Page 27 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #261
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Perhaps the things you see and perceive at your local Walmart are limited to your area of Ala-f'n-bama.

    I don't see the kinds of attitudes you describe at my local Walmart and the bank in mine is a branch of a well-established Credit Union that is based at the local Army fort...which stands to reason since a lot of the customers at my Walmart are military.

    At my store, I'm always asked by the staff if I need any help with anything. It actually kind of bugs me sometimes, so I asked one guy about it. He told me they have a company policy they call the "eight foot rule", I think. Anyway, it means that if a customer comes that close to them they are to smile and ask if any help is needed. Could be your local store doesn't follow that rule.
    Lol, i'd forgotten that rule. Course I worked graveyard and most of the time I was in the freezer so didn't really deal with customers all that much. Except on Black Friday...god what a nightmare!
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #262
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Thos at the top in corporations forget the people that make business work. When unemployment is high, we see which companies care about their workers and which do not. I have stopped shopping at Wal Mart and i hope these strikes begin to hurt the Wal Mart brand. That's the only way the executives at the top will get the message.

  3. #263
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'stang
    From what I understand there are companies out there with 42% profit margin. (one of them being an aussie bank iirc)
    Two things caught my eye about that - it's not American, and it's a financial services industry. In that case, 42% isn't remotely unheard of. For retail, it would be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft
    Perhaps the things you see and perceive at your local Walmart are limited to your area of Ala-f'n-bama.

    I don't see the kinds of attitudes you describe at my local Walmart and the bank in mine is a branch of a well-established Credit Union that is based at the local Army fort...which stands to reason since a lot of the customers at my Walmart are military.

    At my store, I'm always asked by the staff if I need any help with anything. It actually kind of bugs me sometimes, so I asked one guy about it. He told me they have a company policy they call the "eight foot rule", I think. Anyway, it means that if a customer comes that close to them they are to smile and ask if any help is needed. Could be your local store doesn't follow that rule.
    Oh I'm sure it's not uniform. People are all different, so stores will be different, as will people's expectations and experiences within those stores. I've seen a number of employees who are cheerful to the point of obnoxious at that job. However, I've seen more that are on the opposite end of the spectrum. It depends on where you go, when you go, who you meet, etc.

    If someone loves to work at Walmart and shows it, more power to 'em. I just generally have lower expectations of people who work at unskilled, minimum wage jobs. I don't expect smiling faces because I wouldn't smile if I was in their shoes either.

  4. #264
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Lol, i'd forgotten that rule. Course I worked graveyard and most of the time I was in the freezer so didn't really deal with customers all that much. Except on Black Friday...god what a nightmare!
    Did you have that creepy chant thing?

    That eight foot rule was really more of a "fire anyone we don't like" rule.
    Last edited by Deuce; 11-25-12 at 05:16 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #265
    Professor
    Hairytic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Bull Hockey! Show me where Romney hid money from reporting to the government, and you would have a case, but just because you claim it doesn't mean it is true. The government not only knows about it, but encourages it.



    Oh you want to get into the macro picture? I am sure that the poor, and middle class pay the lion share of taxes overall, when you include everything. However, most of this is caused by misguided regulation, and taxation spurred by liberal policies....Yet, the masses that are being fleeced continue to vote in these vampires time and time again....How foolish is that?
    What liberal policies are you talking about here? I am curious to know what liberal policies and or regulations cause higher taxes on the middle class and poor. Please be specific.

  6. #266
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    As I have with other posters, I reject your contention that Walmart has any responsibility or mandate to improve the general state of our economy or to reduce the number of people who take government benefits. Their only responsibility it toward maximizing the profits of their stockholders.
    What is their responsibility as a group of human beings? I suppose that won't sway a person of your mindset. I'll go another direction for your benefit.

    The employees of Walmart have the right to lobby for better wages, better benefits, and better opportunities. If Walmart's board of directors have no interest in improving the current well being of their own staff, then it is reasonable for the staff to be proactive about fighting for what they deserve. And if Walmart was sooo concerned about maximizing profits, why does their CEO make more money in one hour than most of their employees make in one year?

    Why are companies like Whole Foods rapidly expanding while they give their employees tremendous benefits and strive to utilize local resources? Ben and Jerry's founders make something like 12 dollars an hour and find a significant amount of time to help their fellow citizens. The enthusiastic defenders of every aspect of capitalism and it's effects will always say "then why don't Walmart's employees quit and work at Whole Foods?" Most Walmart employees probably hate Whole Foods (viewing as white collar pompous free range crap capped with caviar) and most Whole Foods employees probably view Walmart as the place where GMOs are growing in every aisle and a trailer park resident is at every cash register.

    Walmart employees are born in a Walmart world. They stay where they're comfortable and work there with their family and friends. They weren't born in a free range, organic world, and that's no reason to deny them of health care and opportunities.
    A working class hero is something to be

  7. #267
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    What is their responsibility as a group of human beings? I suppose that won't sway a person of your mindset. I'll go another direction for your benefit.

    The employees of Walmart have the right to lobby for better wages, better benefits, and better opportunities. If Walmart's board of directors have no interest in improving the current well being of their own staff, then it is reasonable for the staff to be proactive about fighting for what they deserve. And if Walmart was sooo concerned about maximizing profits, why does their CEO make more money in one hour than most of their employees make in one year?

    Why are companies like Whole Foods rapidly expanding while they give their employees tremendous benefits and strive to utilize local resources? Ben and Jerry's founders make something like 12 dollars an hour and find a significant amount of time to help their fellow citizens. The enthusiastic defenders of every aspect of capitalism and it's effects will always say "then why don't Walmart's employees quit and work at Whole Foods?" Most Walmart employees probably hate Whole Foods (viewing as white collar pompous free range crap capped with caviar) and most Whole Foods employees probably view Walmart as the place where GMOs are growing in every aisle and a trailer park resident is at every cash register.

    Walmart employees are born in a Walmart world. They stay where they're comfortable and work there with their family and friends. They weren't born in a free range, organic world, and that's no reason to deny them of health care and opportunities.
    If you can't grow out of your comfort zone, don't cry about it.
    You're limiting yourself.

    If that's what is keeping them from earning more, I have little regard for them.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #268
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,857

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    What is their responsibility as a group of human beings? I suppose that won't sway a person of your mindset. I'll go another direction for your benefit.

    The employees of Walmart have the right to lobby for better wages, better benefits, and better opportunities. If Walmart's board of directors have no interest in improving the current well being of their own staff, then it is reasonable for the staff to be proactive about fighting for what they deserve. And if Walmart was sooo concerned about maximizing profits, why does their CEO make more money in one hour than most of their employees make in one year?

    You are correct that the employees of Walmart have the right to lobby for better everything. But Walmart also has the right to reject their demands.

    Why are companies like Whole Foods rapidly expanding while they give their employees tremendous benefits and strive to utilize local resources? Ben and Jerry's founders make something like 12 dollars an hour and find a significant amount of time to help their fellow citizens. The enthusiastic defenders of every aspect of capitalism and it's effects will always say "then why don't Walmart's employees quit and work at Whole Foods?" Most Walmart employees probably hate Whole Foods (viewing as white collar pompous free range crap capped with caviar) and most Whole Foods employees probably view Walmart as the place where GMOs are growing in every aisle and a trailer park resident is at every cash register.

    Walmart employees are born in a Walmart world. They stay where they're comfortable and work there with their family and friends. They weren't born in a free range, organic world, and that's no reason to deny them of health care and opportunities.
    I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that Walmart employees are a lower class of people? Anyway, I think your speculation of how Walmart employees feel about Whole Foods is just that...speculation - and a bit hyperbolic at that.

    In any event, what makes you think Walmart has any "responsibility as a group of human beings"? (whatever that is)
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  9. #269
    Weekend Political Pundit
    Bob N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,821

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Bull Hockey! Show me where Romney hid money from reporting to the government, and you would have a case, but just because you claim it doesn't mean it is true. The government not only knows about it, but encourages it.
    I can't show that to you since the gentleman refuses to do what every other person has done while running for president, including George W Romney, Mitt's dad--show seven years of tax records, something of which I believe brings the tradition to a halt with Mitt Romney.

    And encourage it? That's what Obama is trying to bring to a halt--if he gets cooperation from a GOP House of Representatives.



    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh you want to get into the macro picture? I am sure that the poor, and middle class pay the lion share of taxes overall, when you include everything. However, most of this is caused by misguided regulation, and taxation spurred by liberal policies....Yet, the masses that are being fleeced continue to vote in these vampires time and time again....How foolish is that?
    For the rich? How much money goes in to the pot is nothing compared with how much those folks get to keep.
    "The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." `Thomas Jefferson

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft
    I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that Walmart employees are a lower class of people? Anyway, I think your speculation of how Walmart employees feel about Whole Foods is just that...speculation - and a bit hyperbolic at that.
    I, for one, am not sure what you are getting at here. Walmart employees do, in fact, have a right to attempt to unionize and try for better treatment and pay...and Walmart does, in fact, have a right to fire them. Well, in many states they do.

    I'm not sure what part of the emboldened statement you took as "Walmart employees are POS's".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •