Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 531

Thread: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

  1. #411
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus
    There's a point at which you run out of options, you either pay the piper or you don't eat. What do you do then?
    I find the place with a bunch of unskilled laborers working 29.5 hours a week and no health insurance, pay the same price I always paid, and enjoy my food. Many others may follow suit, but some surely will not. They will be my new go-to place.

  2. #412
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It would seem that a lot of liberals in here do not realize the cost of benefits in a total compensation package. For example, earnings of an employee making $57K per year, with a 401K, and carrying health insurance, is typically $84K per year to the company...
    Exactly. They do not seem to realize that what they are actually saying is "If you don't have the extra $27K, then either lower their pay by $27K, or don't hire them at all".

  3. #413
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,751

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Austerity isn't far away, we are iirc only a percentage point or two behind where Greece and Spain were as a measure of debt to GDP and we got down graded so it's not more than a couple of years at this pace.
    Apples and oranges. We can still borrow money at negative (effective) interest rates.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #414
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Apples and oranges. We can still borrow money at negative (effective) interest rates.
    For how long, and what's the interest rate, and how much are we eating into the principle we already owe? All of these things are important.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #415
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,757

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Apples and oranges. We can still borrow money at negative (effective) interest rates.
    It won't be long, we really have no means to pay back the money we've borrowed now, China is going to eventually cut us off and then what happens?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #416
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Exactly. They do not seem to realize that what they are actually saying is "If you don't have the extra $27K, then either lower their pay by $27K, or don't hire them at all".
    I think that liberals do understand this perfectly well. It's conservatives who don't seem to understand that, because health insurance is deductible to the employer and not for individuals, it is a better deal for employees to get insurance through the employer and take less pay in exchange.

    Say, for example, that the employer is paying $10k to the insurance company. He can deduct that, so (assuming a c. 30% tax rate) it comes to $7k. So the employee takes $7k less in salary. If instead the employee got that $7k in salary and paid $10k for the same insurance, he would obviously be worse off to the tune of $3k ... and it would make no difference to the employer.

    Of course, if we didn't have ACA and the employer didn't provide insurance, the employee would end up paying considerably more than $10k for the same coverage because he has much less bargaining power than the employer.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  7. #417
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,529

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Ron Paul, I objected to the person, who had views that were not reflected in the Libertarian platform, specifically his crazy religious beliefs. I also object to the party platform.



    I disagree with all of them, but specifically in relation to the military, I think the Libertarians go too far. While we should not be the planet's policeman, we should also not be isolationist, there is a comfortable middle-ground that we ought to seek.



    Hell, I think we ought to actually have a war on drugs and put 100% of all drug dealers to death. The only reason we have so many people in prison is because we're putting drug users away when we ought to be treating them. I will never vote for any party that favors total drug legalization. About the best I might do is compromise on marijuana legalization and even that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.



    It comes nowhere near mine, sorry. Of course, there really are no conservative parties out there today. You've got the idiot lefty liberals and the idiot religious liberals, actual conservatism, not this stupid "neo-conservatism" simply is not represented by any existing party in the country.
    Given your final paragraph, you may be closer to the libertarian philosophy than you think. Have you ever taken the quiz on Political Compass?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #418
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    All you are doing - in addition to your silly barnyard creatures - is repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over. And what you are repeating is that you managed to find a source which says that the term VULTURE CAPITALIST can be used as a negative for VENTURE CAPITALIST. And that is what you are hanging your hat on - besides using it as an excuse to repeatedly attack me.

    What you FAIL to understand - and what you have FAILED to understand from the beginning - is that your big source is just one opinion on a term that is relatively new and evolving in the culture. As such, there are going to be differences in opinion and differences in definition as the term evolves, gains understanding in wider usage, and comes to be accepted in the broader culture.

    I attempted to take you beyond the security you found in that definition by providing you actual uses of the term in the very political controversy that spawned it - the Romney Bain Capital discussions that arose during the GOP primary debates. I provided for you actual video - which apparently you intentionally ignored because it showed you are wrong - in which several prominent Republicans including the Governor of Texas and the former Speaker of the House clearly laid out for you as detailed case as to
    1- what the difference is between VENTURE CAPITALISTS and VULTURE CAPITALISTS
    2- why Mitt Romney qualified as a VUTLURE CAPITALIST through his experience at Bain and not merely the normal VENTURE CAPITALIST.

    Both men gave you minutes of detail on both of these things.

    What was your reaction? Pretend that nothing exists except your little quickie internet definition. Oh - and your barnyard addition to mock me.

    So I then referred you to an article which detailed the thoughts of a Nobel Prize winning economist on the topic and even linked to a video where you could listen to it. Again, like in the other videos, it was clear what the differences between VENTURE CAPITALISM and VULTURE CAPITALISM was. Of course, one had to read it and one had to listen to it.

    What was your reaction: You repeated the same internet quickie definition while ignoring the additional evidence. And of course your chicken intended to mock.

    And now all you do is repeat the same thing over and over and over ignoring the mountain of evidence I produced going far beyond your little internet quickie definitions.

    Your own definition clearly indicates that there is and are substantive differences between the two categories. Look at what your own definition says from Google



    Your own definition divides the two and separates the two.

    And your other definition from free Online does the same



    Again, treating the two as two separate and different entities.

    So what do we have here? Over and over and over again you ignore a mountain of evidence about the differences between VULTURE CAPITALISM and VENTURE CAPITALISM in favor of hanging your entire case on a couple of internet quickie definitions that themselves state that there are differences and place them in different groupings.

    1- you ignore and are silent about the evidence which refutes your claim
    2- your own evidence defeats your own allegations and claims
    All that to say nothing in an attempt to cover for your dishonesty.
    Go figure.

    It doesn't matter if you think there are multiple meaning or not.
    You clearly said that it didn't mean a Venture Capitalist when it clearly does.
    Do you not understand that that means you are wrong? And were shown to be wrong by evidence that was provided in the form of a definition.

    I repeat it because it apparently escapes you that you were wrong.

    All this twisting and turning and whirlish dancing just because you can't say you were wrong.

    Go figure!

  9. #419
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal wit

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    When someone makes the statement that Americans are more satisfied with their health care system than are Canadians, asking what Canadians would trade their system for ours is ridiculous and meaningless?

    OK, then, let me ask this one:

    What Americans would trade their system for one like the Canadians have?
    As I said:
    It is a ridiculous question.

    It would be like asking Medicaid recipients if we should eliminate it.
    Or maybe we should just ask those Canadian's that have come to the U.S. to get care.

    It is a ridiculous question and is meaningless in this discussion.

    Do you not understand why it would be like asking the questions I submitted?


    As for your additional question. The answer is an obvious.
    Those who have none, and those who couldn't afford to provide it for their selves.
    Those whose who want the Government to go beyond governing, and provided nanny services.


    Which is partly why your original question, and your further ones are ridiculous.

  10. #420
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,757

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Given your final paragraph, you may be closer to the libertarian philosophy than you think. Have you ever taken the quiz on Political Compass?
    Yes and I fall nowhere remotely close to libertarianism. Usually 3-4 ticks right and one or two up if I remember right.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •