Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 653

Thread: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

  1. #51
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    It seems like a win-win. Not sure what everyone is upset about. Hostess says it must cut costs due to a bankruptcy agreement and will in no uncertain terms shut down if the strike continues. Unions declare they refuse to work for the salaries offered. Shut it down. Win win. The world will live without Twinkies.
    Yeah, I hear Bloomberg was going to ban Twinkies anyway.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  2. #52
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Max weekly unemployment pay out in Oklahoma is $358/week, or $8.95/hr on a 40 hour week.
    Max weekly unemployment pay out in Texas is $415/week, or $10.38/hr on a 40 hour week.

    What the hell are they thinking? They're willing to sacrifice an average of $9.60-$11 an hour in order to avoid losing an average of $2?!

    (Source for unemployment pay outs here: Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State
    Who wins and who loses here by not ending the strike:

    Company - Folds rather than continuing... They lose

    Unions - No dues from 18,000 people... They lose

    Workers - Go from $18 per hour + benefits, to approx $10 per hour and no benefits... They lose

    Consumer - No more Hostess products like Twinkies and Ding Dongs... They lose

    Government/Public - Go from collecting corporate taxes from Hostess and income taxes from 18,000 employees, to collecting no corporate taxes from Hostess, no income taxes from up to 18,000 workers and instead having to pay those people weekly wages not to work for up to 99 weeks... They lose


    Can anyone think of who wins here... Because I sure can't?

  3. #53
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Who wins and who loses here by not ending the strike:

    Company - Folds rather than continuing... They lose
    Unions - No dues from 18,000 people... They lose
    Workers - Go from $18 per hour + benefits, to approx $10 per hour and no benefits... They lose
    Consumer - No more Hostess products like Twinkies and Ding Dongs... They lose
    Government/Public - Go from collecting corporate taxes from Hostess and income taxes from 18,000 employees, to collecting no corporate taxes from Hostess, no income taxes from up to 18,000 workers and instead having to pay those people weekly wages not to work for up to 99 weeks... They lose

    Can anyone think of who wins here... Because I sure can't?
    The no more Hostess products could be a win. Or it could cause a huge riot by fat people in those little electric scooters.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #54
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    It seems like a win-win. Not sure what everyone is upset about. Hostess says it must cut costs due to a bankruptcy agreement and will in no uncertain terms shut down if the strike continues. Unions declare they refuse to work for the salaries offered. Shut it down. Win win. The world will live without Twinkies.

    Straight out of Democratic dogma. Close every company. Throw everyone out of work. For a platitude.

  5. #55
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The no more Hostess products could be a win. Or it could cause a huge riot by fat people in those little electric scooters.
    So you feel that offsets everything else I listed and makes continuing the strike and the company shutting down a good thing?

  6. #56
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,662

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Who wins and who loses here by not ending the strike:

    Company - Folds rather than continuing... They lose

    Unions - No dues from 18,000 people... They lose

    Workers - Go from $18 per hour + benefits, to approx $10 per hour and no benefits... They lose

    Consumer - No more Hostess products like Twinkies and Ding Dongs... They lose

    Government/Public - Go from collecting corporate taxes from Hostess and income taxes from 18,000 employees, to collecting no corporate taxes from Hostess, no income taxes from up to 18,000 workers and instead having to pay those people weekly wages not to work for up to 99 weeks... They lose


    Can anyone think of who wins here... Because I sure can't?
    With 18,000 more people to take care of the Democrat party wins.

  7. #57
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Straight out of Democratic dogma. Close every company. Throw everyone out of work. For a platitude.
    Meh...they can shut it down, sell it off, and let a non-union company start from scratch. Lost in all the union/anti-union bull**** is the glaring and obvious success of non-union auto manufacturing in this country. No need to play the game.

    Heck...lets go this one better. Hostess could shut the factory down and sell the plant and equipment to the UNION...and then the union would be owner operators. Watch how quick those hourly wages drop.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    So you feel that offsets everything else I listed and makes continuing the strike and the company shutting down a good thing?
    I have no say in the matter. Not only do I not eat Hostess products, I am neither manager nor union worker involved in the company. What do you want me to do about it?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #59
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    With 18,000 more people to take care of the Democrat party wins.
    Gee, I hadn't thought of that...

    O-Bah-Ma... O-Bah-Ma... O-Bah-Ma...

  10. #60
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,471

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Straight out of Democratic dogma. Close every company. Throw everyone out of work. For a platitude.
    How else do corporations learn that prevention lesson? Too big to fail eh?

Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •