Page 86 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #851
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,581

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Nothing new here. Any buisness, big or small, would do the same thing.

    1: How many other private companies do you know offers thier employee's scholarships?
    2: Wal-Mart doesn't even have to offer any scholarships. There is no reason that they should have to offer it at all.

    Considering that Wal-Mart doesn't have to pay an employee sick time at all I'd say that this is pretty generous. Nor does Wal-Mart have to pay vacation time. I do not get paid vacation time, nor do I get 2 weeks off for vacation in my first year. I do after 2 years but I still don't get paid for that time off. What's the difference between me and those that work at Wal-Mart?

    Are you under the assumption that people have a right to get paid for thier sick days when they are not providing any service to the company? Or during vacation time? See thats the difference between my position and yours. You want them to get paid for them doing nothing. I want to get paid for doing something and have nor problem for not getting paid when I don't do something.

    That 2 days is personal days. It does not include sick time or vacation time. And if its by the year then that would be 4 days, not 2.

    If those people want to make that much per year then perhaps they should start thier own buisness?
    Have I crossed over into the Twilight Zone? Every company I have ever worked for offered paid time off to full time employees. And the company I work for now offers assistance for higher education to its employees (not scholarships, it's a benefit extended to all full time employees), and long ago when I went to college, the company my mother worked for automatically gave me $1000 for enrolling, and it would have paid a percentage of the costs if she wanted to go.

    The reason I'm saying Walmart should do these things, though, is not because I think all companies should offer sick pay and scholarships, it's because of the one part of my message that you failed to quote or respond to. The part about the average employee there making under $9 dollars per hour, which barely pays the rent for these people.

    Regardless of what you want to claim, not all these people can go work somewhere else. They should extend the benefits I have at my job to their employees because they are barely getting by. I don't want them to "get paid for nothing." I want them to have opportunity and some manner of comfort if they are working every bit as hard as their other Americans yet making $8 dollars an hour at the largest retail corporation in the United States, a business who has seen their revenues increase every single year.
    A working class hero is something to be

  2. #852
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    like i said, everything in my post is correct....the employees in the shop ARE THE UNION.

    And when they compile their demands not on what is best for the long term outlook on their own jobs, but rather what goodies they can force the company to cede to them, whether or not it would hurt the company in the long run, they take the very ignorant, short sighted view, and later end up without what they bargained for....Ask Hostess, Ask Bethlehem Steel, Ask any of the former union members now on the line with nothing but a $50 stipend from the union, and a "gee we're sorry".... Suckers.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #853
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Have I crossed over into the Twilight Zone? Every company I have ever worked for offered paid time off to full time employees. And the company I work for now offers assistance for higher education to its employees (not scholarships, it's a benefit extended to all full time employees), and long ago when I went to college, the company my mother worked for automatically gave me $1000 for enrolling, and it would have paid a percentage of the costs if she wanted to go.

    The reason I'm saying Walmart should do these things, though, is not because I think all companies should offer sick pay and scholarships, it's because of the one part of my message that you failed to quote or respond to. The part about the average employee there making under $9 dollars per hour, which barely pays the rent for these people.

    Regardless of what you want to claim, not all these people can go work somewhere else. They should extend the benefits I have at my job to their employees because they are barely getting by. I don't want them to "get paid for nothing." I want them to have opportunity and some manner of comfort if they are working every bit as hard as their other Americans yet making $8 dollars an hour at the largest retail corporation in the United States, a business who has seen their revenues increase every single year.
    If people stopped applying for jobs at walmart they would be forced to raise pay and/or benefits. Supply and demand are not always nice to the unskilled----thats just life, if you don't like it increase your skills or get some education, work harder than the next guy and move into management.

    your argument makes all people sound like incompetent dufusses.
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  4. #854
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    This whole thread makes me question how old RGacky is. Anyone can do what the Walton family does?

    Anyone can do what the Walton family does? Usually it's the 15 year old "basement socialists" who violently masturbate to Das Kapital that think CEOs are do-nothings that take 3 hour lunches and have 10am tee times at the country club. How anyone can have this mentality and reserve enough brain activity to use small tools and walk in a straight line is beyond me.

  5. #855
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Have I crossed over into the Twilight Zone? Every company I have ever worked for offered paid time off to full time employees. And the company I work for now offers assistance for higher education to its employees (not scholarships, it's a benefit extended to all full time employees), and long ago when I went to college, the company my mother worked for automatically gave me $1000 for enrolling, and it would have paid a percentage of the costs if she wanted to go.

    The reason I'm saying Walmart should do these things, though, is not because I think all companies should offer sick pay and scholarships, it's because of the one part of my message that you failed to quote or respond to. The part about the average employee there making under $9 dollars per hour, which barely pays the rent for these people.

    Regardless of what you want to claim, not all these people can go work somewhere else. They should extend the benefits I have at my job to their employees because they are barely getting by. I don't want them to "get paid for nothing." I want them to have opportunity and some manner of comfort if they are working every bit as hard as their other Americans yet making $8 dollars an hour at the largest retail corporation in the United States, a business who has seen their revenues increase every single year.
    Businesses don't compensate people the way they do in order to be charitable, to make their lives more fair, or for any other such altruistic reason.

    They do so solely out of their own self-interest. If offering generous extra benefits like scholarships or whatever makes people more devoted to the company and want to stick around and tolerate the undesirable aspects of the work, and if having low turnover is important to the type of work that it is, then in that case it would be in businesses' own best interests to compensate that work generously.

    But for other businesses or other types of work, it might not make any difference to the company if their employees are devoted or not (i.e. if turnover is low or high), and therefore it makes no business sense whatsoever to generously compensate those folks with various altruistic, humanistic, peace-and-love types of benefits. A cart-pusher at Walmart has to be able-bodied and that's it. And there is a new round of 16-year olds coming through every year who don't need a living wage (they live with their parents, all bills paid), who can do the job just as adequately, as the older kids graduate and head off to college or whatever. There is an endless supply of expendable labor to do jobs that require virtually no training, skills or intelligence, and so almost NOTHING is lost to the company when that person quits, because there are countless more in line to do that mindless stuff.

    Think about it as though you are paying a person out of your own wallet to carry your groceries inside for you. That poor bag carrier needs to pay his rent too, but it does not benefit you sufficiently to have your groceries carried inside by someone else to have to compensate him a "living wage."

    Think about it like you're pulling the cash out of your own wallet.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 11-27-12 at 04:18 PM.

  6. #856
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Supply and demand are not always nice to the unskilled----thats just life, if you don't like it increase your skills or get some education, work harder than the next guy and move into management.

    .
    bolded: and there you have it. there is an abundant supply of unskilled, uneducated people out there, way more than enough to meet the demand. If you want high wages...do something to elevate yourself out of the ranks of unskilled and uneducated. like I said earlier...if you are 40 years old and still stocking shelves at walmart...you need to take a hard look at yourself and determine why...instead of crying that walmart should pay you more for doing a job any 17 y/o HS dropout can perform equally well.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #857
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This I fundamentally don't buy. A company is more than the owner. In fact the companies success depends as much or more on the employees than ti does the owner. The larger the company the more this is true.
    Its actually a bit more simpler than this. You've heard of the "Circle of Life" right? The same principle applies to any company unless that company is run by one person. You cannot have one with out the other. No matter how big the company is. Someone is always at the top and someone is always at the bottom. The one at the top always gets to dictate what the one at the bottom does and gets. Thats just simple life and applies to more than just buisnesses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And it's not half way through the job. Instead, there are scheduled times when they negotiate, which would be like the next time I took the car in. The mechanic, as happens, would inform me of the need to raise prices, and I would weight that against my needs and begin a negotiation (and yes, it is possible to negotiate).
    But it is half way through the job that we are talking about. The time to negotiate is when you have leverage. That is at the begining just before you are hired and when you have proven that you deserve more due to <insert valid reason here> while already employed. We are currently talking about the latter.

    Let me consolidate my arguement here.

    I have no problem with people asking for raises or more benefits, particularly when they actually deserve it. What I am highly against is any employee DEMANDING that they get more. The kind of thing that the OP showed was just that, a group of employee's demanding that they get more for no other reason than that they think they deserve more. Even going so far as to try and impact Wal-Marts profits by going on strike. That to me is nothing more than a form of extortion.

    No company, no matter how big or how small, HAS to pay thier employee's more than minimum wage or give any benefits what so ever. Employee's have no right to more than what they negotiate for. What the company is willing to pay. Yes there is a lot of rhetoric about how companies should do this and should do that, but that is the thing, whether they should do something and whether they have to do something is two totally different things. And when people demand more than what the company is giving them as if they deserve it and as if they have a right to it there is something fundementally wrong with thier thinking. They are thinking as if without them the company could not go on, but that is wrong. Because someone will always be willing to do that job for the same amount, or less, than what that person is being paid/given by the company. Not to mention it is not thier company. If they really think that they can run that company just as "easy" as the owner then they should go out and make thier own buisness.

    Do I think that Wal-Mart or other similar companies should pay thier employee's more? Yes I do. But that does not mean that I or they have a right to more...no matter how much the owner does or doesn't make. The owners of the company have a right to pay what they want to pay so long as it meets the federally mandated minimum wage. If they do not pay a certain amount then employee's will find other jobs or no one will want to work for them. That is the way the market works.

    In summary, employee's have no right to more than what the employer is willing to pay. Demanding more as if they have a right to more is wrong. Asking for more is OK.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #858
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Have I crossed over into the Twilight Zone? Every company I have ever worked for offered paid time off to full time employees. And the company I work for now offers assistance for higher education to its employees (not scholarships, it's a benefit extended to all full time employees), and long ago when I went to college, the company my mother worked for automatically gave me $1000 for enrolling, and it would have paid a percentage of the costs if she wanted to go.
    You must not have worked for very many companies...or have been really lucky. There are literally hundreds of companies in the areas that I have worked that do not offer paid vacation time...even less that offer paid sick time and only 1 that has offered any sort of advanced education opportunities. This has nothing to do with the Twighlight Zone and everything to do with reality of living at the low end of the 47%. Hell, I just learned today that the company I work for is going to start hiring part time workers to avoid having to offer them insurance when Obamacare kicks in. And the reason for that is simple, the owner simply cannot afford to pay for it. And I have no gauruntee that my hours won't be cut to go along with. In order to survive I and my wife will have to find two jobs in order to keep up with the amount we are getting now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    The reason I'm saying Walmart should do these things, though, is not because I think all companies should offer sick pay and scholarships, it's because of the one part of my message that you failed to quote or respond to. The part about the average employee there making under $9 dollars per hour, which barely pays the rent for these people.
    I make 9.25/hr. Yet every year I pay my rent a year in advance. How do I do that? Tax returns....just saying.

    In any case I am not argueing that Wal-Mart or other companies shouldn't pay more. I am argueing that they do not HAVE to pay more. Employee's do not have a right to more. Yet many argue that they have a right to more. They demand that the companies give them more. That is wrong. It is not thier company even if they do work there. They have no rights to more than minimum wage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Regardless of what you want to claim, not all these people can go work somewhere else. They should extend the benefits I have at my job to their employees because they are barely getting by. I don't want them to "get paid for nothing." I want them to have opportunity and some manner of comfort if they are working every bit as hard as their other Americans yet making $8 dollars an hour at the largest retail corporation in the United States, a business who has seen their revenues increase every single year.
    Actually they can find work someplace else. I know of several jobs not only in my area but also in other states that offer better pay even with the same experiance and ability that most Wal-Mart workers have. Though the jobs are harder physically. Some of those companies are even so desperate for employees that they are even offering to pay the employee to move over to thier state. Providing gas money to get there, and housing. There is no lack of jobs available. It is whether those people are willing to do the kind of work that is available or not. The ONLY reason that I don't take advantage of some of those jobs is due to my wife not wanting to move.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #859
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Never. If he wants to get a better waiting job, he needs to get to know the manager/employees of a better restaurant or their (Facebook) friends on a personal level.
    From my experience waiting tables in college, it did not work like this.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #860
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    One thing that I've grown to be pissed off about is the term "liveable wage". Is there a more subjective economic term out there?

    Apparently people are upset that a minimum wage job doesn't necessarily allow them a house, a new car in the driveway, and vacations every year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •