Page 38 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #371
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    a question-if the "right of association" is used to justify Unions trying to organize walmart workers, why isn't the right not to associate sufficient to allow Walmart to fire those who join unions?

    I believe in both rights. and if the union is able to get enough of the available labor in a given area to join then the union "wins" or the employer moves. and if the union cannot, it loses as it should be

  2. #372
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,213

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Thoughts anyone?
    Demand away. Maybe the Unions will get a piece of their paychecks and they will really have a reason to complain.

    Other than that, their paychecks will shrink as the economy shrinks and the Unions try to zero in on a new cash cow.

  3. #373
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the lefties never understand the concept of a global labor market and the ramifications of an American company being saddled with the idiocy of minimum wages that the competition does not face

    the real kicker of it all is that if the minimum wage were to disappear, I'd lay odds that wages would go up.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #374
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    true enough. I suppose just about anything can be called "greed"
    And yet when it is applied to the working people it is considerd a bad thing.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #375
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    And yet when it is applied to the working people it is considerd a bad thing.
    I have no problem with workers wanting more pay. what I have a problem with is the government protecting unions

  6. #376
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    the real kicker of it all is that if the minimum wage were to disappear, I'd lay odds that wages would go up.
    and by what market force would wages go up with no minimum wage?
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  7. #377
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a question-if the "right of association" is used to justify Unions trying to organize walmart workers, why isn't the right not to associate sufficient to allow Walmart to fire those who join unions?

    I believe in both rights. and if the union is able to get enough of the available labor in a given area to join then the union "wins" or the employer moves. and if the union cannot, it loses as it should be
    The employer already holds that advantage and does fire people. History shows intimidation and other weapons as well.

    It's not evil to want a voice in a large company.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #378
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,255

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    You cannot eat principles.

    Remember than next time you go hatin' on Walmart.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #379
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The employer already holds that advantage and does fire people. History shows intimidation and other weapons as well.

    It's not evil to want a voice in a large company.
    want is one thing. and I don't have a problem with the employer having an advantage. it took the risk and supplied the facility

  10. #380
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I have no problem with workers wanting more pay. what I have a problem with is the government protecting unions
    How about the government protecting laywers?

    Or Doctors or engineers?
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •