Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 137

Thread: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

  1. #101
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    I read that bill and saw nothing wrong with it. The majority of it involved a warrant or permission from either the person or the provider.

    If the law enforcement agency is getting something on you that they shouldn't, then any judge can throw out that evidence under the 4th Amendment, not just the SCOTUS. Fruit of the poisonous tree comes into effect here as well. If your email, that they shouldn't have been accessing to begin with, gives them info that leads them to some other evidence then they can't use that evidence either.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I read that bill and saw nothing wrong with it. The majority of it involved a warrant or permission from either the person or the provider.

    If the law enforcement agency is getting something on you that they shouldn't, then any judge can throw out that evidence under the 4th Amendment, not just the SCOTUS. Fruit of the poisonous tree comes into effect here as well. If your email, that they shouldn't have been accessing to begin with, gives them info that leads them to some other evidence then they can't use that evidence either.
    That is not the way the Patriot Act works.... The premise of the Patriot Act is to circumvent the Bill of Rights or in other words to defunct civil liberties for those who are "suspected" terrorists.

  3. #103
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That is not the way the Patriot Act works.... The premise of the Patriot Act is to circumvent the Bill of Rights or in other words to defunct civil liberties for those who are "suspected" terrorists.

    Exactly. The Bill of Rights was never meant to be applied to everyone in America anyway.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    Exactly. The Bill of Rights was never meant to be applied to everyone in America anyway.
    The Bill of Rights applies to every natural born citizen.

    But what I see today are a bunch of progressive goons in some situations attempting to limit free speech - they are already attempting to label the freedom movement as terrorists.

    Look up "Tea Party terrorists" on google..

    All they have to do now is convince the masses that anyone who isn't progressive and who dissents from the governments ideals is a terrorist, and they will use the media to do just that.

    This is the US, I have the right to speak my mind and I shouldn't have to worry about my dissent against the currant administration. However those who disapprove of my dissent are so emotional about my position that they will label me a "terrorist."

  5. #105
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The Bill of Rights applies to every natural born citizen.

    But what I see today are a bunch of progressive goons in some situations attempting to limit free speech - they are already attempting to label the freedom movement as terrorists.

    Look up "Tea Party terrorists" on google..

    All they have to do now is convince the masses that anyone who isn't progressive and who dissents from the governments ideals is a terrorist, and they will use the media to do just that.

    This is the US, I have the right to speak my mind and I shouldn't have to worry about my dissent against the currant administration. However those who disapprove of my dissent are so emotional about my position that they will label me a "terrorist."

    That's why we have to keep secession as a possible option.

  6. #106
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I'm confused...

    I'm under the impression that Republicans are the ones people consider as wanting to abridge people's rights and that Democrats stand up for the privacy and rights of the people. Am I wrong about this? Leahy is a Democrat.
    No, trampling on individual rights in the name of the so-called "War on Terrorism" is pretty much a bi-partisan activity....

  7. #107
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yes, that is the point of the Patriot Act.

    What do you think warrantless wiretapping means? Also, you do realize the government can circumvent due process and hold you indefinitely if they suspect you're a "terrorist?"

    In short - if the government suspects you're a terrorist they can throw your ass in a basement cell and throw away the key. The only problem is that "terrorist" is a loose term - hell, some progressives have attempted to label the Tea Party as "terrorists." The Patriot Act is extremely dangerous and subject to the slippery slope.

    The Patriot Act allows the federal government to completely circumvent civil liberties (Bill of Rights/Constitutional rights) and lock you up if they believe you're a terrorist - foreign or domestic. The act also allows the government to spy on you and invade your privacy without a warrant... Presently the FBI doesn't need a search warrant to break down your door and search your home via the Patriot Act - all they have to conclude is that you MAY be a suspected terrorist and that is enough to justify their search.
    Rewind 20-30 years and it sounds frighteningly similar to the civil asset forfeiture laws we have... and have come to accept (as a society overall)... today.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #108
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yes, that is the point of the Patriot Act.

    What do you think warrantless wiretapping means? Also, you do realize the government can circumvent due process and hold you indefinitely if they suspect you're a "terrorist?"

    In short - if the government suspects you're a terrorist they can throw your ass in a basement cell and throw away the key. The only problem is that "terrorist" is a loose term - hell, some progressives have attempted to label the Tea Party as "terrorists." The Patriot Act is extremely dangerous and subject to the slippery slope.

    The Patriot Act allows the federal government to completely circumvent civil liberties (Bill of Rights/Constitutional rights) and lock you up if they believe you're a terrorist - foreign or domestic. The act also allows the government to spy on you and invade your privacy without a warrant... Presently the FBI doesn't need a search warrant to break down your door and search your home via the Patriot Act - all they have to conclude is that you MAY be a suspected terrorist and that is enough to justify their search.
    Except wiretapping authority is listed in the Patriot Act. Chip implants are not.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Except wiretapping authority is listed in the Patriot Act. Chip implants are not.
    You mean warrantless wiretapping....

    I didn't say anything about microchips - don't give them any ideas. Besides, they don't need to microchip you - they will just track your phone or car without a warrant.

  10. #110
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    You mean warrantless wiretapping....

    I didn't say anything about microchips - don't give them any ideas. Besides, they don't need to microchip you - they will just track your phone or car without a warrant.
    Yes you did. You said it could theoretically allow them to "microchip individuals."
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •