Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    This is great news!
    Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois - chicagotribune.com
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    I agree. That is very good news. If the people who work for the public are afraid of the public checking on their work its a problem - for me anyway.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    Good news for all.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    One of the things in this case that really bugs me is the government spent money on attorneys to protect the state against the people. Kind of sounds like something going on in Egypt not Illinois.


    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This is great news!

  5. #5
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This is great news!
    In this day and age of Big Brother looking at me no matter where I go, This OP just might be the best news that I've ever heard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    So long as people realize that just because you have a piece of video showing the police doing something you believe to be wrong doesn't mean they actually ARE/WERE doing something wrong, or that everyone who views the video is going to agree that it's wrong.

    We currently have a piece of video floating around New England showing Rhode Island Police forcing teens to do pushups after being caught vandalizing someone's property. Some people around here are in an absolute outrage over it. Most of us really don't see what the problem is.

  7. #7
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    So long as people realize that just because you have a piece of video showing the police doing something you believe to be wrong doesn't mean they actually ARE/WERE doing something wrong, or that everyone who views the video is going to agree that it's wrong.
    That's fine, as long as we also remember that police are human and not pure and right all the time. Police and their sycophants like to say "If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" all the time when discussing suspects. Guess what, that's a two-way street. If the police themselves have nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear, and should not object to being recorded/filmed.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's fine, as long as we also remember that police are human and not pure and right all the time. Police and their sycophants like to say "If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" all the time when discussing suspects. Guess what, that's a two-way street. If the police themselves have nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear, and should not object to being recorded/filmed.
    True. However, when there's a question of who is in the Right and who is in the Wrong, I'm going to side with the LEO 99% of the time until it can be definitively proven they were in the wrong.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    One of the things in this case that really bugs me is the government spent money on attorneys to protect the state against the people. Kind of sounds like something going on in Egypt not Illinois.
    here in this place called america we have these things called courts. in courts people present both sides, not just one. Yes, that often means that at some time or another a completely stupid point will be defended. Still, this defense is guaranteed for all of us so that the government cannot say you personally cannot defend yourself because someone does not feel your case has merrit. Where i do agree the law was absurd and needed to be challenged, it also needs to be defended.

    So feel glad that notion is there because it protects you. Seriously, sometimes people really amaze me when they want to toss out their own rights and allow government officials to simply decide they are not worth defending in court. if that is the land you really want i am sure there are some places in this world that would allow the government to decide, without trial, your fate.

  10. #10
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    True. However, when there's a question of who is in the Right and who is in the Wrong, I'm going to side with the LEO 99% of the time until it can be definitively proven they were in the wrong.
    How do you feel about recording/filming police in their work?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •