Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 151

Thread: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

  1. #141
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Again I will ask you specifically a simple question....Do you see the tax code as a tool to punish wealth?
    a review of his posts suggests that is the case

  2. #142
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Again I will ask you specifically a simple question....Do you see the tax code as a tool to punish wealth?
    I think that's a ridiculous question. Asking a wealthy person to pay an appropriate tax rate to ensure that everyone suffers the same is not punishing them. A similar question to you would be, do you think that the tax code should coddle the wealthy?

  3. #143
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a review of his posts suggests that is the case
    The tax code is a way for the uber-wealthy to throw obstacles at those trying to join their club. The super wealthy pay an overall significantly lower rate then most other people. But in the gap between rich and uber rich, you get whacked. The tax rate on $100 million invested between 15% cap gains and dividends and tax exempted munis is a heck of a lot less then what someone like me pays on earned income.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #144
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by JRog View Post
    I think that's a ridiculous question. Asking a wealthy person to pay an appropriate tax rate to ensure that everyone suffers the same is not punishing them. A similar question to you would be, do you think that the tax code should coddle the wealthy?
    in other words yes. appropriate has no meaning. the base line is people should pay for what they use. the rich pay far more than that the tax code is blatantly unfair to the rich based on value received

  5. #145
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    The tax code is a way for the uber-wealthy to throw obstacles at those trying to join their club. The super wealthy pay an overall significantly lower rate then most other people. But in the gap between rich and uber rich, you get whacked. The tax rate on $100 million invested between 15% cap gains and dividends and tax exempted munis is a heck of a lot less then what someone like me pays on earned income.
    I agree. the uber wealthy support progressive income taxes and death taxes since it impedes access to the uber wealthy club.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Pick up a history book or two. You might find that Ike, JFK, Reagan and Clinton were flaming commies as well. Or you could develop a sense of nuance in lieu of reactionary caterwauling.
    JFK and Reagan were commies? Lolz. I'd probably buy Clinton and Ike have socialist leanings. However, I read the other two names on that list and thought some of the marijuana I use to smoke had come back to haunt me.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #147
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,046

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by JRog View Post
    As a result of technological breakthroughs, the addition of women in the workplace, and extension and regularity of credit. The decreases in capital gains taxes followed the growth of consumerism to provide the capital for growth, not the demand required for it.
    As a result of increased activity in trade markets due to lowering capital gains taxes.

  8. #148
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    in other words yes. appropriate has no meaning. the base line is people should pay for what they use. the rich pay far more than that the tax code is blatantly unfair to the rich based on value received
    Not really. If you are buying insurance on 15 multi-million dollar homes, would you pay more than someone who only has one home or someone who rents? The answer is yes, because you stand to lose more in the event of disaster. As such, a wealthy person benefits far more from military, police and fire protection than a poor person. They also, through their businesses, have much greater interest in overseas business than a poorer person. They benefited more from the wars in the middle east, as their companies, or those which they have ownership interest made a lot of money through rebuilding.

    They also benefit more from FDIC insurance, and have much greater individual control of our politicial system through their financial contributions to politicians.

    Additionally, wealthy people use the court system much more than poor people, both personally and through their businesses. Through their businesses and business ownership, they use the roads, import/export facilities and legal system.

    So, no, wealthy people don't use less or the same of the governmental "commons" as everyone else.

  9. #149
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    As a result of increased activity in trade markets due to lowering capital gains taxes.
    No....the purchase of stock has never caused a business to grow. As I stated above, capital investment is not revenue, and companies don't grow due to capital investment. If you owned a business with demand of 100 widgets per month, and you were meeting or exceeding that demand, and I offered to invest in your business, would you expand to produce 200 widgets when demand is still 100? Remember that I didn't GIVE you money, I lent it to you for ownership interest, and now own a part of your revenue.

    In an economy where demand exceeds production capability, yes a lower capital gains tax migh (and I stress MIGHT) help, but in reality if a business deal is good, a tax impact of 3% is not going to dissuade anyone from investing. In our economy, demand is low.

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,046

    Re: The Millionaires Who Pay the Highest Tax Rate

    Quote Originally Posted by JRog View Post
    No....the purchase of stock has never caused a business to grow. As I stated above, capital investment is not revenue, and companies don't grow due to capital investment. If you owned a business with demand of 100 widgets per month, and you were meeting or exceeding that demand, and I offered to invest in your business, would you expand to produce 200 widgets when demand is still 100? Remember that I didn't GIVE you money, I lent it to you for ownership interest, and now own a part of your revenue.

    In an economy where demand exceeds production capability, yes a lower capital gains tax migh (and I stress MIGHT) help, but in reality if a business deal is good, a tax impact of 3% is not going to dissuade anyone from investing. In our economy, demand is low.
    Lowering capital gains results in new investment, dividends, and business activities which increase shareholder value.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •