Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 653

Thread: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    This might alleviate some of the 'executive pay' concerns projected in this thread:

    Hostess cuts execs' salaries after creditors complain - Dallas Business Journal

    I'd say this is MUCH more committment than the mere $2/hr the union hands are protesting:

    Gregory F. Rayburn, who took over as CEO at Hostess last month, told the Journal that the company's top four executives working under him had agreed to have their salaries cut to $1 a year until Hostess emerges from bankruptcy or Dec. 31, whichever occurs first.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  2. #122
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Who wins and who loses here by not ending the strike:

    Company - Folds rather than continuing... They lose

    Unions - No dues from 18,000 people... They lose

    Workers - Go from $18 per hour + benefits, to approx $10 per hour and no benefits... They lose

    Consumer - No more Hostess products like Twinkies and Ding Dongs... They lose

    Government/Public - Go from collecting corporate taxes from Hostess and income taxes from 18,000 employees, to collecting no corporate taxes from Hostess, no income taxes from up to 18,000 workers and instead having to pay those people weekly wages not to work for up to 99 weeks... They lose


    Can anyone think of who wins here... Because I sure can't?
    Who else is being asked to take a hair cut?

    Non union employees?
    Executives?
    The lender?


    Only 50% of workers are union members, are they the only ones being asked to take a cut?
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  3. #123
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    My dad was a union worker and his union called a strike. They were out for months....LSS, the workers would NEVER be able to recover their losses with the raise they got, as they would not live long enough...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Can anyone think of who wins here... Because I sure can't?
    Little Debbie and whoever buys the rights to the Hostess Brands

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    I might be wrong but Wonder bread is a Hostess brand and is pretty popular. Wouldn’t their absence on the store shelf cause a bread shortage and thus a price increase at least in the short term? Wouldn’t the supposed price increase on a pretty universal staple harm the low/middle class folks?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  6. #126
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    I might be wrong but Wonder bread is a Hostess brand and is pretty popular. Wouldn’t their absence on the store shelf cause a bread shortage and thus a price increase at least in the short term? Wouldn’t the supposed price increase on a pretty universal staple harm the low/middle class folks?

    Should people all over take pay cuts to ensure cheaper products for the poor?
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  7. #127
    Advisor melons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    376

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    A manufacturing company in our town had a union that went on strike in July of 2010. One year later these guys were still on strike ...standing out there day in and day out with their little signs. In the mean time, the company hired new employees to do the work. However, it didn't work out well for either side in the end. Right now this company is in the middle of closing down. So everyone lost in the end.
    The Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Should people all over take pay cuts to ensure cheaper products for the poor?
    Interesting strawman there...isn't that what 'tax the rich' is all about?

    Specific to your question, no.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  9. #129
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Interesting strawman there...isn't that what 'tax the rich' is all about?

    Specific to your question, no.
    So then your concern about Wonderbread and the poor was just for show?
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  10. #130
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Hostess threatens to lay off 18,000 employees unless strike ends[W:521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    So then your concern about Wonderbread and the poor was just for show?
    No, honestly it was self concern...I don't want to pay more for a loaf of bread...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •