Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 653

Thread: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

  1. #381
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    g

    Those salaries are definitely why the company is $860 million dollars in debt.

    All the lamenting! Oh gosh how awful those rich people are. The reason people put money into companies isn't because they wanted to make charitable contributions. Nor were the employees working charity. All in it for themselves. No exceptions.

    For whatever reasons, the employees' union and company management both made take-it-or-bust offers. Both refused. End of company, end of story. That's how it went.

    Here's the simple fact - for which everyone is trying to be moral judges - when it all just about money. Not one of the employees was required to work for $18 per hour. That was the offer. Because they are union, they voted on it and said no, they want $20 an hour. The board voted on that, and a majority said no.

    So the company closed down. The end then is: No managers. No employees. No board.

    ^ See how simple it is.
    High executive salary, increasing competition from similar products, an aging line of products that haven't really done anything in decades to keep the marketing fresh, an increasing concern with health and obesity, especially among children, going into bankruptcy and them coming out of bankruptcy even further into debt...

    But no. It was all the union, right?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #382
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    High executive salary, increasing competition from similar products, an aging line of products that haven't really done anything in decades to keep the marketing fresh, an increasing concern with health and obesity, especially among children...

    But no. It was all the union, right?
    The union was the final nail in the coffin. No one can argue with that fact.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #383
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The union was the final nail in the coffin. No one can argue with that fact.
    I, in fact, argue that fact. I think the final nail happened years ago. The rest was just a corpse flopping around a bit longer.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #384
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I, in fact, argue that fact. I think the final nail happened years ago. The rest was just a corpse flopping around a bit longer.
    Your argument requires massive assumptions. Mine does not.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #385
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Your argument requires massive assumptions. Mine does not.
    No, my argument requires reading up on the company's history. They've been in trouble for nearly a decade. This was a fundamentally flawed organization.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #386
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, my argument requires reading up on the company's history. They've been in trouble for nearly a decade. This was a fundamentally flawed organization.
    I've read up on the company's history. There is no information available on line that would indicate this company was doomed. Again, one must make massive assumptions to arrive at that conclusion. From the information we have available to us (the general public), the union drove in the final nail. No assumptions required.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #387
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The union was the final nail in the coffin. No one can argue with that fact.
    Why should the union accept pay cuts for employees when management & execs were giving themselves raises so their salaries wouldn't change after going into bankruptcy?

    Management drives the company into bankruptcy (again) , gives themselves raises ... but then demands the rank and file employees all take pay cuts.

    How'd that work out?

  8. #388
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Why should the union accept pay cuts for employees when management & execs were giving themselves raises so their salaries wouldn't change after going into bankruptcy?

    Management drives the company into bankruptcy (again) , gives themselves raises ... but then demands the rank and file employees all take pay cuts.

    How'd that work out?
    You're late to the party. Senior management had agreed to work for $1 a year until the company emerged from bankruptcy.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #389
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I've read up on the company's history. There is no information available on line that would indicate this company was doomed. Again, one must make massive assumptions to arrive at that conclusion. From the information we have available to us (the general public), the union drove in the final nail. No assumptions required.
    Did you see the part where they went into bankruptcy in 2004 and came out years later further into debt? (by an amount very close to the nine figure "consulting fees" they paid?)

    Reducing worker salary by $2/hr wasn't going to save this company.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #390
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You're late to the party. Senior management had agreed to work for $1 a year until the company emerged from bankruptcy.
    For $1/year until it came out of bankruptcy, or December 31st. They agreed to a salary cut for less than one year.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •