Page 25 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #241
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RLN View Post
    Sure there is nothing illegal about it because Uncle Sam doesn't know anything about it, but I have to report every dime I get paid to the IRS. And it's not raiding wealth; it's paying taxes on your money like everyone in the USA has to do.
    Bull Hockey! Show me where Romney hid money from reporting to the government, and you would have a case, but just because you claim it doesn't mean it is true. The government not only knows about it, but encourages it.

    I'm referring here to the big picture--who pays the most taxes. When one considers all factors the whole problem becomes elementary.
    Oh you want to get into the macro picture? I am sure that the poor, and middle class pay the lion share of taxes overall, when you include everything. However, most of this is caused by misguided regulation, and taxation spurred by liberal policies....Yet, the masses that are being fleeced continue to vote in these vampires time and time again....How foolish is that?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #242
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,016

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    they have the right to want higher wages as long as they make their bosses richer .
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  3. #243
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Oh, it's shady. I prefaced my comment by saying that it was legal (and it is), even though dodging tends to create the illusion of illegal behavior. Having said that, if people knew exactly how much Walmart was being floated along at all levels of the public, it'd make most of you sick. Walmart isn't a monopoly, but a monopolistic competition. However, given that the fact that they can choose to charge lower prices simply given the fact that they're receiving so much help, it could one day become a pseudo-monopoly. It's no coincidence that when a Walmart sprouts from the ground, approximately one-third of all local mom-and-pops have to close shop due to financial difficulties.

    If they truly wanted to put themselves on the open market, the government could allow for it. In fact, I hope for that day. I support their right to exist, but damned if I'll say that I can stand the sight of them.
    All companies that pay lower wages are "subsidized" in the exact same way WalMart is subsidized. What are you talking about? All the mom-and-pop stores . . . you name the entry-level type positions -- they're all subsidized. WalMart is no different than any of them. But WalMart?? THEY are a nice and juicy union target.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #244
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Walmart is NOT the problem. Its the employees that has NO knowledge of how a business works, how supply and demand works, how economics work. Youre NOT working at Walmart because youre intelligent or special or have some special "something" to add to the company. Youre working there because you can schlep out the very basics that the company needs in order to operate!!!

    If you work for Walmart and bitch about the pay or the "hard work" youre a freakin moron!!! You KNEW what the pay was before you started!!! If you dont like it, get trained on something in a school and provide the workforce a trade skill or some special training where it is WORTH paying you more!

    Every time a Walmart employee says they deserve more money or benefits or better benefits, its reinforces how freakin' ignorant they are regarding how the economics of business works and because of that, they DONT deserve anything more than what they have.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  5. #245
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And without those buisness owners the workers wouldn't have money either. It works both ways. But like ANY buisness be it small or large they only have to pay thier workers what they are willing to work for. If the workers don't like the pay rate then they can go elsewhere. No buisness has an obligation to pay thier employee's more than minimum wage.
    And no employee has an obligation to buy American products, any American products.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  6. #246
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Oh, it's shady. I prefaced my comment by saying that it was legal (and it is), even though dodging tends to create the illusion of illegal behavior. Having said that, if people knew exactly how much Walmart was being floated along at all levels of the public, it'd make most of you sick. Walmart isn't a monopoly, but a monopolistic competition. However, given that the fact that they can choose to charge lower prices simply given the fact that they're receiving so much help, it could one day become a pseudo-monopoly. It's no coincidence that when a Walmart sprouts from the ground, approximately one-third of all local mom-and-pops have to close shop due to financial difficulties.

    If they truly wanted to put themselves on the open market, the government could allow for it. In fact, I hope for that day. I support their right to exist, but damned if I'll say that I can stand the sight of them.

    Stand the sight of them? Hell, I like WalMart. Because of them, I am able to have things I couldn't afford otherwise. My standard of living is better with them than without. They employ my son as he works his way through collage, and likes his job. Because of that he can afford to have a pretty nice car, and spending money to take his girlfriend out, plus contribute through his purchases to the economy.

    They are building a more local store closer to my home here, and I can't wait until they complete it because you know why? Along with that there is a strip mall going in with it to provide space to localized businesses that can benefit off of Wal Marts traffic. Mom and Pop's aren't failing solely because the big bad Wal Mart came to town, no, they are failing because they refuse to update their business models and go to where the shoppers are.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    All companies that pay lower wages are "subsidized" in the exact same way WalMart is subsidized. What are you talking about? All the mom-and-pop stores . . . you name the entry-level type positions -- they're all subsidized. WalMart is no different than any of them. But WalMart?? THEY are a nice and juicy union target.
    Not to the level that Walmart is. Now, I'm aware that the SBA and other government organizations exist to help businesses get off the ground, but once you get to a certain point, you're cut off. Walmart is far beyond that point.

    They're also a big union target because they essentially ask for it. I've seen Walmart recruitment and employee training videos, and I've met many employees. I've never seen a company work so hard to prevent unions. Hell, I...well, we'll say "dated" for politically correct purposes...a girl who said that she was hanging out in the parking lot after hours with a couple other employees. They were smoking, chit-chatting, just carrying on like normal people do. Apparently a manager saw this on tape and called Bentonville to the HQ (as required by company policy) and reported it as "union creation activity". Apparently a few weeks later, some stuffed shirt flew in from Arkansas and droned on some anti-union rant. Seems like slight overkill for such a situation, but the vitriol Walmart has against unions is bordering paranoia. It makes me wonder why they're against it so much.

  8. #248
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It makes me wonder why they're against it so much.
    Because it would put them out of business. Their profit margin is 24% of gross sales. Average cost to a company when the union comes to town? 25-35% increase in costs.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #249
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,099

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    This is an interesting phrase "tax dodging".....as a truck driver, I am extended $53. per day per diem, write off on my gross income for every day I am driving. It is set by the IRS, and legal to take, and allows me to lessen my taxable income by about $13K per year. I also...........
    Seems strange that $53(80% tax free?)a day lessens your taxable income by 13k a year.

    But I am not a tax guru either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  10. #250
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Not to the level that Walmart is. Now, I'm aware that the SBA and other government organizations exist to help businesses get off the ground, but once you get to a certain point, you're cut off. Walmart is far beyond that point.

    They're also a big union target because they essentially ask for it. I've seen Walmart recruitment and employee training videos, and I've met many employees. I've never seen a company work so hard to prevent unions. Hell, I...well, we'll say "dated" for politically correct purposes...a girl who said that she was hanging out in the parking lot after hours with a couple other employees. They were smoking, chit-chatting, just carrying on like normal people do. Apparently a manager saw this on tape and called Bentonville to the HQ (as required by company policy) and reported it as "union creation activity". Apparently a few weeks later, some stuffed shirt flew in from Arkansas and droned on some anti-union rant. Seems like slight overkill for such a situation, but the vitriol Walmart has against unions is bordering paranoia. It makes me wonder why they're against it so much.

    There is a term for this, called 'salting'....In the recent Kabuki theater from the UFCW outside wal marts, it was reported that around 30 some employees joined the walk out. maybe these were the 'salter's' IOW, UFCW plants inside the ranks of wal mart employ that are there solely to stir division, and rancor, making it easier to get the union in....This manager did the right thing, and so the employees had to hear a speech....so what.....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •