Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 133

Thread: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

  1. #21
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    The sad thing is, the poor, and soon to be poor, love him too.
    For the time being, anyhow...
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  2. #22
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't buy that. I just think that a larger % of Americans have decided it makes more sense to take a long vacation than to go out a get a job. (Sorry.)
    I don't even by that. As soon as we had jobs here, people were gone and to work. We essentially have 0 unemployment. In fact, we have more jobs than we have people to fill them in the area. Not good jobs mind you, but jobs.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You do realize there is a connection to this and republican policies. We've been cutting taxes for some time...
    You're saying that Obama's 2010 tax Cut for the Rich has added to the poverty level?
    Please explain how this is so.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee White View Post
    You're saying that Obama's 2010 tax Cut for the Rich has added to the poverty level?
    Please explain how this is so.
    I've explained and linked it elsewhere. Not just Obama allowing the cut to continue, but a long, long row of tax cuts and cuts in services have led to an increased gap between rich and poor, placing more people below the tax level. In the past, the wealthy paid at a higher rate, this paid for services designed to move people out of poverty. While it didn't move 100%, there was mobility. This brought more workers into the work force that were making a taxable wage. Cutting taxes and thus those programs, then demonizing the poor, eating away at worker avenues to fight back (unions - with the help of corrupt unions) all left us with more poor who had less ways to move out. Which leads to a larger gap between rich and poor, and a smaller and smaller tax base.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've explained and linked it elsewhere. Not just Obama allowing the cut to continue...
    So you DO blame The Obama, at least in part for the increase in poverty.

    Cutting taxes and thus those programs....
    Specifically, which programs designed to help the poor lift themsleves or of poverty have been cut since the 2001 tax cuts, and how are these cuts significant?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee White View Post
    So you DO blame The Obama, at least in part for the increase in poverty.


    Which programs designed to help the poor lift themsleve sor of poverty, have been cut since the 2001 tax cuts?
    I actually blame us as voters, and the courts who helped keep the connection between money and politics.

    And you have to back further than 2001. This has been a long process. Right now it is no longer about which president or party, as both and all share responsibility. It is about the wrong head ideology that has been moving it this way.

    Now I know you seek a Yes, it's Obama's fault as an answer. but that is too simplistic and as such a lie. Put him on the list with everyone else, but at the end of the day it has been this notion of tax cuts again and again that has led us down this path.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I actually blame us as voters, and the courts who helped keep the connection between money and politics.
    And you have to back further than 2001. This has been a long process.
    Not according to the poverty rates - they've been going up and down within a narrow range for decades, depending mostly on the economy.
    You, however, attribute the current spike in poverty to tax cuts and the resulting cuts in programs to help the poor help themselves.
    So, for your argument to stick, you have to specify which of said programs were cut, and were cut because of the tax cuts.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee White View Post
    Not according to the poverty rates - they've been going up and down within a narrow range for decades, depending mostly on the economy.
    You, however, attribute the current spike in poverty to tax cuts and the resulting cuts in programs to help the poor help themselves.
    So, for your argument to stick, you have to specify which of said programs were cut, and were cut because of the tax cuts.
    The gap has been growing. Where you define poverty may be an issue. And it has been growing for a long time. And no, I don't attribute it to what has happen just lately, but to a long term change in Ideology.

    I linked a study up the polls section where this was first discussed.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Obama ZeDong Thought is the only Truth!
    Fixed

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Census: U.S. Poverty Rate Spikes, Nearly 50 Million Americans Affected

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The gap has been growing.
    http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/pover...al/people.html
    Aveage since 1970 is 13.1%. with a standard deviation of 1.2%.
    Highest 5 years:
    2011........ 15.0
    1982........ 15.0
    2010........ 15.1
    1993........ 15.1
    1983........ 15.2
    Lowest 5 year:
    1973........ 11.1
    1974......... 11.2
    2000......... 11.3
    1978........ 11.4
    1977........ 11.6
    Middle 5 years:
    1989........ 12.8
    1988........ 13.0
    1980........ 13.0
    2008........ 13.2
    1997........ 13.3

    Looks to me like the poverty rate has remained pretty steady, fluctuting within a narroe range depending on the economy.

    Where you define poverty may be an issue.
    As the federal governmeent defines it. if your defintion differers, then there's the issue.

    And it has been growing for a long time.
    Not according to the historical poverty rates.

    And no, I don't attribute it to what has happen just lately, but to a long term change in Ideology.
    1970 - 2011... what change is that?

    Further, and again:
    You, attribute the --current-- spike in poverty to tax cuts and the resulting cuts in programs to help the poor help themselves.
    So, for your argument to stick, you have to specify which of said programs were cut, and were cut because of the tax cuts.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •