Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 274

Thread: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

  1. #181
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Yeah, and people have been reaping the consequences of their stupid actions since the dawn of man as well. If something you do threatens your employers image, they're well within their rights to cut your ass loose.
    My point is that stupidity hasn't become any worse an offense since the dawn of man, so the consequences shouldn't be any more swift or frequent simply because technology gives us more opportunities to witness it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    People don't have a right to employment.
    People have a right to survive, and in the economic model currently employed in the United States, for 9 out of 10 of us that means having a job. Since all of us are harmless idiots at one point or another, it seems to me that you should be allowed to be a harmless idiot every once in a while without suddenly having to worry about how you're going to pay your rent or put food on the table.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #182
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think many people ignore the fact that she was on the company's dime when she was at Arlington cemetery. If the thread title was "Employee fired for acting like a dumbass while on the job" or "Employee fired for embarrassing the company while on a company trip" then the only thing people would be complaining about is the fact this story made the news.
    Semi-related generic response...

    I work in civil engineering. If I participate in a protest about feeding the homeless, I *should* be afforded the courtesy to be left alone about it by my employer. As long as it is on my own time, of course. While I would still defend the right of my employer to discipline me over it, I feel that the fact that it is socially acceptable is an example of how hypocritical our society really is when we prattle on about freedom of speech, etc.

    On the flip side, if I were to protest the building of a freeway, even if a company other than mine has the design contract, then that is more directly correlated to my job and my employer. In that instance, I feel the employer would be justified in taking action, no hypocrisy involved.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #183
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Behaving like a childish idiot isn't a crime, and any employer who fires her is looking at a pretty nasty first-amendment based wrongful termination suit.
    what? When did private employers become responsible for facilitating free speech?

  4. #184
    User Dem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Last Seen
    04-24-15 @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    131

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    I live in the US so I can do things like this and not fear retribution.

  5. #185
    User MVSN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern kalifornia
    Last Seen
    12-04-12 @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    Of course she shouldn't be fired. The old traditions of our history are dying. The inability to recognize something to respect is being lost.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,476

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dem View Post
    I live in the US so I can do things like this and not fear retribution.
    What she did is a violation of the code of conduct for visitors to the Arlington Cementary. She could have been asked to leave immediately and if refused could have been arrested.

    This isn't about her freedom of speech but rather her violation of the Arlington Cementary conduct rules. Simple as that.

    You will never see the Westboro Baptist Church inside the Arlington Cementary. They can protest outside the main entrance but even they know they could be arrested if they pulled their circus act inside the compound.

  7. #187
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    I think a lot of people are missing the reason she was disciplined (I haven't figured out yet if she was actually fired or resigned, I thought she resigned). She wasn't disciplined for protesting or doing something specifically that disrespected veterans. She was disciplined for showing poor judgement, whether it was disrespecting the veterans (which I don't believe she was really trying to do) or disrespecting authority (which she admits was what she was doing) and then posting evidence of that action on a public media outlet (which every single person out there that gives job advice will tell you never ever do). If we go by what she said was her reason for the photo, then the fact that she has another photo of her doing this just adds more against her. She is blatantly showing that she wants to disrespect authority even if there are good reasons for those signs, which she admits represents to her authority, to be in place. You add to that she was doing it in a place that is seen by many as sacred to veterans, one of the few groups in this country that a vast majority of people show respect for no matter their political or even religious/spiritual beliefs and it was done on company time, and then it gets posted online, likely within close computer space to the employer of the person who posted it, you get an employer that feels that this employee does things that could reflect negatively on their business.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #188
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I think a lot of people are missing the reason she was disciplined (I haven't figured out yet if she was actually fired or resigned, I thought she resigned). She wasn't disciplined for protesting or doing something specifically that disrespected veterans. She was disciplined for showing poor judgement, whether it was disrespecting the veterans (which I don't believe she was really trying to do) or disrespecting authority (which she admits was what she was doing) and then posting evidence of that action on a public media outlet (which every single person out there that gives job advice will tell you never ever do). If we go by what she said was her reason for the photo, then the fact that she has another photo of her doing this just adds more against her. She is blatantly showing that she wants to disrespect authority even if there are good reasons for those signs, which she admits represents to her authority, to be in place. You add to that she was doing it in a place that is seen by many as sacred to veterans, one of the few groups in this country that a vast majority of people show respect for no matter their political or even religious/spiritual beliefs and it was done on company time, and then it gets posted online, likely within close computer space to the employer of the person who posted it, you get an employer that feels that this employee does things that could reflect negatively on their business.
    IIRC, the company was investigating, but she eventually resigned of her own choice. Supposedly.

    I don't believe she intended to be disrespectful, but she was. Key word: "intend". I have done things that I didn't intend to offend others, but it was and I didn't realize it until later.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #189
    User Dem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Last Seen
    04-24-15 @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    131

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    What she did is a violation of the code of conduct for visitors to the Arlington Cementary. She could have been asked to leave immediately and if refused could have been arrested.

    This isn't about her freedom of speech but rather her violation of the Arlington Cementary conduct rules. Simple as that.

    You will never see the Westboro Baptist Church inside the Arlington Cementary. They can protest outside the main entrance but even they know they could be arrested if they pulled their circus act inside the compound.
    Has anyone spoke on this issue? I am curious if the picture also constitutes a violation vs how the rules are worded.

  10. #190
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Arlington Cemetery pic sparks outrage, calls for woman's firing

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    My point is that stupidity hasn't become any worse an offense since the dawn of man, so the consequences shouldn't be any more swift or frequent simply because technology gives us more opportunities to witness it.
    Technology doesn't change cause and effect.



    People have a right to survive, and in the economic model currently employed in the United States, for 9 out of 10 of us that means having a job. Since all of us are harmless idiots at one point or another, it seems to me that you should be allowed to be a harmless idiot every once in a while without suddenly having to worry about how you're going to pay your rent or put food on the table.
    And nobody is taking that away from her, except herself. She was with her company on a company trip, and not only made an ass of herself, but her employer as well. I don't know any employer who wouldn't fire someone who is that recklessly stupid and irresponsible.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •