Page 32 of 66 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 653

Thread: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

  1. #311
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, they didn't. New Coke would be a great example of It Being Managements' Fault. This is not it.

    Why not?

  2. #312
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Why not?
    Because Hostess did not recently sink massive sums of money in a "New Twinkie", or anything comparable.

  3. #313
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Well in this case it is largely the unions' fault. Management didn't (as near as I can tell) decide to mass-invest in a new product that consumers hated, or try to expand production faster than the market would bear. That in no way whitewashes or absolves any screwups by management; and the notion of moral blame in a question of business viability is sort of.... off. It's the managements' job to see the best result for the company. Unions have a different focus of effort, and one that often clashes with what is best for the company. Except that in competition, when what is best for the company doesn't happen, the company dies. That's why unions shrink in the private sector over time - the businesses that they are attached to tend to die off.
    You're right it is the unions fault. Hostess had a deal in place with the teamsters union, however a much smaller union wouldn't budge.

    Sometimes you have to say enough is enough and get out why you can.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    What product was that?

    I remember New Coke BTW
    Yeah? well I remember clear Pepsi.

    It tasted like sugar water.

  5. #315
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Because Hostess did not recently sink massive sums of money in a "New Twinkie", or anything comparable.

    Because venture capitalists sunk it all into debt. Hoping to make a buck off that.

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Because venture capitalists sunk it all into debt. Hoping to make a buck off that.
    No, the "venture capitalists" will be the ones buying the rights to the Hostess brand.

  7. #317
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,344

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    It's not just that 18,000 jobs will be lost, but that 18,000 more people will be going on the government dole and collecting up to 99 weeks of public money to support them, when these people voluntarily pissed away a decent paying job.
    You just realized this after you got done cheering the "holding companies" that own "Hostess" on? You just figured out that Vulture capital firms buying companies in trouble and breaking them up for profit cost the Govt. allot of money? Who do you thinks holding the bag on the pension obligations?. But all of this is moot because we all know a free market is the only way to go. God forbid we hold anybody responsible for anything they do to make a profit. Leaving the Govt. holding the bag is just gravy.

  8. #318
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Because venture capitalists sunk it all into debt. Hoping to make a buck off that.
    Venture Capital is generally start up firms, or small firms. That's why it's called Venture Capital. However, if you have any evidence of your interesting assertion, I would be happy in hearing it.

    Interesting how you seem to have some kind of mirror image of the strawman you accused others of. It must be bad management because unions never make impossible demands

  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You just realized this after you got done cheering the "holding companies" that own "Hostess" on? You just figured out that Vulture capital firms buying companies in trouble and breaking them up for profit cost the Govt. allot of money? Who do you thinks holding the bag on the pension obligations?. But all of this is moot because we all know a free market is the only way to go. God forbid we hold anybody responsible for anything they do to make a profit. Leaving the Govt. holding the bag is just gravy.
    I would love to know why progressives believe businesses are only in business to employ people???

    I would also love to know why progressives believe making money is wrong?

    Progressives work for money do they not? well guess what - those who have a stake in Hostess only have a stake for the same reason - to make money. What do you think? these people run the company to take losses?

    When a company is no longer profitable to run - you shut it down and sell off what you can.

    BTW, you're going to see a lot more of this..... Businesses selling off their brand names and assets to companies that will buy them and staff them with temp workers to avoid the union nonsense. But I suppose that will be the silver lining of this horrible economy - the destruction of the labor union.

  10. #320
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    no longer posting
    Last Seen
    01-10-13 @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    453

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    And this is why I hate unions.

Page 32 of 66 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •