Page 42 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #411
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Greed is greed nothing about it. When your giant company can afford to treat, and pay the people that work and keep your company running you should do it. After all without these "no skill workers" your company would fail.
    What is 'more' greedy...a family who through hard work created an empire (which also BTW creates substantial wealth for others) or whiny people thinking they somehow have a right to that legacy?

    The job pays what any typical retail job pays. it provides above average opportunities for growth and progress. It provides a paycheck.

  2. #412
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,903

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Ha! It's really disappointing to me to see the number of posters who think our capitalistic system is a failure. I don't think this is a fair representation of the population at large, certainly not any of the people I personally know, but maybe the people who are so dead set against capitalism are young people who lacked opportunity...? Or avid union members...? I just don't know.

    Low-end jobs are always going to be there. They have to be. A WalMart Associate is not a career opportunity. It's a stepping stone. Or a fill-in job. To think that people believe that everyone has to earn a minimum of....what? $25,000 a year? Sounds absolutely ludicrous to me. It is never going to happen unless we inflate into it.

    Edit: And to think that a union at WalMart will eventually have cart pushers who've been with the company for 15 years making $40,000?? OMFG.
    And god forbid a customer deciding to grab a cart from the parking lot!
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    I read the links you posted. I don't trust them because they are mostly opinions from right wing rags, but the ones on Obamacare bring up some interesting points. However, what the articles fail to point out is that we are already paying for the uninsured with taxes. Our taxes won't go up, they will just be more clearly defined. Taxes on medical coverage are used to pay for the medical coverage of people who would most likely end up in the emergency room. Emergency room care is the most expensive form of medical care. By providing more affordable coverage and having that coverage address preventative care, we save the amount of money we spend in taxes each year to care for the uninsured. There is a real argument to be made here that the taxes we will pay to provide medical coverage for all Americans is wise. The way we have been doing it has been penny wise and pound foolish.
    As for the EPA articles you posted, they are all propaganda pieces as well. There are two sides to the argument. These links only provide one side of the argument. The other side is that without these regulations our air, land, and water become polluted. Once that happens, medical costs go up because pollution effects peoples health. The cost of cleaning up the pollution is passed on to the government which increases taxes. You see, the EPA was created for a reason, to protect the environment. Had the EPA and pollution regulations not been put into play, our Gulf Coast would still be an oily mess which effects the economy greatly. We can not allow corporations to opporate regulation free because they will not clean up their own messes or pay for the damage they cause unless they are forced to.
    Businesses are/should be forced to clean up their mess. But the environmentalists (especially the ones at my college, gag me) have gotten to the point of hysteria when it comes to opposing things such as natural gas. Fracking may not be perfected yet, but this is an issue of engineering, not of public opinion. It's been safe in a majority of the cases, but the minor cases it has had have been blown up to infinity. Some of those cases had nothing to do with fracking, and other even more have been completely false. Not to mention its not like most of this environmentalists know anything about engineering or management anyways. And when public hysteria starts overtaking sound regulatory and business practices, is when I start to distrust the EPA.

  4. #414
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Businesses are/should be forced to clean up their mess. But the environmentalists (especially the ones at my college, gag me) have gotten to the point of hysteria when it comes to opposing things such as natural gas. Fracking may not be perfected yet, but this is an issue of engineering, not of public opinion. It's been safe in a majority of the cases, but the minor cases it has had have been blown up to infinity. Some of those cases had nothing to do with fracking, and other even more have been completely false. Not to mention its not like most of this environmentalists know anything about engineering or management anyways. And when public hysteria starts overtaking sound regulatory and business practices, is when I start to distrust the EPA.
    There are radicals on both sides. I don't agree with the far left or the far right on any issue. They both take the issues to the extreme.

  5. #415
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I think this is the essence of oir problems.

    They keep leaving oht part of the explanation when wages are stagnant and the working class is required to accept various cuts.

    "In order for the investor class to continue to harvest profits at the rate to which they have become accustomed, it is necessary for the working class to accept less (x)."
    And in turn the worker is always wanting more. Yet for everyone to continue to get goods that do not rise in cost, and for a business to even maintain its current level of profits, the worker can not have more.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  6. #416
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,588

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If you can't grow out of your comfort zone, don't cry about it.
    You're limiting yourself.

    If that's what is keeping them from earning more, I have little regard for them.
    That's fine, don't have any regard for them and you don't have to sympathize with them or empathize with them. But the very least you can do is understand what's going on. We're talking about Walmart employees who protest their jobs yet keep them, in case you've forgotten. People are motivated by fear - fear of the unknown, fear of losing their money or their friends or their house. Walmart will hire you if you don't have a solid education or proficient skills, they'll still hire you when a lot of other companies won't. And it's NOT because they think you'd make a great employee, it's because they hire people who can be paid minimum wage and get the shaft in every aspect of their employment and still not quit or even demand a raise. Most don't stick around too long but many of them do and of those that do are afraid of what I mentioned before: loss and discomfort. That's human, dawg. That's what we all do.

    When a woman can't bring herself to leave her abusive husband, do you say you have little regard for her and that if she was really abused she would have divorced him? Yes, that's a long way away from working at Walmart, but the important thing is that many (or arguably most) people find it impossible to make big changes in their lives, even when that change would greatly benefit them in the long run. And just because they are afraid to change doesn't mean that they should be exploited for that inability.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that Walmart employees are a lower class of people? Anyway, I think your speculation of how Walmart employees feel about Whole Foods is just that...speculation - and a bit hyperbolic at that.

    In any event, what makes you think Walmart has any "responsibility as a group of human beings"? (whatever that is)
    I used to work at Whole Foods and it's pretty close to how I described it. And no, I am not saying that Walmart employees are a lower class of people. I would say that the average Walmart employee is a lot more down to earth and the average Whole Foods employee is a lot more open minded. Those personality traits are irrelevant to the discussion except to provide an answer to your question.

    But what I was getting at was what I wrote in response to the Harry Guerilla. And as to your last sentence, Walmart's board of directors have a responsibility as a group of human beings to treat their employees reasonably well and make sure they have opportunities to improve their lives whether that means a wage increase, benefits, time off, education, or just compassion and the willingness to assist the individuals they employ and the community in which they exist. Somebody who works at a group home may have a job that consists entirely of feeding and clothing a disabled individual. But when that disabled individual is approaching the end of their life, the responsibility we all have as a human being is to help that individual in any way we can (again, within reason) no matter what our job description says. If corporations are people, they sure don't know how to show their feelings.
    A working class hero is something to be

  7. #417
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    And in turn the worker is always wanting more. Yet for everyone to continue to get goods that do not rise in cost, and for a business to even maintain its current level of profits, the worker can not have more.
    The way for the worker to "get more" in the real world is to become more proficient at his job, accept more responsibility, and get promoted -- or, even more likely -- to get a job at another company using the skills he's learned to advance his career.

    Unions, on the other hand, reward . . . what? They don't reward ingenuity. In fact, your ingenuity isn't even welcome. They don't reward accepting more responsibility. In fact, you'd better not take on more responsibility than your job classification requires. They don't reward working faster or better. In fact, you'd better not make the rate change on a job. Unions reward length of service. Whoop-dee-freakin-doo.

    I just don't get it. What a way to reward a worker. What a fine way to work together with a company to help them be profitable. Whoosh.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #418
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,897
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I used to work at Whole Foods and it's pretty close to how I described it. And no, I am not saying that Walmart employees are a lower class of people. I would say that the average Walmart employee is a lot more down to earth and the average Whole Foods employee is a lot more open minded. Those personality traits are irrelevant to the discussion except to provide an answer to your question.

    But what I was getting at was what I wrote in response to the Harry Guerilla. And as to your last sentence, Walmart's board of directors have a responsibility as a group of human beings to treat their employees reasonably well and make sure they have opportunities to improve their lives whether that means a wage increase, benefits, time off, education, or just compassion and the willingness to assist the individuals they employ and the community in which they exist. Somebody who works at a group home may have a job that consists entirely of feeding and clothing a disabled individual. But when that disabled individual is approaching the end of their life, the responsibility we all have as a human being is to help that individual in any way we can (again, within reason) no matter what our job description says. If corporations are people, they sure don't know how to show their feelings.
    This shows a decided lack of knowledge of things that Wal-Mart does for its employee's.

    1: Thier employee's get pretty darn good benefits...Wal-Mart health benefits and financial benefits

    2: Employee's do get vacation time and sick time which are seperate from each other.

    3: Thier employee's and dependents can also get scholarships...Wal-Mart and education

    Edit: Btw, I should also note that those health and financial benefits were offered when I worked there long before Obamacare came around.
    Last edited by Kal'Stang; 11-26-12 at 06:07 AM.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #419
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Walmart could raise wages 30% for EVERYONE and still be profitable ... Also the Walton family got their wealth very partially through their own work, and a LOT through other peoples work.

    Unions and industrial action are how workers get better conditions, thats been the case historically and thats the only way its gonna happen.

  10. #420
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,897
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Own? Not the word I would use. But I am part of the team. We need each other, so some give and take is better for both of us.
    Actually they don't need "you". They just need someone to do the job. And there is always someone willing to work that job at the pay they offer. If there wasn't then they would just increase the pay rate until someone did take the job. That's how the market works.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •