Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by RLN View Post
    Sorry, American, but this idea is horse-hokey.

    Debunking Rumors of an Internet Takeover
    So I see American has fallen for yet another round of BS fear mongering. It makes me wonder how many overpriced gold coins he has bought.

  2. #32
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    So I see American has fallen for yet another round of BS fear mongering. It makes me wonder how many overpriced gold coins he has bought.
    I enjoy keeping you wondering, it's amusing.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet | The Weekly Standard

    European Parliament warns against UN internet control | Technology


    The US should never relinquish control of the Internet. The Internet has flourished on US leadership, and it's not worth the chance of screwing it up. This is way too important to let the UN just willy-nilly take over.

    The title of the Weekly Standard piece seems somewhat misleading. The article talks only about authoritarian governments controlling content available to their country. As the article states, most of the proposals ignore how the internet actually works. Much ado about surfing.

  4. #34
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Yea uhh just in case anyone was wondering i believe this has been debunked by RLN

    Sorry, American, but this idea is horse-hokey.

    NY Times Advertisement
    So can we move on or are we still gonna sit through the "I hate the UN" rants?


  5. #35
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Say again?
    Oh, right, I forgot that in the right-wing universe, voluntarily agreeing to rules with other countries is an ATTACK ON ARE SOVEREIGNTY. That regulation is the same thing as control. I have a book on my desk labeled "Federal Aviation Regulations," I didn't realize this means the government controls my business! Here I've been hiring people without getting approval from my local FAA office, am I going to go to jail?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #36
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Oh, right, I forgot that in the right-wing universe, voluntarily agreeing to rules with other countries is an ATTACK ON ARE SOVEREIGNTY. That regulation is the same thing as control. I have a book on my desk labeled "Federal Aviation Regulations," I didn't realize this means the government controls my business! Here I've been hiring people without getting approval from my local FAA office, am I going to go to jail?

    Welcome from the slumber friend....Regulation is absolutely governmental control. I don't know what your business is, or what regulations they have on your specific practices, such as hiring/firing but more and more regulations are written every year that costs business billions in compliance. So, just hang around, they'll get to it if they feel they need to.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #37
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,841

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    So I see American has fallen for yet another round of BS fear mongering. It makes me wonder how many overpriced gold coins he has bought.
    Yes, he has - bwaahaahaahaa!

    Wolverines! Run for the hills! Take bottled water and firecrackers! Save yourselves!
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  8. #38
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Welcome from the slumber friend....Regulation is absolutely governmental control. I don't know what your business is, or what regulations they have on your specific practices, such as hiring/firing but more and more regulations are written every year that costs business billions in compliance. So, just hang around, they'll get to it if they feel they need to.
    So, you seem to be saying that there are degrees of control, some of which are acceptable and some of which are not? And that perhaps one should discuss a particular regulation rather than just widely declaring that all regulation is bad?

    What a novel concept.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #39
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The UN does not want to take control of the Internet... most countries want the US to loose control because of its abuse of the system time and time again. The obvious place to put such control is the UN, most likely in an organisation under the UN... like UNESCO and WHO and WTO.
    So, because you folks don't like what we have done under a primarily US-run system, you want us to relinquish control?

    Why give it away when we don't need or want to?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #40
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    So, you seem to be saying that there are degrees of control, some of which are acceptable and some of which are not? And that perhaps one should discuss a particular regulation rather than just widely declaring that all regulation is bad?

    What a novel concept.

    Well, sure....but in the macro, I think that an additional 80,000 pages of new regulation being churned out per year is excessive....When Obama came into office in '09 he promised that he was going to carefully examine regs and streamline those that were unnecessary, and try and make it easier to comply for business as a way to help the economy. Instead what we have gotten from him is end runs around congress through his regulatory bodies like HHS, and EPA to put in place what he could never pass as law. Do you think this is an honest way to govern?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •