calculator. Secondly, by the middle school level you have a pretty good idea who your college-bound students are compared to those who will have their name on either the front or back of their shirts at work, and those who will likely never hold a legitimate job to begin with. By that point in time, you can (and most places do to some degree) start categorizing and focusing their education; so long as they have mastered the fundamentals in elementary school.

  8. #38
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    What I mean is that there are too many "distractions" in the American education system which take time, money, and focus away from the basic responsibility of the system to ensure that any student who graduates meets a specific level of education and ABILITY in those core subjects. Those students who have been able to maintain that level over time would then have access to additional eductional opportunities.... art, gym, music, industrial and technical arts, etc.....
    But then you may risk "distracting" them from their main course again


    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    In my mind the main focus of History and Social Science classes in the United States should follow the timeline of history, starting with ancient history, and once we reach the 17th-18th century focusing mainly on American history, and world history as it relates to and compares/contrasts with the American experience. Social Sciences and Morality/Values should be a major component of this curriculum as well, included with the facts and figures of the timeline.
    That is my question really, why not benefit from post 18th century political campaigns also?

  9. #39
    Anarcho Facist
    Spriggs05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    07-10-16 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,428

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    What would be included in "BASIC, CORE?" Also why can't "art, music, gym, technology education" not be included in "BASIC, CORE" courses?
    The "art, music, gym, technology education" shouldnt be compulsory but they should still be an option. If you can draw/paint/whatever do art if not-dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Freedom cannot be brought by foreigners with a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    The idiots on this board that fully take the republican or democrat side and think their party is the harbingers of truth and justice and the other, evil scum who are ruining the country. When you realize they're both the latter, you have reached enlightenment.

  10. #40
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If a high schooler reads at a 5th grade level, he will not need advanced math.
    That's not necissarily true. Also, you are referring to a unique case. In most cases, students are performing at or above where they should be. Why should these students be denied a broad education to prepare them for potential future careers? Specialized education occurs in College depending on the needs of the chosen career.

    Furthermore, I find the general disdain for education from the right to be disturbing.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •