Page 70 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #691
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I don't go to football games, sports never interested me like that.
    But Walmart isn't making huge profits compared to their revenue.

    Their margin is 3.57%.
    That works out to about 15 billion dollars.

  2. #692
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think right now they are still buying, pushing out competition. Bad for all of us when they win. But, that really wasn't my point. If paying employees were important, they'd find a way to do it.
    Their average wage is above $10 an hour.
    For retail, that's good.

    As a former manager in retail and fast food, I never made that much.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #693
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Maybe the owners were stupid. I can't say. But to paid that kind of money, as many have, only to see failure seems excessive to me. Still, historically, I belive, CEOs tended to make 20 times employee salaries. Today some make as much as 671 times those salaries according to a chart I saw earlier today. Unsure how to not call that excessive. It also breds a lot of discontent, and helps crerate an hostile relationship between labor and managment.
    The only failure I have seen from the CEO of Hostess was his failure to bow down and kiss the ass of the Unions, to me that is not a failure.

    Who cares what a CEO gets paid? Only some jealous fool who thinks they could do the same job but really cannot. Labor is a competitive market. Supply and demand set labor costs, or should if Unions and government didn't interfere with the process. If an employee wants to be more valuable and earn more pay, then it is incumbent upon the individual to make themselves more valuable. Unions are the refuge of the lazy and incompetent who don't want to learn skills to make themselves more valuable. They want skilled wages without the effort of becoming skilled and thus more valuable. Most Union jobs really are nothing more than unskilled labor that is cheap and easily replaceable but think they deserve the same as those who put forth effort and better themselves.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #694
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    That works out to about 15 billion dollars.
    Yea, it's actually $16.5 billion, but 33% is distributed in dividends and of course they either hold the rest for liquidity/float or they use it for further investment purposes.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #695
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think right now they are still buying, pushing out competition. Bad for all of us when they win. But, that really wasn't my point. If paying employees were important, they'd find a way to do it.
    If there wasn't a glut of unskilled, unemployed labor, then they might actually have to pay more and it would become important to them. Not going to happen during our lifetimes.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #696
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,425

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And what Hostess did was poor management. They decided to pay high CEO pay, likely with a good golden parachute, and not tie it to results. This guy made a fortune and saw the doors close. Odd how some see bad workers and not bad management.
    How do you know if it was poor management?
    If you believe poor management necessarily results in a struggling business, you are wrong.
    If you believe superb management necessarily results in a thriving business, you are wrong.

    Funny as **** because you routinely cry about how teachers are NOT responsible for student performance, and there we're talking about an actual teacher, teaching a handful of students directly, on one specific subject, with fairly well-known teaching techniques and material available to everyone.

    But the CEO who runs a giant company, not really given the power directly to control everything, and basically subject in large part to markets....these guys, oh no, here comes Boo holding up a sign of "they are individually responsible!!"

    You never fail to disappoint.

  7. #697
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Their average wage is above $10 an hour.
    For retail, that's good.

    As a former manager in retail and fast food, I never made that much.
    When and where might make a difference.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #698
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    How do you know if it was poor management?
    If you believe poor management necessarily results in a struggling business, you are wrong.
    If you believe superb management necessarily results in a thriving business, you are wrong.

    Funny as **** because you routinely cry about how teachers are NOT responsible for student performance, and there we're talking about an actual teacher, teaching a handful of students directly, on one specific subject, with fairly well-known teaching techniques and material available to everyone.

    But the CEO who runs a giant company, not really given the power directly to control everything, and basically subject in large part to markets....these guys, oh no, here comes Boo holding up a sign of "they are individually responsible!!"

    You never fail to disappoint.
    Just using their arguments.

    And frankly, business, making a ding dong, is a lot easier than teaching any human being anything.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #699
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    extends unemployment benefits for 13 months. Freebee

    includes a one-year Social Security tax cut, among other measures. SS is what you pay in you get back at some point. Not paying in and still getting the benefit is a freebee

    the taxes would have affected the middle class too if not signed in it's present state. No taxes for the middle class, a freebee, cut taxes for everyone

    included tax breaks for millions of college students and their families and extensions of the earned income tax credit and $1,000-per-child tax credit.
    college students get freebees, tax breaks, also called subsidies, I call them freebee
    Unemployment benefits are derived from a fund that employers ( and in some areas employees as well) contribute to in a manner not unlike FICA taxes (Specified percentage of any particular employees paycheck set aside for a specific venture.)

    Oh employees still pay into the SSTF, despite the reduction in percentage. 6.2 to 4.2 for a temporary time period, a reduction more than compensated for by the interest accrued on said employees prior and future contributions.

    No tax cut for the middle class, simply an extension of previous policy. There you go again labeling a tax cut as a freebie though, might it be time to rethink that Conservative lean?

    The subsidy you speak of was simply a federal contribution to the Stafford Fund which insured against a doubling of student loan interest rates. A good investment if you ask me, and Mitt Romney as well. Avoiding lumping more debt onto the backs of those entering an anemic labor market is in the best interest of just about everyone involved.

  10. #700
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    The only failure I have seen from the CEO of Hostess was his failure to bow down and kiss the ass of the Unions, to me that is not a failure.

    Who cares what a CEO gets paid? Only some jealous fool who thinks they could do the same job but really cannot. Labor is a competitive market. Supply and demand set labor costs, or should if Unions and government didn't interfere with the process. If an employee wants to be more valuable and earn more pay, then it is incumbent upon the individual to make themselves more valuable. Unions are the refuge of the lazy and incompetent who don't want to learn skills to make themselves more valuable. They want skilled wages without the effort of becoming skilled and thus more valuable. Most Union jobs really are nothing more than unskilled labor that is cheap and easily replaceable but think they deserve the same as those who put forth effort and better themselves.
    If you only see two options, than youmight not see a failure. I suspect there were more than two.

    No, it's just human nature that you can't tell another to tighten his belt while you're stuffing yourself at the buffet.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •