Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 653

Thread: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

  1. #201
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Perhaps it has more to do with their products being twice as expensive for consumers than competitor products during a period when the consumers are more price conscious. Walmart has their knockoffs of the Hostess snackcakes; Little Debbie has some comparable cakes at a cheaper price, etc. They may not have tasted 100% the same, but a two minute sugar and cinnamon fix isn't an upscale experience worthy of an upscale price.
    Agreed, however, their flagship products were superior in taste and they failed to advertise that effectively. There are plenty of Twinkie knock-offs and they all taste like crap, a carload of sugar mixed together. The Twinkie, the Ding Dong, whatever, they were all "treats", as in one in a while snack. They're not meant to be lived on (though some apparently try).

  2. #202
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    And this is why unions exist. So that those who have money and power cannot exercise that power over everyone else with impunity.
    And now they are getting laid off because of THEIR GREED!!!
    The company is CLOSING!!!

    Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business - Business on NBCNews.com
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Let?
    Because the Name, property, and equipment belongs to the Company/Share holders.

    Let the Union and the employees buy it if they can afford it.

    What's really messed up about this is basically you have one Union screwing over it own members and another Union just to make a point.
    And some people think Unions actually care about them. Doh!

    Unions are businesses and big businesses in fact. That they actually care for 'the working man' is a myth that should have been dismissed as nonsense long ago.

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalatix View Post
    Unions are trying to get better wages for workers. You do realize, of course, that workers have become 300% as productive as they were in 1947, but have only received about a 100% wage increase since then? Workers are giving Corporations far more than they're getting in return.

    Get used to workers fighting for better wages - nationwide. Your beloved CEOs get better pay as time goes on. Workers are people, too.

    Sorry, but reality isn't what Gina Rineheart says it is.
    Actually the reality is just what she says it is. Where did she go wrong?

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Sorry Tess, by default CEO's are evil.
    There are few businesses where the employees don't feel they are smarter than the boss.

  6. #206
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,552
    Blog Entries
    11

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Isn't amazing that when businesses fail it's always the workers' fault -- never management's fault for being ****ty at managing the company.
    Well, no. I have not seen unions taking blame except when, as in this case, they deserve some of the blame. It's especially dramatic in this case: Union strikes --> Company goes out of business.

    The fact is that Interstate Bakeries (Hostess' parent company) has been failing for a long time due to its inability to adapt to a changing marketplace. That's not to say that the union was right in digging in its heels, but let's not ignore management's share of the blame.
    Duely noted. However, the union has been especially stupid, going on strike when they did. And yes, that is their fault.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  7. #207
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    There are few businesses where the employees don't feel they are smarter than the boss.
    They can 'feel' whatever they want, but the reality is they are the employee, not the employer, thus a feeling such as above is obviously wrong.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  8. #208
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalatix View Post
    Unions are trying to get better wages for workers. You do realize, of course, that workers have become 300% as productive as they were in 1947, but have only received about a 100% wage increase since then? Workers are giving Corporations far more than they're getting in return.

    Get used to workers fighting for better wages - nationwide. Your beloved CEOs get better pay as time goes on. Workers are people, too.

    Sorry, but reality isn't what Gina Rineheart says it is.
    Technically it is technology not work that is making them 300% more productive. They are not the ones who bought the technology so why should they reap all the marginal profits from it, or any of it for that matter if there is someone else who would be willing to do their job for less?

  9. #209
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalatix View Post
    Unions are trying to get better wages for workers. You do realize, of course, that workers have become 300% as productive as they were in 1947, but have only received about a 100% wage increase since then? Workers are giving Corporations far more than they're getting in return.

    Get used to workers fighting for better wages - nationwide. Your beloved CEOs get better pay as time goes on. Workers are people, too.

    Sorry, but reality isn't what Gina Rineheart says it is.
    Average salary in the 1940's: $1300/year -- adjusted for inflation to 1995: $11,000
    Average salary in the 1990's: $27,809/year

    That's a real increase of 153%. So you're wrong.

    That's not taking account that the reason workers are more productive today is because they're working on $2 million machines.

    Workers only have one thing to sell to corporations: their 8-hour day. Same 8 hours they had in 1947 are still around today.

    http://kclibrary.lonestar.edu/decade40.html
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #210
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,552
    Blog Entries
    11

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Perhaps it has more to do with their products being twice as expensive for consumers than competitor products during a period when the consumers are more price conscious. Walmart has their knockoffs of the Hostess snackcakes; Little Debbie has some comparable cakes at a cheaper price, etc. They may not have tasted 100% the same, but a two minute sugar and cinnamon fix isn't an upscale experience worthy of an upscale price.
    So some people are wont to blame management, pointing to the fact that Hostess products are more expensive than the competition. Is it management's fault if labor costs are high and can't be reduced because of union intransigence? Perhaps they should have moved their production to Mexico a long time ago; that would have been a smart management decision.

    It looks like Hostess was beset by two problems, higher production costs, more competition, and, no make that three problems, higher production costs, more competition, and declining appeal for low end high carb snacks. A big part of the lack of flexibility in responding to those challenges is the lack of flexibility of the union.

    I realize that many unions have shown flexibility and a willingness to work with the companies when market forces change, but apparently this union was not flexible.

    In any case, the union movement richly deserves to have the death of the Twinkie hung around its neck.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •