Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 78 of 78

Thread: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

  1. #71
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Apparently, the first time he tried to fly with it he contacted a TSA supervisor who said it was fine. And he flew with several times since then.
    I think the TSA truely failed by letting him through with it on. He should have been notified to stowe it. I think it being out in public would be disturbing the peace charge. It just doesn't seem like a rational thought to bring that device to the airport and onto the plane in plain site. It is harmless, but I think it could cause mental distress to others.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  2. #72
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The fact they only charged him with possessing materials to make an explosive device is pretty clear that they don't have anything on him.Practically anything could be used to make an explosive or explosive device.
    I being a rocket surgeon can quite litteraly make a bomb out of Bisquick pancake mix. Making something explode is easy. Making something explode in specific fashion not so much. I make rocket fuel out of granulated surger. If you can burn it likelyhood is you can explode it. Hell this basic physical science 101. The charges they have on this man are fricken riduculus. Is this man out yet or is he still in jail?
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #73
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    I being a rocket surgeon can quite litteraly make a bomb out of Bisquick pancake mix. Making something explode is easy. Making something explode in specific fashion not so much. I make rocket fuel out of granulated surger. If you can burn it likelyhood is you can explode it. Hell this basic physical science 101. The charges they have on this man are fricken riduculus. Is this man out yet or is he still in jail?


    Ad executive Geoffrey McGann arrested at airport for unusual watch - UPI.com
    Charges dropped against man with IED watch
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #74
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

    Oh dear, I forgot to add the //sarcasm// notations. I didn't expect to be taken lierally when I suggested shooting the guy for watch possession. In a brighter world, the Steampunk comment would have been self-explanatory.

    This will teach me not to make assumptions about innate comprehension skills.

    51N83EYQEGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg



    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    A toggle switch... Some electric fuses... And a watch... Ohhhh sooo scary.

    Did your Light-Bright terrify you as a kid?

  5. #75
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I think the TSA truely failed by letting him through with it on. He should have been notified to stowe it. I think it being out in public would be disturbing the peace charge. It just doesn't seem like a rational thought to bring that device to the airport and onto the plane in plain site. It is harmless, but I think it could cause mental distress to others.
    I cause people mental distress by being as pleasent looking as the ass end of a leporous baboon with a serious case of diarhea. Mental distress,. If they distresses over a funny looking watch they may well have a hotline to their pychatrist. I dont know who the hell cares about their mental distress, but I can assure you I for one dont. **** their mental well being. If they cant get along in life without some mental anguish along the way, they may as well put themselves out of their misery.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    He could of...

    He may have...

    He didn't. He was carrying a fuse. Please don't get me wrong, the watch looked menacing. However, it didn't have one single component that doesn't go through everyday.

    Everything that goes through that checkpoint could be an explosive. Who knows, they could start putting rectal bombs in babies. They already used it Saudi Arabia (just not on a baby) and we know they have blown up women. Why not little children?

    The illusion of safety is just that. This guy needed to be picked up. This same guy would have been picked up in 1995, 2000, or 50 years from now.
    The illusion is more playing the probabilities. I suppose we could just sedate everybody. bet the flight attendants' union wouldn't object.

  7. #77
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    He could of...

    He may have...

    He didn't. He was carrying a fuse. Please don't get me wrong, the watch looked menacing. However, it didn't have one single component that doesn't go through everyday.

    Everything that goes through that checkpoint could be an explosive. Who knows, they could start putting rectal bombs in babies. They already used it Saudi Arabia (just not on a baby) and we know they have blown up women. Why not little children?

    The illusion of safety is just that. This guy needed to be picked up. This same guy would have been picked up in 1995, 2000, or 50 years from now.
    They wouldnt have bothered him in 1995, or 2000. They wouldnt have cared either. Its a watch. Now its treated like a nuclear device which is thoughly riduclus.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  8. #78
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Man with strange watch arrested at Calif. airport

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    They wouldnt have bothered him in 1995, or 2000. They wouldnt have cared either. Its a watch. Now its treated like a nuclear device which is thoughly riduclus.
    We still had security then. People were still looking for bombs back then.

    National News Briefs - Fake Bomb at Airport In Martha's Vineyard - NYTimes.com
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •