Page 78 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #771
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    A: They don't "keep it going" an army of managers and executives do, also they already ahve a model.
    Yet they still have to make decisions that only they, as the owners are allowed to make. As for the "they already have a model", your purposely ignoring what thier father had to go through to build that company. Why is that?

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    B: The same argument could be made pro-monarchy ... just because its hard to achieve a certain kind of power doesn't justify the power.
    Except that the difference between a monarchy and Wal-Mart is that people willingly sign on to join Wal-Mart and are able to quit if they want.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #772
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Yet they still have to make decisions that only they, as the owners are allowed to make. As for the "they already have a model", your purposely ignoring what thier father had to go through to build that company. Why is that?
    Because we arn't talking about their father .... Also even IF they work hard, they don't get their money from their work, they get it from controlling capital, if it is from their hard work then put it up to a vote, if they are really indispensible to the company the workforce would vote them compensations that are comprable to what they get now ....

    We have examples of this in cooperatives, managers generally get paid somewhat more, but not nearly as much as they do when they choose their own compensation in capitalist firms.

    Except that the difference between a monarchy and Wal-Mart is that people willingly sign on to join Wal-Mart and are able to quit if they want.
    Doesn't change the point. BTW, you can move out of a monarchy if you want.

  3. #773
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Nothing new here. Any buisness, big or small, would do the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    And they offer scholarships. They should offer assistance to a large percentage of their employees and not just a few select ones. Saying Walmart employees can get scholarships is like saying that you can win the Powerball jackpot (you'd be more likely to get a scholarship I'm sure but you get the point)
    1: How many other private companies do you know offers thier employee's scholarships?
    2: Wal-Mart doesn't even have to offer any scholarships. There is no reason that they should have to offer it at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    And not all Walmart employees get vacation time and sick time. In fact, here's a depressing article about their policies regarding paid time off.
    Considering that Wal-Mart doesn't have to pay an employee sick time at all I'd say that this is pretty generous. Nor does Wal-Mart have to pay vacation time. I do not get paid vacation time, nor do I get 2 weeks off for vacation in my first year. I do after 2 years but I still don't get paid for that time off. What's the difference between me and those that work at Wal-Mart?

    Are you under the assumption that people have a right to get paid for thier sick days when they are not providing any service to the company? Or during vacation time? See thats the difference between my position and yours. You want them to get paid for them doing nothing. I want to get paid for doing something and have nor problem for not getting paid when I don't do something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Wow, 2 days paid time off a year?! Sign me up! And let's not pass up the most important thing of all. The average employee there makes less than 9 dollars an hour. So even if they work 40 hours a week, they'd make just over $1,000 a month after taxes and if they are on the health care plan, almost all of their money would go toward paying rent.
    That 2 days is personal days. It does not include sick time or vacation time. And if its by the year then that would be 4 days, not 2.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    These are the people who work at the store with a $450 billion dollar revenue this year.
    If those people want to make that much per year then perhaps they should start thier own buisness?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #774
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Conflating the two makes his point. Congratulations.
    if the point is that working at Wal Mart is little better than a root canal then perhaps he did make that point. Sadly, the root canal - once done - is over while the drone like WM job keeps hurting day after day after day. So perhaps we should change it to a series of never ending root canals.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #775
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, it doesn't. What you speak of would raise employee salaries, skilled workers, and not CEO pay, not at the level we're speaking of.
    That is incorrect. The shift to a globalized information-driven economy has not really effected the shelf stocker job. It has massively effected the CEO job. Both are paid according to their value added, and one just happens to have what this economy will leverage far more.

    They are largely over rated and need a sound work force, without show we've seen them fail. Interesting though that you'd try and make excuses for the foolish practice of overpaying them.
    If knowledge workers were overrated, then they would not be getting paid the way they are en masse. Though it is interesting that you think that you have greater subject matter expertise and knowledge than the combined knowledge of millions of directly-involved decision makers.

  6. #776
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    everything in my post is correct
    If and only if a union were strictly between a business and its workers.

  7. #777
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    There's a great barrack-room lawyer's response!
    Maybe if companies were required to do due diligence on their suppliers to ensure that the the same health and safety standards were applied as if they were in-country, then these things wouldn't happen.
    You're right, they would leave those supplying countries; sending them back into absolute poverty, starvation, and war. You don't want that do you?

  8. #778
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,734

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    if the point is that working at Wal Mart is little better than a root canal then perhaps he did make that point. Sadly, the root canal - once done - is over while the drone like WM job keeps hurting day after day after day. So perhaps we should change it to a series of never ending root canals.
    Which is why you dont have credibility on this issue, over the top hyperbole doesnt do much to convince people. Move along.

  9. #779
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,269

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I knew I was wasting my time the moment I typed "the least you can do is try to understand it." It should have been obvious to me that you set your bar a little lower than the point of comprehension. I was comparing the psychological reasons that compel people to stay in a situation that is detrimental to their long term well being and I made that clear.

    The people who work at Walmart work incredibly hard. I was there on Thursday night and I saw hundreds of people running around the store and I remember working in retail (and the time a coffee shop I worked at ran a promotion where they gave away free blended drinks which was traumatic) and it's amazing what those people do. You've deflected a lot of other people's opinions but aren't eager to offer up your own. Why do Walmart employees stay there? Do they like their jobs? Do they deserve whatever they get because they can walk out the door at any time and find a new job, but they don't?

    I've already shared my opinion as to why they stay there. But whatever the reason is, this much is clear - they work extremely hard, they are the foundation of Walmart and they deserve to have a voice and fair compensation. Also, while I think most Walmart employees want more in life than what they've got, some of them simply don't care about getting rich, but that doesn't mean they're forfeiting their right to speak up for themselves. They shouldn't live knowing they'll lose their house if their child gets cancer just because they don't make enough money to afford a top shelf health care policy.
    First, you cannot declare by your personal observation at a single store on a thursday night that all the people at Wal Mart work 'incredibly hard.' I suspect they work no harder than emplyees of K Mart, Target, Hollister, Toys R Us, or any one of a thousand other retail stores that pay roughly the same and have exactly the same working conditions. Second, you claim to have worked in retail, how much did you make? Why are you no longer there? Did you use that retail experience to get a better job? And could it not be said that you exploited the retailer you worked for in that they hired you, trained you, and gave you the work experience you needed to move up in the world, then left them?

  10. #780
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,734

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Yeah .... and the reason that they have that is because of the leadership system, instead of looking at short term profits they look at long term viability and workmanship, and that is because the board is run half by the workers, who have a much more long term stake in the buisiness than liquid shareholders, they also stop outsourcing and they make sure that the benefits go to the workers and not just to profits.
    Way to go ignore history. Germany has had a manufacturing reputation since prior to WW2. Leadership is part of it, its certainly not all of it. Youre wrong about German board makeup, by the way, as well. Unions and mgmt work out conciliatory compromises, its not an us versus them mentality that has always existed between unions and business here in the US.

    Its funny, I believe thats sort of what Hostess offered was a 25% stake in the company and the union turned it down. shrug

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •