Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 653

Thread: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

  1. #581
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,401

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Yeah? Well their option appears to have been unemployment, which I understand to be about a 100% pay cut.

    Well, actually, what % of their pay will they keep in the unemployment benefits that we will now be paying them for two years?



    Oh I do. You just seem to think that when groups of "people" make a decision, that they are necessarily making a wise or a good one. This has not been my experience with groups of "people."


    Good for them. I am sorry that the Bakers Union was more stubborn than the Teamsters, and got all the Teamsters fired, as well as losing their investment. I wish them greater success in the future, and they will probably avoid trying to help unionized firms because of this.


    Unions have become their own worst enemy in this country. When you kill off the host, you die too.
    When your host has become a blood sucking vampire what choice do you have? The difference is that the Govt. is financing the vampires.
    This is the second paycut they have been asked to bear in 3 years, the Hostess executives have gotten raises every year.

  2. #582
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Yes and no, Coke never released the raw numbers but issued percentages. There's no way of knowing what the methodology was and the sample, but reports from HQ had 1,000 plus complaint calls a day registered.
    I figure that they had market tested it well enough, before changing anything.
    I'm betting that had they not called it "New Coke," few would have noticed that much.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #583
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I figure that they had market tested it well enough, before changing anything.
    I'm betting that had they not called it "New Coke," few would have noticed that much.
    Not sure, like I said a few execs pretty much admitted it was a bad batch and they didn't want to lose it. I didn't see any complete numbers from the company but 1,000 complaints a day doesn't gel with the percentages they put out as liking the product IMO, remember too that they didn't actually change the new formula's name to "Coke II" until '91 or so, and they re-issued Coca Cola as "Classic Coke", in fact it still says "Classic" on the cans if you read them carefully.

    The official line from the other end was that the brand owner was getting up there in age and the company wanted a new formula to squeeze out the heirs after his passing, but it didn't survive customer backlash.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #584
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Not sure, like I said a few execs pretty much admitted it was a bad batch and they didn't want to lose it. I didn't see any complete numbers from the company but 1,000 complaints a day doesn't gel with the percentages they put out as liking the product IMO, remember too that they didn't actually change the new formula's name to "Coke II" until '91 or so, and they re-issued Coca Cola as "Classic Coke", in fact it still says "Classic" on the cans if you read them carefully.

    The official line from the other end was that the brand owner was getting up there in age and the company wanted a new formula to squeeze out the heirs after his passing, but it didn't survive customer backlash.
    Just my opinion, I prefer soft drinks with sugar, rather than corn syrup.
    To me, Coke leaves a nasty after taste to.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #585
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Just my opinion, I prefer soft drinks with sugar, rather than corn syrup.
    To me, Coke leaves a nasty after taste to.
    Corn syrup has been used for ages though, at least since the late 70s. A couple years back I ran across a guy who said there is still a sugarcane based Coca Cola made specifically for older fans of the drink but it's more expensive and very hard to find.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #586
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Corn syrup has been used for ages though, at least since the late 70s. A couple years back I ran across a guy who said there is still a sugarcane based Coca Cola made specifically for older fans of the drink but it's more expensive and very hard to find.
    Mexico and other South of the Border nations use cane sugar.
    Pepsi has the "Throwback" version.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #587
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Mexico and other South of the Border nations use cane sugar.
    Pepsi has the "Throwback" version.
    Yeah. In fact if I remember correctly the guy said it was in a Cuban immigrant run grocery store that he found the sugarcane Coke, could have been a latin store in general but their customers prefer the sugarcane as well, and this guy grew up with the original sugarcane drink. He said the same thing you did, sugar was superior and no corn syrup aftertaste.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #588
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Looks like the mediation failed and they are back to liquidation....
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #589
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    . A couple years back I ran across a guy who said there is still a sugarcane based Coca Cola made specifically for older fans of the drink but it's more expensive and very hard to find.
    They seem do that once a year. Real sugar mountain Dew, pepsi etc... and honestly, it tasted the same to me. I think it's probabl yjust more psychological then anything.

    Edit: just found a link:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/02/p...dew-april.html

  10. #590
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    They seem do that once a year. Real sugar mountain Dew, pepsi etc... and honestly, it tasted the same to me. I think it's probabl yjust more psychological then anything.

    Edit: just found a link:
    Pepsi to Use Real Sugar in 'Pepsi Throwback' and 'Mountain Dew Throwback' in April | Serious Eats
    Eh, who knows. Some people tend to have more sensitive pallets than others from what I understand, such as people who can't drink alcohol because the taste repulses them due to a higher taste bud count, some people can tell the difference between aluminum, plastic, and glass containers, etc.

    Heck, I've known people who didn't notice a difference between Coke and Pepsi, now that one was a head scratcher.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •