Page 57 of 154 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #561
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    No, I want to have an institutional framework for the economy that works for everyone.
    We already have that, what you want is redistribution of income. Admit it.
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  2. #562
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    We already have that, what you want is redistribution of income. Admit it.
    Is that a bad thing? If someone works and provides 60,000 dollars a year in productivity gains and is only paid 20,000 a year isn't that a redistribution? Few people really believe that owners aren't deserving of profit but there's also a point where workers are due a portion of the results of their labor.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #563
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Wal-Mart style companies tend to have dysfunctional management, and promotion is more likely to be related to networking ability, favoritism, or (possibly) even sexual favors.
    And so it is with most companies, organizations, and every other human group. But that's not dysfunctional, thats human nature. If walmart is as dysfunctional as you claim, how did it become the worlds largest retailer? Why does it employ millions of people? If its such a terrible place to work, why are people applying for jobs there every day?

    No, your real issue is that you want the unions to take over the company, why not be honest about it?
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  4. #564
    Guru Bobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The BIG easy
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,646

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Is that a bad thing? If someone works and provides 60,000 dollars a year in productivity gains and is only paid 20,000 a year isn't that a redistribution? Few people really believe that owners aren't deserving of profit but there's also a point where workers are due a portion of the results of their labor.
    Workers are paid for doing a job, not for what they may contribute to the bottom line. If you want a share of the bottom line, buy stock in the company or start your own company. But remember, the company may fail and you will lose your money---its called risk and reward. the business owner is putting his money at risk, the employee is not.
    "Just get the hell out of my way" John Galt to the government in Atlas Shrugged.

  5. #565
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    This all boils down to consumers if you ask me. Walmart and others abuse their workers, pay them as little as possible and get away with it because the reality is thats what consumers want. Lets say Walmart pays better and offers better benefits. Logically they would then raise thier prices. That would piss everyone off and those people would then run to target. People dont give a **** about workers. Dont let the walmart workers strike support fool you. If you want to see if people support them look at the lines in the stores. Look at the profit margins.

    Working conditions, made in america, things that will help Americans < cheap. That is reality. Nothing will change until people stop spending their money with companies who's business ethics they agree with. It is the consumers fault that Walmart and many others treat their employees this way. They are simply giving in to your demands. consumer greed not corporate greed is the problem.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #566
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Workers are paid for doing a job, not for what they may contribute to the bottom line. If you want a share of the bottom line, buy stock in the company or start your own company. But remember, the company may fail and you will lose your money---its called risk and reward. the business owner is putting his money at risk, the employee is not.
    Sure that's reality. Ever since unions have been smashed by conservatives rising productivity hasn't meant rising wages. Hence the stagnant wages for decades that conservatives pretend to care about. Typically wages should rise with productivity...that's the whole "trick down" theory which has been thoroughly discredited.

    Bussiness owners are well compensated for taking risk. In what reality is that not the case? Better yet...how many fortune 500 companies are ran by managment that had any part in the founding of the companies they run?
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #567
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    This all boils down to consumers if you ask me. Walmart and others abuse their workers, pay them as little as possible and get away with it because the reality is thats what consumers want. Lets say Walmart pays better and offers better benefits. Logically they would then raise thier prices. That would piss everyone off and those people would then run to target. People dont give a **** about workers. Dont let the walmart workers strike support fool you. If you want to see if people support them look at the lines in the stores. Look at the profit margins.

    Working conditions, made in america, things that will help Americans < cheap. That is reality. Nothing will change until people stop spending their money with companies who's business ethics they agree with. It is the consumers fault that Walmart and many others treat their employees this way. They are simply giving in to your demands. consumer greed not corporate greed is the problem.
    I agree to a certain extent...if we're going to operate in this cowboy capitalism model...or Libertarian model then sure it's on the backs of consumers to become informed and shop based on their convictions. I personally think that's a recipe for disaster. As wages drop or remain stagnant individuals are less inclined to pay more for goods.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  8. #568
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Sure that's reality. Ever since unions have been smashed by conservatives rising productivity hasn't meant rising wages. Hence the stagnant wages for decades that conservatives pretend to care about. Typically wages should rise with productivity...that's the whole "trick down" theory which has been thoroughly discredited.

    Bussiness owners are well compensated for taking risk. In what reality is that not the case? Better yet...how many fortune 500 companies are ran by managment that had any part in the founding of the companies they run?
    The rising productivity reported has little to do with workers and more to do with more efficient methods and equipment. Please tell me on what theory you base your notion that wages should rise with productivity.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #569
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Is that a bad thing? If someone works and provides 60,000 dollars a year in productivity gains and is only paid 20,000 a year isn't that a redistribution? Few people really believe that owners aren't deserving of profit but there's also a point where workers are due a portion of the results of their labor.
    Isn't that why we promote the leaders and most effective employees?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #570
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,802

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I agree to a certain extent...if we're going to operate in this cowboy capitalism model...or Libertarian model then sure it's on the backs of consumers to become informed and shop based on their convictions. I personally think that's a recipe for disaster. As wages drop or remain stagnant individuals are less inclined to pay more for goods.
    I already said something earlier in the thread, its not libertarianism in the slightest. Wal-Mart extracts a lot of competitive edge in tax breaks from every community they go into. Wal-Mart engages the system when it works for them, they will just have to live with it when it works against them.

    Prosperity is the biggest obstacle to Wal-Mart employment model. As employment opportunities increase, they will have to make stronger wage choices to retain and hire employees. That solves a lot of issues all around.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •