Page 41 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #401
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    there are far too many attorneys. many of them are churning frivolous cases trying to create work for themselves. Until we have a LOSER PAYS law this will continue. I have had 11 cases with an attorney 10 have been thrown out as having no merit, one we settled for nuisance value against our advice because the client wanted it. If he had been hit with loser pays for his first case (65K in fees, 5 K in costs) I doubt he would have filed the other cases. Feel free to try to get that approved

    You can also argue if doctors didn't have to go to accredited medical schools or pass state boards the cost of doctors' services would go down
    They certainly would

    The cost for many medical visits would drop drastically. Specialist costs probably not, as most people would not go to the local barbershop for brainsurgery, but it does not require a brain surgeon to reset a simple broken bone. The higher level of choices for the simple procedures (ie take two asprin and call me in the morning) will drive the costs much lower (due to the higher level of people providing the service)

    Imagine the cost of taxis in New York or Chicago if the government did not restrict the numbers artificially
    Last edited by Lord Tammerlain; 11-25-12 at 11:21 PM.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #402
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,767

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    The certainly would

    The cost for many medical visits would drop drastically. Specialist costs probably not, as most people would not go to the local barbershop for brainsurgery, but it does not require a brain surgeon to reset a simple broken bone. The higher level of choices for the simple procedures (ie take two asprin and call me in the morning) will drive the costs much lower (due to the higher level of people providing the service)

    Imagine the cost of taxis in New York or Chicago if the government did not restrict the numbers artificially
    good thinking, I await for you to change your lean to LIBERTARIAN!!

  3. #403
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    They certainly would

    The cost for many medical visits would drop drastically. Specialist costs probably not, as most people would not go to the local barbershop for brainsurgery, but it does not require a brain surgeon to reset a simple broken bone. The higher level of choices for the simple procedures (ie take two asprin and call me in the morning) will drive the costs much lower (due to the higher level of people providing the service)

    Imagine the cost of taxis in New York or Chicago if the government did not restrict the numbers artificially
    Depends on where the leg is broken at. One of the things happening due to reform is that lesser needs and procedures will likely be handled by less than the brain surgeon.

    Though I'm not sure either of you addressed med school. How unqualified do we want our surgeons?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #404
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Those strikes didn't do anything.
    Mainly because it wasn't initiated by the Walmart employees.
    It was started by the UCFW.

    It was astroturf.
    It has Americans talking about how Wal Mart and other corporations treat their employees. I call that something.

  5. #405
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    They certainly would

    The cost for many medical visits would drop drastically. Specialist costs probably not, as most people would not go to the local barbershop for brainsurgery, but it does not require a brain surgeon to reset a simple broken bone. The higher level of choices for the simple procedures (ie take two asprin and call me in the morning) will drive the costs much lower (due to the higher level of people providing the service)

    Imagine the cost of taxis in New York or Chicago if the government did not restrict the numbers artificially
    My broken femur has a rod in it and a bone graft. My hand took 5 and half hours to put back together it still hass 13 tiny screws in it.

  6. #406
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    My daughter worked there part time while going to college, as a cashier....
    if an item didn't have a price tag she would ask the customer how much it was, and rung it up...unless it looked like a high priced item. Her line was always among the fastest at getting the customer checked out. They liked her, and wanted her to stay after college, and with her degree in economics she probably would have done well there. But her husband's job was farm building construction and they had to travel too much for her to take the WalMart job.
    Now he has his own construction company, with a partner, and is doing well enough to put a 1/3 down payment on his own building, so no more renting....and she has a successful website business, with a partner, that makes very good money working from home.
    AND STILL she hasn't bought me a jaguar.....
    When I worked at Wall-Mart the policy gave cashiers a dollar amount of discretion when it came to contested or unknown prices. The idea was to keep the lines moving. If a price was unknown or a customer said it was tagged at a lower price than it rang up, I just did a little thing and changed the price and went on with the day.

  7. #407
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairytic View Post
    It has Americans talking about how Wal Mart and other corporations treat their employees. I call that something.
    It has us talking about how there's nothing to talk about. That's not really anything.

  8. #408
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It has us talking about how there's nothing to talk about. That's not really anything.
    Ha! It's really disappointing to me to see the number of posters who think our capitalistic system is a failure. I don't think this is a fair representation of the population at large, certainly not any of the people I personally know, but maybe the people who are so dead set against capitalism are young people who lacked opportunity...? Or avid union members...? I just don't know.

    Low-end jobs are always going to be there. They have to be. A WalMart Associate is not a career opportunity. It's a stepping stone. Or a fill-in job. To think that people believe that everyone has to earn a minimum of....what? $25,000 a year? Sounds absolutely ludicrous to me. It is never going to happen unless we inflate into it.

    Edit: And to think that a union at WalMart will eventually have cart pushers who've been with the company for 15 years making $40,000?? OMFG.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #409
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Sure Read these....

    Five major ObamaCare taxes that will hit your wallet in 2013 | Fox News

    Obamacare: Seven New Taxes on Citizens Earning Less than $250,000

    Obamacare Raises Taxes on 3 Million Middle-Class Americans

    On Environmentalism'

    EPA Regulations Ensnare Small Businesses in a Web of Red Tape | Energy & Commerce Committee

    Americans for Tax Reform : EPA Regulation of the Day: Greenhouse Gases

    http://assets.nationaljournal.com/pd...00%20FINAL.pdf

    Although I am sure that you probably won't even read these articles, and papers provided before you just out of hand dismiss them, it is a sad state of affairs that Obama was re elected on pure rhetoric by the very people he is bleeding dry.
    I read the links you posted. I don't trust them because they are mostly opinions from right wing rags, but the ones on Obamacare bring up some interesting points. However, what the articles fail to point out is that we are already paying for the uninsured with taxes. Our taxes won't go up, they will just be more clearly defined. Taxes on medical coverage are used to pay for the medical coverage of people who would most likely end up in the emergency room. Emergency room care is the most expensive form of medical care. By providing more affordable coverage and having that coverage address preventative care, we save the amount of money we spend in taxes each year to care for the uninsured. There is a real argument to be made here that the taxes we will pay to provide medical coverage for all Americans is wise. The way we have been doing it has been penny wise and pound foolish.
    As for the EPA articles you posted, they are all propaganda pieces as well. There are two sides to the argument. These links only provide one side of the argument. The other side is that without these regulations our air, land, and water become polluted. Once that happens, medical costs go up because pollution effects peoples health. The cost of cleaning up the pollution is passed on to the government which increases taxes. You see, the EPA was created for a reason, to protect the environment. Had the EPA and pollution regulations not been put into play, our Gulf Coast would still be an oily mess which effects the economy greatly. We can not allow corporations to opporate regulation free because they will not clean up their own messes or pay for the damage they cause unless they are forced to.

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RLN View Post
    Yeah if you can keep up with your bills while investing in that; it must be harder for people part time too.
    I'd ask why are their bills so high in the first place? Oh right, they have never been married and they have three kids. And then I'd ask where is that my problem?

    Don't get me wrong, I do care about people. But I care about society a lot more, and society cannot encourage this sort of dysfunctional nonsense. Is economic inequality a problem? Yes. But a FAR greater issue is the cultural inequality that seems to be persisting. Violent neighborhoods, drug abusers, pre-martial kids, deadbeats, parasites, high school dropouts; all of these are not a result of economic inequality, they directly cause it. And it appears that every time we start talking economic inequality, we simply ignore the cultural inequality and allow it to worsen. Its not just a matter of "values," its a matter of what is and isn't a feasible way for society to be constructed. Choices that have a negative impact on society as a whole MUST have a proportional negative impact on the individual. In return, it is society's responsibility to provide things like education, public infrastructure, law enforcement, and opportunity so individuals don't ONLY have bad choices to make. (Note, I did not say welfare, or transfer payments.)

    And before you say I hate the poor, I think businesses need to feel the exact same negative consequences. I've repeatedly favored slashing specific tax breaks and subsidies to companies and instead using that money for the things I listed above.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •