Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66

Thread: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

  1. #51
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,186

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Because the US currently is able to shut down access to a German website being accessed by a German citizen located in Germany when said German citizen is breaking no German law.

    This annoys other countries. Many of those countries are our allies and trading partners.

    Additionally, the international nature of the internet means that businesses are currently forced to abide by hundreds of differing sets of regulations. Business would benefit from having a more unified regulatory environment.
    One of the major concerns of major players is US control of ICANN. At present, in the event of hostilities, The US could simply reallocate a country's IP addresses, rendering their online resources useless at a stroke. A relocation of such a sensitive global resource to a neutral country such as Switzerland is probably inevitable, though it might take a decade of kicking and screaming.

    BBC News - US resists control of internet passing to UN agency
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The UN does not want to take control of the Internet... most countries want the US to loose control because of its abuse of the system time and time again. The obvious place to put such control is the UN, most likely in an organisation under the UN... like UNESCO and WHO and WTO.
    How does one "abuse" the internet? I don't believe the internet is something that can be abused.

    Also, the UN believes they have the authority to control everything. If it was up to the UN we would have a one world government with a single Marxist "dear leader."

    The UN is about as evil of an entity one could think up in an alleged "free world."

  3. #53
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    From the OP....




    So, while you think this is all ado about not much, have you read this part? and why would you ignore such a possibility? Clearly you like the internet, and use it....But is it just the ideological mind that is blinded equally where you claim we see UN=bad, you in turn see UN=all good.....So just what the hell are you arguing here?
    That conservatives in this thread are complaining about proposals they have no details about.

    You can try and pretend like I'm doing the same if it makes you feel better. Feel free to quote where I've done that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #54
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    How does one "abuse" the internet? I don't believe the internet is something that can be abused.

    Also, the UN believes they have the authority to control everything. If it was up to the UN we would have a one world government with a single Marxist "dear leader."

    The UN is about as evil of an entity one could think up in an alleged "free world."
    Shutting off access to a German website from a German citizen who lives in Germany who is breaking no German laws would be considered abuse by any reasonable standard.

    Your perception of the UN's goals is outright ridiculous. Or are you suggesting that China, Russia, Iran, and France are all trying to submit themselves to the same singular leadership?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    I don't see any reason to internationalize the internet beyond what already exists. The UN as a collaborative and consensus body on an equal basis is not I think the proper or desirable body for the internet. The United States and our network of NGO's and quasi-parastatal organizations have done an excellent job so far, let's not shift gears.

  6. #56
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    How does one "abuse" the internet? I don't believe the internet is something that can be abused.
    Easy. When a single country can seize a .Com domain because that webpage breaks the law in the US then you have abuse. That the page is for people in another country where the content is legal seems to be irrelevant for the US. That is abuse.

    Also, the UN believes they have the authority to control everything.
    Er no, American right wing fanatics believe this... it is far far from reality.

    If it was up to the UN we would have a one world government with a single Marxist "dear leader."
    Wait the black helicopters will come and take you, get your tinfoil hat on so they cant track you!

    The UN is about as evil of an entity one could think up in an alleged "free world."
    Yea they are so evil those organisations like WHO, WTO, UNESCO, UNICEF and so on... helping people those evil entities....
    PeteEU

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Easy. When a single country can seize a .Com domain because that webpage breaks the law in the US then you have abuse. That the page is for people in another country where the content is legal seems to be irrelevant for the US. That is abuse.



    Er no, American right wing fanatics believe this... it is far far from reality.



    Wait the black helicopters will come and take you, get your tinfoil hat on so they cant track you!



    Yea they are so evil those organisations like WHO, WTO, UNESCO, UNICEF and so on... helping people those evil entities....
    Do you realize how insanely absurd your argument is?

    People who buy dominion names abuse the internet?

    So basically what you're saying is that I shouldn't have the right to buy a dominion name as a private citizen of the US, not only that but you're arguing this point on a .com which was purchased by a private citizen (er abuser of the internet)... Oh and to make your argument even more absurd you have 15,541 posts and have been a member since 2006 on a private .com site.

    If you feel the way you do then why are you posting here?

    Right now you're like Che "Ernesto" Guevara "Lynch" shopping at Walmart with every post you make on www.debatepolitics.COM

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Shutting off access to a German website from a German citizen who lives in Germany who is breaking no German laws would be considered abuse by any reasonable standard.

    Your perception of the UN's goals is outright ridiculous. Or are you suggesting that China, Russia, Iran, and France are all trying to submit themselves to the same singular leadership?
    No websites should be shutdown. The Germans have never changed - they're still fascists, just in a different sense.

    China, Russia and Iran highly censor their "internet." They're on totally different servers. The average internet user in the US doesn't have access to their servers. At one point there was an access point via google but that no longer exists, however it is against the law in China, Russia, Iran etc for their citizens to tap into our servers and be exposed to what we're exposed to everyday online.

  9. #59
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Do you realize how insanely absurd your argument is?
    Oh it is?

    People who buy dominion names abuse the internet?
    That is not what I said. And it also clearly shows you dont know how domain names are given out and how big an influence the US has.

    So basically what you're saying is that I shouldn't have the right to buy a dominion name as a private citizen of the US, not only that but you're arguing this point on a .com which was purchased by a private citizen (er abuser of the internet)... Oh and to make your argument even more absurd you have 15,541 posts and have been a member since 2006 on a private .com site.
    No that is not what I am saying, that is what you are saying.

    I am saying, that lets say a British company buys a .com domain and starts to do its business in the UK and that business is fully legal there. However in the US it is not, and hence the feds can (and have) seized said domain because the content breaks US law... but as I said not UK law, which is the intended target.

    Right now you're like Che "Ernesto" Guevara "Lynch" shopping at Walmart with every post you make on www.debatepolitics.COM
    And you are just ignoring what I am writing and making stuff up.
    PeteEU

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Oh it is?



    That is not what I said. And it also clearly shows you dont know how domain names are given out and how big an influence the US has.



    No that is not what I am saying, that is what you are saying.

    I am saying, that lets say a British company buys a .com domain and starts to do its business in the UK and that business is fully legal there. However in the US it is not, and hence the feds can (and have) seized said domain because the content breaks US law... but as I said not UK law, which is the intended target.



    And you are just ignoring what I am writing and making stuff up.
    Can you cite an example?

    Honestly, I'm a huge hockey nut, but I don't subscribe to cable so I watch games online on a (free) site where individuals upload games in real time via capture card and the government shut that site down. However, that same site moved their servers to Switzerland now the US government cant do anything about it.

    Is that a good example of what you're talking about?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •