Page 127 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #1261
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    So why exactly do wages increase again? In tight or loose labor markets wages have barely if at all increased and during the loose labor markets they have decreased. Welcome to free market capitalism? If you're at the top of the organizational chain you receive massive pay increases during the good times and the bad, if you're at the bottome you receive the same pay during the good times and pay cuts during the bad? Please remind me why unions are bad again because the free market viewpoint seems pretty rotten for 90% of the population.
    90% of the population?

    We're talking about the very bottom rung of the ladder and I just don't know what you expect. The income gap might be at an all time high but so is the skill gap. I get that you hate the "rich" but a surgeon has needed skills that takes years to acquire whereas Walmart replaces lost employees with the next high school drop out who fills out an application.

  2. #1262
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    They do...individuals are laid off and wages don't increase. I mean...sure they don't fluctuate with increases or decreases over the short term..and shouldn't...but long term productivity gains...they should get a portion. Otherwise you face the situation we do now...productivity gains have gone primarily to a small group of individuals. From every indication our labor market situation hasn't equalled outsized gains compared to other countries. It's not like that capital investment has led to long term growth beyond what would be expected. The pie has grown at the same rate it's just that the slices have been hugely distorted.

    I think it's a pretty big question that needs to be answered for proponents of a more free market system. When it was largely theoretical and things like "rising tide lifts all boats" or "trickle down" that was one thing. Now there's arguments that wages shouldn't rise with productivity at really very little to any benefit to most Americans.
    See, some gains do go to people, in the way of more jobs, increased profit sharing, less physical work per hour, greater product benefits, increased dividends, increased capital gains, etc, etc.

    You're really only focusing on one aspect, wages.

    Rising tides does lift all boats, otherwise the life expectancy and general quality of life around the world, would of stayed the same or gone down.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #1263
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Well you seam perfectly willing to make determinations about the workers.
    Because I am one.
    Over 5 years in manufacturing and distribution.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #1264
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,724

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    1. You can say it to a marine, and also a marine of any other country. Support and Funding CREATE bootcamp.

    2. Hitlers policies propped up the German Capitalist class, and they fully supported him, mainly because they were afraid of socialists and communists who were very powerful at the time and because hitler promised to get out of treaties that hindered buisiness, Hitler's government created huge demand giving tons of profit for capitalists, and they were able to monopolize and cartelize.

    3. I never said it was illigal did I ... I said there was legislation that prevented it, mainly through incentive structures. Also You agreed with me that co-determination is what created that buisiness enviroment.

    5. I never said co-determination board decides everything, nor have I backtracked, the workers have significant power through unions AND co-determination, co-determination came about right after ww2. But again this is not JUST Germany, its most of the countries that have social democratic institutions, btw when neo-liberal policies have success (generally followed by a crash) you say its the system, yet when social democratic policies have success its the culture????
    1. What makes our military successful has more to do with training, re-socialization and culture---the equipment is worthless without the training and the will to use it. Again you want to argue its people when it suits and money when it doesnt suit you.

    2. I am not going to start a debate about Nazi-ism and corporatism being linked. Thats a trap of an argument and its not accurate the way you are attempting to portray it, start a thread if you want. Again, quit trying to Godwin the thread, its exactly where you are trying to steer the argument.

    3. Yeah. You did. Co-determination was created by the US forces trying to bring as much peace and stability to Germany and avoid the labor union dynamic that was taking hold in the US.

    5. Yeah you said its because labor unions get to make more decisions. They dont make more decisions, they give input and make 10% to at max 40% of the decisions. Neo liberal policies are failing all over Europe, Germany is the exception---everywhere else, from France to Spain to Greece, they are failing. So you your argument is they are successful when they are followed by a crash? Thanks for defeating your own argument.

  5. #1265
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,724

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    1. I've ALWAYS been anti-Leninist, as have most socialists ...

    2. Yeah ... capitalist property rights after monarchies fell .... Monarchies didn't "allow it," although generally they actually did in the end. Also why are you talkinga bout Soviet Russia???
    1. Because Russia was always billed as socialism.

    2. That was a trap btw. Fuedalism, lords kept their property rights how? Thats right, through violence and the promise of it. Capitalism doesnt hold onto property rights through guns it does it through the courts and through law, a tad more civil than at gunpoint. Socialism tends to hold onto property through enforced redistribution, how is it any different from capitalism? Its generally government enforced, IE through force or the threat of it.

    You keep trying to say how your idea of socialism is so good but its just different people controlling how things are divvied up.

  6. #1266
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    90% of the population?

    We're talking about the very bottom rung of the ladder and I just don't know what you expect. The income gap might be at an all time high but so is the skill gap. I get that you hate the "rich" but a surgeon has needed skills that takes years to acquire whereas Walmart replaces lost employees with the next high school drop out who fills out an application.
    I've been saying this for years - anyone can jock a cash register, bag a burger, stock a shelf etc - not anyone can perform surgeries, financially manage a business, interpret law, engineer etc.. Those people went to school and invested a lot of time, money and energy into learning a trade that pays them the big bucks while the fool jocking the cash register didn't learn anything, hence anyone could do his or her job. There is nothing special about them, hence they're in no position to be making demands.

    As usual democrats have a difficult time understanding supply and demand.

  7. #1267
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I've been saying this for years - anyone can jock a cash register, bag a burger, stock a shelf etc - not anyone can perform surgeries, financially manage a business, interpret law, engineer etc.. Those people went to school and invested a lot of time, money and energy into learning a trade that pays them the big bucks while the fool jocking the cash register didn't learn anything, hence anyone could do his or her job. There is nothing special about them, hence they're in no position to be making demands.

    As usual democrats have a difficult time understanding supply and demand.
    Demorats understand that there are many more at the bottom (general labor pool) than in specialized, highly educated positions. Each worker, or even each welfare bum, gets but one vote - they play the polling/numbers game quite well. Yes they can!
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #1268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Demorats understand that there are many more at the bottom (general labor pool) than in specialized, highly educated positions. Each worker, or even each welfare bum, gets but one vote - they play the polling/numbers game quite well. Yes they can!
    Well, I would like them to realize that they're a dime a dozen, hence will be paid like they're a dime a dozen.

    I would suggest if they want to be in a position to bid their own salaries then I would suggest they learn a skill that's in demand.

  9. #1269
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, goody for you....What do you want? a prize? My question to you, as it is to all libs when it gets to this point is this, Who the heck do you think you are to tell others where they should work, how they should live, or where they should shop? The arrogance of liberals to think that only they have a lock on the way everyone should live is stunning. It works for you great. I'll make my own decisions in life thank you.
    I've posted in this thread dozens of times and my last post regarding my own spending habits was the first and only mention of how I do things and I only did so then in response to two posts regarding people saying one thing and doing another. If you like Wal-Mart and want it to continue to expand and if you think their employees deserve whatever they're getting now, why shouldn't you shop there? It's just that I personally believe in supporting local businesses and I believe in social responsibility and I spend my money according to those values, not to feel good about myself or to impress others. The only time in real life that I push my spending habits onto others is when I recommend restaurants to friends.

    I was speaking to those who say "there's nothing I can do about it." Those who say "I am a charitable person but I don't do charitable things." Paul Wellstone said, "never separate the life you live from the words you speak." I have no way of knowing the life you live. And even if you're justifying your own spending habits because you don't want to make the effort to change, there's no way I could know that either, so it's up to each man and each woman to make that call for themselves.
    A working class hero is something to be

  10. #1270
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Well, I would like them to realize that they're a dime a dozen, hence will be paid like they're a dime a dozen.

    I would suggest if they want to be in a position to bid their own salaries then I would suggest they learn a skill that's in demand.
    That is the alternative prefered by me as well. But the demorats have found an even easier way to achieve that "success" by using income redistributon, in the name of "fairness", take from the few rich and give to the many poor - effectively buying their votes with other people's money. Yes they can!
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •