Page 124 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #1231
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    1 and 2 ... No one is talking about Leninism ... Nor is anyone talking about state socialism (its actually state capitalism).

    Answer the questions.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #1232
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    1. They make more profit per item because their product price point is higher. They still do not produce the volume of US companies. Go look it up.

    2. The unions are a different animal. The disclosure laws in both the US and Germany are different as well as the arbitration laws. A different environment has created a different union. Codetermination was made law post WW2 to avoid the violent outbreaks that were occurring in the US in establishing unions.

    3. Nonsense. Shorter supply chains have a lot to do with quality control. Redundancy prevents work stoppages, but if you dont have to worry about that why bother? Its not institutional, its business based.

    4. Marketing frequently is the basis for everything that follows. Listening to customer feedback and actively seeking it are part of the marketing process, if you want to make a better product, you engage in that part of the process so you can know what customers want done differently. US markets did not do this for a long time, they were engaged in a push market rather than pull market.

    5. Its not the institutions. Companies dont do things for altruistic reasons. The quality control in German companies is tighter and the German product model is based in quality. EVERY product. Not just cars.

    LOL that statement is idiotic. Easiest refute: The Yugo. I rest my case.

    Explaining business concepts to you is like explaining fur to a fish. You have some pie in the sky socio liberal response to it that doesnt bear any resemblence to reality and its getting tiresome whack a moling your misguided concepts.
    1. Yeah ... But talks like saying the reason the US military is so good, is because of technology, not governemnt spending. Its good management, also the product price point is different in different markets.

    2. I'm saying the Unions are a different animal BECAUSE of the union power and the institutional framework, and it seams like you agree, also the Codetermination laws were also put in to limit the power of capitalists.

    3. It is institutional, Germany has a policies preventing companies from exploiting foreign labor and preventing outsourcing, also the shorter supply chains come form the social-market model .

    4. Ok

    5. It IS institutions, no **** they don't do thinkgs for altruistic reasons, they do it because its the best way to run things WITHIN THE INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK ... Its not just that Americans are dumber than Germanys, there are actual differences in economic policy that create those things.

    What you're arguing is like arguing that people simply enjoy smoking less today than they did before, totally ignoring the changes in policies and information that caused those things. Most of what you're saying is true, but its doesn't happen in a bubble for no reason, buisiness practices are shaped by incentive systems which are created by the institutional framework the economy runs in.

    But are you claiming that Co-Determination doesn't contribute largely to the strength of German industry?

  3. #1233
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Answer the questions.
    1. There has never BEEN a socialist country, but countries that have implimented socailistic reforms have done better than countries that havn't, including in the first world, like Northern Europe vrs the US.

    2. That's a strawman, I'm not arguing for Leninism ... Capitalism is enforced by a gun, thats how Capitalist property laws are made, and if you look at the history of Capitalism, it was accomplished through the barrel of a gun.

  4. #1234
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,758

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    1. Yeah ... But talks like saying the reason the US military is so good, is because of technology, not governemnt spending. Its good management, also the product price point is different in different markets.

    2. I'm saying the Unions are a different animal BECAUSE of the union power and the institutional framework, and it seams like you agree, also the Codetermination laws were also put in to limit the power of capitalists.

    3. It is institutional, Germany has a policies preventing companies from exploiting foreign labor and preventing outsourcing, also the shorter supply chains come form the social-market model .

    4. Ok

    5. It IS institutions, no **** they don't do thinkgs for altruistic reasons, they do it because its the best way to run things WITHIN THE INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK ... Its not just that Americans are dumber than Germanys, there are actual differences in economic policy that create those things.

    What you're arguing is like arguing that people simply enjoy smoking less today than they did before, totally ignoring the changes in policies and information that caused those things. Most of what you're saying is true, but its doesn't happen in a bubble for no reason, buisiness practices are shaped by incentive systems which are created by the institutional framework the economy runs in.

    But are you claiming that Co-Determination doesn't contribute largely to the strength of German industry?
    1. The US military is good because of a number of reasons: culture, training strength, adaptability, and the people in it. Money provides the base, what is done with it afterwards make it great.

    2. No. The laws were put into place to keep unions and management from having violent outbreaks against each other and mitigate the possibilities of wildcat strikes, scab workers and a number of other things. Saying it was just about capitalism is your liberal talking points again.

    3. No, they dont. The companies themselves prevent that to keep economic advantage from outsourcing the things they do best. They want to maintain the advantage of knowing advanced manufacturing process. This is a result of the co-determination board, workers see long term stability from learning new processes and keeping them inside Germany and are miles ahead of accomodating to new procedures and manufacturing processes. Outsourcing is not illegal in Germany. If you want to refute this, cite a source that concretely spells it out.

    5. If you are seriously going to put forward that shorter supply chains are based in German institutions, we dont have much to talk about. Its a business decision its not institutional, quality control is of greater importance in Germany as is stability. Both lend themselves to smaller supply chains and quality circles.

    Im arguing that the co-determination board is there to blunt the adversarial nature of the union versus management dynamic and it was done to make the country stable and peaceful after seeing the problems cause by those issues in the US in the 20s and 30s. I live in mine war country, it was bloody. Co-determination boards are not JUST there to act as a brake on management, its also there to soften hardline stances from union leadership.
    Last edited by OpportunityCost; 12-03-12 at 09:30 AM.

  5. #1235
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Thats rediculous ... thats like arguing that the reason black people are better off now is because black people have better morals now.
    Both the hypothetical cause and effect in this statement are news to me.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  6. #1236
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,758

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    1. There has never BEEN a socialist country, but countries that have implimented socailistic reforms have done better than countries that havn't, including in the first world, like Northern Europe vrs the US.

    2. That's a strawman, I'm not arguing for Leninism ... Capitalism is enforced by a gun, thats how Capitalist property laws are made, and if you look at the history of Capitalism, it was accomplished through the barrel of a gun.
    1. Soviet Russia says hello.

    2. Thats because thats the only way monarchies would ALLOW it.

  7. #1237
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    1. The US military is good because of a number of reasons: culture, training strength, adaptability, and the people in it. Money provides the base, what is done with it afterwards make it great.

    2. No. The laws were put into place to keep unions and management from having violent outbreaks against each other and mitigate the possibilities of wildcat strikes, scab workers and a number of other things. Saying it was just about capitalism is your liberal talking points again.

    3. No, they dont. The companies themselves prevent that to keep economic advantage from outsourcing the things they do best. They want to maintain the advantage of knowing advanced manufacturing process. This is a result of the co-determination board, workers see long term stability from learning new processes and keeping them inside Germany and are miles ahead of accomodating to new procedures and manufacturing processes. Outsourcing is not illegal in Germany. If you want to refute this, cite a source that concretely spells it out.

    5. If you are seriously going to put forward that shorter supply chains are based in German institutions, we dont have much to talk about. Its a business decision its not institutional, quality control is of greater importance in Germany as is stability. Both lend themselves to smaller supply chains and quality circles.
    1. There we go, you have an idealist way of looking at the world, I look at it from a materialist standpoint, honestly what makes the US military good, is primarily the amount of funding and the government support.

    2. It was also about taking control away from the capitalists, who were a big part of the rise of hitler, also it avoided violent outbreaks BY GIVING UNIONS MORE POWER, which I am in favor of.

    3. Exactly, also outsourcing is not illigal, but Germany has many incentive structures that disencourage it. But I'm happy you accept that co-determination is a big part of what makes teh german buisiness culture what it is.

    5. Buisiness decisions are not made in a vaccume ... thats my point. What you are arguing is like arguing that the US military is good not because of money but because of technology ... The 2 are not seperate.

  8. #1238
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Both the hypothetical cause and effect in this statement are news to me.
    As they are to me. Which is why arguing that social democratic countries are better because of "culture" not economic systems is just as rediculous.

  9. #1239
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    1. Soviet Russia says hello.

    2. Thats because thats the only way monarchies would ALLOW it.
    1. Soviet Russia wasn'n an economic democracy ....

    2. Who was talking about monarchies??? Also since when do they need to ALLOW it?

  10. #1240
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,758

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    1. There we go, you have an idealist way of looking at the world, I look at it from a materialist standpoint, honestly what makes the US military good, is primarily the amount of funding and the government support.

    2. It was also about taking control away from the capitalists, who were a big part of the rise of hitler, also it avoided violent outbreaks BY GIVING UNIONS MORE POWER, which I am in favor of.

    3. Exactly, also outsourcing is not illigal, but Germany has many incentive structures that disencourage it. But I'm happy you accept that co-determination is a big part of what makes teh german buisiness culture what it is.

    5. Buisiness decisions are not made in a vaccume ... thats my point. What you are arguing is like arguing that the US military is good not because of money but because of technology ... The 2 are not seperate.
    1. Say that to a marine. Youre wrong. Its training, culture, and re-socialization hard at work. Support and funding occur AFTER bootcamp.

    2. That is socialist propaganda bull****. Dont godwin the thread with moronic statements you cant begin to support.

    3. Backpedal much? Dont try to say something is illegal then worm your way out of it by agreeing with me after you get burnt.

    5. You are ignoring that the US placed the stability model into the German legal structure because we had a lot of input into legal framework after WW2. What happened, and its a good thing, is German cultural influences on quality and stability and hard work, were adapted into the co-determination efforts to make a stronger whole. Their culture and their institutions helped shape each other. You argue that the co-determination board decides everything is too simple in nature. The co-determination process squeezes concessions from both sides and changes the labor/management dynamic. Management still controls the reins but with input from labor. Your misconcepts about how much power the co-determination process gives to labor are littered throughout this thread. You have backtracked repeatedly because you dont know jack about business process and fall back on your social institution crapola that you cant begin to prove.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •