Page 69 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #681
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    And yet another union failure. They failed.
    Both sides failed. The CEO was just paid better to fail.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #682
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, but it means there is another view. Workers are demonized constantly. Too sledom to we place any balme on management. There was likely a way out of this, as there often is. But whenever you make it us against them, it is seldom productive. There are bsuiness who see employees as an asset, and avoid this type of confrontation and work with employees to make arrangements, and do it without the excessive CEO salaries.
    Define "excessive CEO salaries"? You may see it as excessive because they could of given you more, but obviously, the owners/shareholders don't see it as excessive. If I owned a company and the CEO led the company to a $150 million profit, I would have no problems tossing that person $10 or even $20 million. Finding a CEO that can make you that kind of profits, or higher, is hardly the same as finding some high-school dropout to stand around and scan items at a register. At $10 an hour, the labor market provides them with all they can hire plus some, CEOs that make you profits are not so easy to come by and are thus infinitely more valuable.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #683
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Define "excessive CEO salaries"? You may see it as excessive because they could of given you more, but obviously, the owners/shareholders don't see it as excessive. If I owned a company and the CEO led the company to a $150 million profit, I would have no problems tossing that person $10 or even $20 million. Finding a CEO that can make you that kind of profits, or higher, is hardly the same as finding some high-school dropout to stand around and scan items at a register. At $10 an hour, the labor market provides them with all they can hire plus some, CEOs that make you profits are not so easy to come by and are thus infinitely more valuable.
    Maybe the owners were stupid. I can't say. But to paid that kind of money, as many have, only to see failure seems excessive to me. Still, historically, I belive, CEOs tended to make 20 times employee salaries. Today some make as much as 671 times those salaries according to a chart I saw earlier today. Unsure how to not call that excessive. It also breds a lot of discontent, and helps create an hostile relationship between labor and managment.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 11-26-12 at 06:49 PM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #684
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Maybe the owners were stupid. I can't say. But to paid that kind of money, as many have, only to see failure seems excessive to me. Still, historically, I belive, CEOs tended to make 20 times employee salaries. Today some make as much as 671 times those salaries according to a chart I saw earlier today. Unsure how to not call that excessive. It also breds a lot of discontent, and helps crerate an hostile relationship between labor and managment.
    You're going to have a higher CEO salary to employee ratio with Walmart, because though the ordinary employee only needs a high school education, the executive skills still need to be Wall Street level for a multi-billion dollar company.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #685
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Used to cost us pennies to go to a football game. Players got more money, owners made more profit, but prices went up. Low prices put others out of business, but did so in pert at the expensive of the worker. Is this really the better way?
    I don't go to football games, sports never interested me like that.
    But Walmart isn't making huge profits compared to their revenue.

    Their margin is 3.57%.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #686
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You're going to have a higher CEO salary to employee ratio with Walmart, because though the ordinary employee only needs a high school education, the executive skills still need to be Wall Street level for a multi-billion dollar company.
    Again, this isn't really new, and yet, the salaries have increased from 20 times to 671 times. There really is no way not to see that as problematic.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #687
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I don't go to football games, sports never interested me like that.
    But Walmart isn't making huge profits compared to their revenue.

    Their margin is 3.57%.
    I think right now they are still buying, pushing out competition. Bad for all of us when they win. But, that really wasn't my point. If paying employees were important, they'd find a way to do it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #688
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    It has Americans talking about how Wal Mart and other corporations treat their employees. I call that something.
    I think it's much to do about nothing.
    Walmart has pretty standard benefits and pay for it's sector of the economy.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #689
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    That's fine, don't have any regard for them and you don't have to sympathize with them or empathize with them. But the very least you can do is understand what's going on. We're talking about Walmart employees who protest their jobs yet keep them, in case you've forgotten. People are motivated by fear - fear of the unknown, fear of losing their money or their friends or their house. Walmart will hire you if you don't have a solid education or proficient skills, they'll still hire you when a lot of other companies won't. And it's NOT because they think you'd make a great employee, it's because they hire people who can be paid minimum wage and get the shaft in every aspect of their employment and still not quit or even demand a raise. Most don't stick around too long but many of them do and of those that do are afraid of what I mentioned before: loss and discomfort. That's human, dawg. That's what we all do.

    When a woman can't bring herself to leave her abusive husband, do you say you have little regard for her and that if she was really abused she would have divorced him? Yes, that's a long way away from working at Walmart, but the important thing is that many (or arguably most) people find it impossible to make big changes in their lives, even when that change would greatly benefit them in the long run. And just because they are afraid to change doesn't mean that they should be exploited for that inability.
    This, in no way, is comparable to an abusive spouse relationship.
    That's actually pretty insulting to those who have been through real abuse.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #690
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,604

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Ironically, you dont see how you are proving his point.....
    feel free to elaborate .....

    tell us how working at Wal Mart and getting a root canal is an enjoyable experience.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •