Page 121 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1532

Thread: Walmart workers demand better wages

  1. #1201
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Unionize the pigs and you can watch the needle move for an improved lower middle class and economic recovery take some from the top pigs and spread it around and the country will be all the better...
    no. history demonstrates that if we unionize wal mart workers, the chief result will be fewer wal mart workers and more unemployed, followed by a decrease in the standard of living for our low and middle income quintiles.

    or the top pigs can leave and we will right promptly created a new set of the top rich people...they need us more than we need them...they dont make a dime without us a FACT that always seems to elude you marine...the top cant fight a war without troops and the rich cant get rich without people actually making them their money
    And the bottom can't do it without someone to hire them. It's called "Mutually Beneficial Trade".

  2. #1202
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,782

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    With the amount of subsidies they receive from taxpayers, they should.
    Well now, should Unions being doing the same things instead of paying Union bosses outrageous salaries? After all, they get tax breaks and a lot of government largesse and they are tax free. But then they arent synonmous with the ground game of the Democrat party now are they?

    The amount of subsidies an organization recieves has no bearing on the amount of charity work they do. The logical dissonance here is huge. Under your assumption, green companies should be doing so much charity work they almost cant do anything else. They recieved 4 times the amount of subsidies and tax breaks than big oil and 10 times what the entire retail sector recieved.

  3. #1203
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Works for Sears-Kmart does she?
    No. Are they union?

  4. #1204
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Well now, should Unions being doing the same things instead of paying Union bosses outrageous salaries? After all, they get tax breaks and a lot of government largesse and they are tax free. But then they arent synonmous with the ground game of the Democrat party now are they?

    The amount of subsidies an organization recieves has no bearing on the amount of charity work they do. The logical dissonance here is huge. Under your assumption, green companies should be doing so much charity work they almost cant do anything else. They recieved 4 times the amount of subsidies and tax breaks than big oil and 10 times what the entire retail sector recieved.

    Not to mention outright waivers for Obamacare....Talk about the double standard going on here....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #1205
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no. history demonstrates that if we unionize wal mart workers, the chief result will be fewer wal mart workers and more unemployed, followed by a decrease in the standard of living for our low and middle income quintiles.



    And the bottom can't do it without someone to hire them. It's called "Mutually Beneficial Trade".

    totally untrue when we had the last unionization of the country everyone thrived including the economy and the country....and again not true...there will always be someone to fill the pig void...there are alot of wannabe pigs just ask turtledude..

  6. #1206
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Or Walmart would be the biggest retailer in the world. Oh.. Wait.

    That's right. You can buy all those products you mentioned at Walmart for cheaper then you can pretty much any where else. Customers obviously care about that.

    My wife works for a union shop. They can not get their prices even close to Walmarts.. It's difficult when you have to pay your unskilled cashiers $30/hour ($45.00 on sunday) with 401k and full benefits. So, they are cutting way back on hours at her store (the entire chain actually) and they are in danger of going under. Primarily because customers can get the same products cheaper at Target, Walmart or any of the other non-union grocery stores that have recently opened.

    So, your claim that customers don't care, is nonsense.
    I don't think you're reading my posts very carefully. My response to you started with "if all people cared about..." And what I said was true, right? Nobody would ever shop at Whole Foods or the Apple Store ever, for any reason, unless there were people out there whose spending habits were based on other criteria than finding the cheapest product. Wal-Mart's success proves that what they are doing is popular and attractive to consumers, but nobody is denying that.

    Now as to your wife who makes $30/hour as an "unskilled cashier." Let's take a look at the highest paid cashiers in America. The average cashier in the United States makes $18,000 a year, with the vast majority of them making approximately that amount. The highest paid cashiers in the country are in a few select towns in California, where the median cashier salary is $25,000 a year. That would be about $1,000 per 2 week check, which at $30/hour (and $45 for sunday pay) would mean a little over 15 hours a week. To be blunt, there are virtually no union retail jobs, union cashier jobs, or cashiers making $30/hour anywhere in this country. Either you are living with an anomaly or a fabrication, I'm sorry to tell you.

    But if, as you say, the store is going under because people can find the same products for less at Wal-Mart, here is my response: what makes the cheaper product so attractive to consumers is that they can't afford anything else. They are in debt from credit cards, student loans, and often medical bills (which I have a ton of). If people had higher pay with better benefits, it would be much easier for them to use their money to support businesses that treat their employees well and give back to the community.
    A working class hero is something to be

  7. #1207
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I don't think you're reading my posts very carefully. My response to you started with "if all people cared about..." And what I said was true, right? Nobody would ever shop at Whole Foods or the Apple Store ever, for any reason, unless there were people out there whose spending habits were based on other criteria than finding the cheapest product. Wal-Mart's success proves that what they are doing is popular and attractive to consumers, but nobody is denying that.

    Now as to your wife who makes $30/hour as an "unskilled cashier." Let's take a look at the highest paid cashiers in America. The average cashier in the United States makes $18,000 a year, with the vast majority of them making approximately that amount. The highest paid cashiers in the country are in a few select towns in California, where the median cashier salary is $25,000 a year. That would be about $1,000 per 2 week check, which at $30/hour (and $45 for sunday pay) would mean a little over 15 hours a week. To be blunt, there are virtually no union retail jobs, union cashier jobs, or cashiers making $30/hour anywhere in this country. Either you are living with an anomaly or a fabrication, I'm sorry to tell you.

    But if, as you say, the store is going under because people can find the same products for less at Wal-Mart, here is my response: what makes the cheaper product so attractive to consumers is that they can't afford anything else. They are in debt from credit cards, student loans, and often medical bills (which I have a ton of). If people had higher pay with better benefits, it would be much easier for them to use their money to support businesses that treat their employees well and give back to the community.
    Yes but if people had higher pay with better benefits than prices would have to go up to offset the increased costs.

    We go through this every time there is an increase in minimum wage.

    The real elephant in the room is liberals are unwilling to support their own beliefs. That's the central problem with every single "liberal" issue. "Main Street" isn't going out of business because greedy corporations are opening big box stores and paying their employees dick. "Main Street" is going out of business because liberals would rather save a few bucks at those big box stores.

  8. #1208
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Either you are living with an anomaly or a fabrication, I'm sorry to tell you.
    You can be sorry all you want, the point is they are paying $30.00 / hour for those with the highest seniority. My wife is not quite there, she's at about $20.00/hour ($30.00 on sundays). Not bad for sitting there and sliding items past a scanner.

    But if, as you say, the store is going under because people can find the same products for less at Wal-Mart, here is my response: what makes the cheaper product so attractive to consumers is that they can't afford anything else. They are in debt from credit cards, student loans, and often medical bills (which I have a ton of). If people had higher pay with better benefits, it would be much easier for them to use their money to support businesses that treat their employees well and give back to the community.
    I don't care how much I made, and I suspect most individuals are like this - I know my grandmother is and she has no worrries for money - if I had more money then I currently do and I could find the exact same product for cheaper at Walmart, I would still buy it at Walmart. With few exceptions most would. Even the wealthy enjoy a good deal.

  9. #1209
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    Yes but if people had higher pay with better benefits than prices would have to go up to offset the increased costs.

    We go through this every time there is an increase in minimum wage.

    The real elephant in the room is liberals are unwilling to support their own beliefs. That's the central problem with every single "liberal" issue. "Main Street" isn't going out of business because greedy corporations are opening big box stores and paying their employees dick. "Main Street" is going out of business because liberals would rather save a few bucks at those big box stores.
    My only issue with what you said is that it's everybody doing it, not just liberals. Conservatives don't do it either. What's more representative of the conservative vision for America than an individual born with humble means starting their own business and thriving due to local support? Liberals oppose corporations treating their employees poorly yet they spend their money wherever is most convenient. The conservative vision of America is heavily drawn from small business owners yet conservatives aren't supporting small businesses.

    Still, there are a lot of people who do walk the walk and talk the talk and shop at the place that walks how they talk. And if more people did it, the increased costs due to higher wages and better benefits could be offset by more business drawn from support for these practices.

    But you're right, people still aren't doing it. But I think demographics are shifting and we'll continue to see more consumers who are informed and really do care. Wal-Mart is much better than they used to be and frankly I think it's only because they thought higher wages would attract the aforementioned people.
    A working class hero is something to be

  10. #1210
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Walmart workers demand better wages

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    totally untrue when we had the last unionization of the country everyone thrived including the economy and the country....and again not true...there will always be someone to fill the pig void...there are alot of wannabe pigs just ask turtledude..
    And what happened to that unionization of the country. Let me tell you, the union thugs got greedy, not only greedy for wages and benefits, but thieves at ever ship yard, and steeling cargo from trucks delivering goods across this country. And you wonder why union membership has been diminishing for decades. These union thugs are still at work in our schools where you can't fire a teacher, but they got that agreement by selling their vote to liberals. The private sector is ridding themselves of these thugs that all they want is to steal all the money they can from their membership. Even the employees at Walmart will not buy into their BS.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •