Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 653

Thread: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

  1. #631
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    If I had the money or the ability to get backed for that money I would.
    So go find investors. I didn't ask for excuses from you OR the person it was addressed to. People saying "bad management" caused the company to fail need to step up, pay up, and show the rest of us how it's done. My money isn't going to be put on those claiming it was management getting any better result than the pros had.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #632
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    So go find investors. I didn't ask for excuses from you OR the person it was addressed to. People saying "bad management" caused the company to fail need to step up, pay up, and show the rest of us how it's done. My money isn't going to be put on those claiming it was management getting any better result than the pros had.
    You act like investors are something that you just go out and find like a rock. Sorry, but I am unable to get the backing to so. Some people are not able to get backing to do what they would like.

  3. #633
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You act like investors are something that you just go out and find like a rock. Sorry, but I am unable to get the backing to so. Some people are not able to get backing to do what they would like.
    Ah, but you KNOW that management was bad, and the employees suffered because of their decisions. If you are such a great economist and your management style is superior you should have no problem formulating a business plan to present to the investors who are there right? I mean, it's "nut up or shut up" time is it not? Twinkies and other products are national name brands, why not convince an investor to partner with you and show management "how it's done"?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #634
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Ah, but you KNOW that management was bad, and the employees suffered because of their decisions.
    Point to where I said the management was bad. I simply said if I could buy the brand if I could. I do have ideas that I think could make the company more profitable, however, I don't think the fault is solely with the management.


    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    If you are such a great economist and your management style is superior you should have no problem formulating a business plan to present to the investors who are there right? I mean, it's "nut up or shut up" time is it not? Twinkies and other products are national name brands, why not convince an investor to partner with you and show management "how it's done"?
    Again, not sure where your hostility is coming from but your snarky comments are not related to anything I said.

  5. #635
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Point to where I said the management was bad. I simply said if I could buy the brand if I could. I do have ideas that I think could make the company more profitable, however, I don't think the fault is solely with the management.
    The person I issued the challenge to blamed management. I assume you agree with him if you take up the challenge. So the options are prove us wrong or don't. Really simple.




    Again, not sure where your hostility is coming from but your snarky comments are not related to anything I said.
    You think I'm being snarky. I'm being efficient, instead of going through the motions of a long point I'm just slapping down the reality, lot's of people think they can be upper management, most of them are wrong.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #636
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,128

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Show us how it's done then. Go buy the brand, talk to the union with a contract that will get them back to work and keep the company profitable.
    Actually, I used to buy/sell companies as a job, which is somewhat relevant as I understand a bit about buyer/seller motive. That not withstanding, I can tell you that if the business were truly healthy, this would not have happened. Do not forget this is the second bankruptcy to befall the company in the last 10 years. It filed in 2004 and did not exit bankruptcy until 2009.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 11-27-12 at 10:16 PM.

  7. #637
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Actually, I used to buy/sell companies as a job, which is somewhat relevant as I understand a bit about buyer/seller motive. That not withstanding, I can tell you that if the business were truly healthy, this would not have happened. Do not forget this is the second bankruptcy to befall the company in the last 10 years. It filed in 2004 and did not exit bankruptcy until 2009.
    Yeah, I don't buy it. The reason I don't buy it is because people who flipped that kind of equity wouldn't be excusing liabilities the way you are.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #638
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,128

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Yeah, I don't buy it. The reason I don't buy it is because people who flipped that kind of equity wouldn't be excusing liabilities the way you are.
    You don't buy that I used to do that for a living... well, I posted my bio on the visitor message page of my site almost two years ago (see Career Part II).... you are free to see.

    View Profile: upsideguy - Debate Politics Forums

    You are also free to review the troubled history of Hostess. Again, if there was a viable business, this could have been worked out. Unfortunately, the business was a train wreck and the restructuring plan was a non-starter, hence they close. Blaming it solely on the unions is a nice package for gullible people that want to believe such things.

    Hiltzik: Poor management, not union intransigence, killed Hostess - Los Angeles Times

    The fact is this is another fine example of private equity (Bain Capital business model) at work. Three private equity companies, including Silver Point Partners, loaded this company up with debt.... and in the Bain model, "fee'd" this thing up with excessive management fees and dividends and left a weak balance sheet for the company to tackle its marketing and labor woes.

    Private Equity and Hostess Stumbling Together - NYTimes.com

    Management was trying to squeeze concessions out of the unions to make their likely weak business plan work. They already told the unions there would be massive layoffs and major restructuring of retirement benefits. The unions were left to pick their poison. The fact that one union decide to shoot themselves rather than get shot is indicative of what a poor business plan or prospect that business had.

    Hostess was a train-wreck as evidenced by the fact this was its second bankruptcy of a decade and that last bankruptcy took so long to work through. Anyone that is trying to sell this as those stupid unions took down a great company is ignorant of the many issues at play here.

  9. #639
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You don't buy that I used to do that for a living... well, I posted my bio on the visitor message page of my site almost two years ago (see Career Part II).... you are free to see.

    View Profile: upsideguy - Debate Politics Forums

    You are also free to review the troubled history of Hostess. Again, if there was a viable business, this could have been worked out. Unfortunately, the business was a train wreck and the restructuring plan was a non-starter, hence they close. Blaming it solely on the unions is a nice package for gullible people that want to believe such things.

    Hiltzik: Poor management, not union intransigence, killed Hostess - Los Angeles Times

    The fact is this is another fine example of private equity (Bain Capital business model) at work. Three private equity companies, including Silver Point Partners, loaded this company up with debt.... and in the Bain model, "fee'd" this thing up with excessive management fees and dividends and left a weak balance sheet for the company to tackle its marketing and labor woes.

    Private Equity and Hostess Stumbling Together - NYTimes.com

    Management was trying to squeeze concessions out of the unions to make their likely weak business plan work. They already told the unions there would be massive layoffs and major restructuring of retirement benefits. The unions were left to pick their poison. The fact that one union decide to shoot themselves rather than get shot is indicative of what a poor business plan or prospect that business had.

    Hostess was a train-wreck as evidenced by the fact this was its second bankruptcy of a decade and that last bankruptcy took so long to work through. Anyone that is trying to sell this as those stupid unions took down a great company is ignorant of the many issues at play here.
    The reason I don't buy your line is because you are making too many assumptions. The LA Times is not a business magazine, they aren't even unbiased, and frankly I couldn't give two ****s about their opinion on a business matter, sorry, but I wouldn't use them as an example, people who made investing and flipping into a business should know that.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #640
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You don't buy that I used to do that for a living... well, I posted my bio on the visitor message page of my site almost two years ago (see Career Part II).... you are free to see.

    View Profile: upsideguy - Debate Politics Forums

    You are also free to review the troubled history of Hostess. Again, if there was a viable business, this could have been worked out. Unfortunately, the business was a train wreck and the restructuring plan was a non-starter, hence they close. Blaming it solely on the unions is a nice package for gullible people that want to believe such things.

    Hiltzik: Poor management, not union intransigence, killed Hostess - Los Angeles Times

    The fact is this is another fine example of private equity (Bain Capital business model) at work. Three private equity companies, including Silver Point Partners, loaded this company up with debt.... and in the Bain model, "fee'd" this thing up with excessive management fees and dividends and left a weak balance sheet for the company to tackle its marketing and labor woes.

    Private Equity and Hostess Stumbling Together - NYTimes.com

    Management was trying to squeeze concessions out of the unions to make their likely weak business plan work. They already told the unions there would be massive layoffs and major restructuring of retirement benefits. The unions were left to pick their poison. The fact that one union decide to shoot themselves rather than get shot is indicative of what a poor business plan or prospect that business had.

    Hostess was a train-wreck as evidenced by the fact this was its second bankruptcy of a decade and that last bankruptcy took so long to work through. Anyone that is trying to sell this as those stupid unions took down a great company is ignorant of the many issues at play here.
    An OP by the LA times and the NY Times, is a reliable unbiased source of anything, I don't think so.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •