Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 531

Thread: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

  1. #381
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who truly are economically illiterate enough to suppose that business owners are some kind of magical money tree - that no matter what burden you put on them they can continue to make a system work and profit and grow. Aesop knew what he was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    My employer doesn't buy me auto insurance! My Rights Are Being Abused!!!
    If a business owner doesn't want his employees to have benefits, then he can do all the work himself. What percentage of business owners cam do all the work by themselves? People need to work somewhere, and businesses need someone to work. A quality business depends on ideas and an owner(s) capability but also on quality employees. By providing health insurance, employees will have the comfort of knowing they'll be covered if something happens, and this reduces turnover and increases employee performance. Aside from all that, it's the right thing to do. Not providing the option of benefits for staff that work hard and efficiently - and form a constructive relationship with their boss, peers, and customers - is total crap. Employers who are short sighted and don't care about their staff can eat it. The people who choose to work for people like that keep their job because they're afraid things will be worse elsewhere.

    Also, if I'm not paying for my own health insurance, it's really weird that all this money is taken out of my paycheck. See, employees and employers both contribute -- in many areas.

    And with auto insurance, people choose whether or not to drive. Nobody chooses whether or not to have cancer.
    A working class hero is something to be

  2. #382
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 09:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    579

    re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    When someone makes the statement that Americans are more satisfied with their health care system than are Canadians, asking what Canadians would trade their system for ours is ridiculous and meaningless?

    OK, then, let me ask this one:

    What Americans would trade their system for one like the Canadians have?
    I would but I would prefer the UKs system to the Canadian one.

  3. #383
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Such hyperbole!

    Here we go again!

    All you are doing - in addition to your silly barnyard creatures - is repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over. And what you are repeating is that you managed to find a source which says that the term VULTURE CAPITALIST can be used as a negative for VENTURE CAPITALIST. And that is what you are hanging your hat on - besides using it as an excuse to repeatedly attack me.

    What you FAIL to understand - and what you have FAILED to understand from the beginning - is that your big source is just one opinion on a term that is relatively new and evolving in the culture. As such, there are going to be differences in opinion and differences in definition as the term evolves, gains understanding in wider usage, and comes to be accepted in the broader culture.

    I attempted to take you beyond the security you found in that definition by providing you actual uses of the term in the very political controversy that spawned it - the Romney Bain Capital discussions that arose during the GOP primary debates. I provided for you actual video - which apparently you intentionally ignored because it showed you are wrong - in which several prominent Republicans including the Governor of Texas and the former Speaker of the House clearly laid out for you as detailed case as to
    1- what the difference is between VENTURE CAPITALISTS and VULTURE CAPITALISTS
    2- why Mitt Romney qualified as a VUTLURE CAPITALIST through his experience at Bain and not merely the normal VENTURE CAPITALIST.

    Both men gave you minutes of detail on both of these things.

    What was your reaction? Pretend that nothing exists except your little quickie internet definition. Oh - and your barnyard addition to mock me.

    So I then referred you to an article which detailed the thoughts of a Nobel Prize winning economist on the topic and even linked to a video where you could listen to it. Again, like in the other videos, it was clear what the differences between VENTURE CAPITALISM and VULTURE CAPITALISM was. Of course, one had to read it and one had to listen to it.

    What was your reaction: You repeated the same internet quickie definition while ignoring the additional evidence. And of course your chicken intended to mock.

    And now all you do is repeat the same thing over and over and over ignoring the mountain of evidence I produced going far beyond your little internet quickie definitions.

    Your own definition clearly indicates that there is and are substantive differences between the two categories. Look at what your own definition says from Google

    Like them or not, many vulture capitalists make more money than the venture capitalists do.
    Your own definition divides the two and separates the two.

    And your other definition from free Online does the same

    However, vulture capitalists may be in a better position to market these new products than the inventors themselves.
    Again, treating the two as two separate and different entities.

    So what do we have here? Over and over and over again you ignore a mountain of evidence about the differences between VULTURE CAPITALISM and VENTURE CAPITALISM in favor of hanging your entire case on a couple of internet quickie definitions that themselves state that there are differences and place them in different groupings.

    1- you ignore and are silent about the evidence which refutes your claim
    2- your own evidence defeats your own allegations and claims
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #384
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    All you are doing - in addition to your silly barnyard creatures - is repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over. And what you are repeating is that you managed to find a source which says that the term VULTURE CAPITALIST can be used as a negative for VENTURE CAPITALIST. And that is what you are hanging your hat on - besides using it as an excuse to repeatedly attack me.

    What you FAIL to understand - and what you have FAILED to understand from the beginning - is that your big source is just one opinion on a term that is relatively new and evolving in the culture. As such, there are going to be differences in opinion and differences in definition as the term evolves, gains understanding in wider usage, and comes to be accepted in the broader culture.

    I attempted to take you beyond the security you found in that definition by providing you actual uses of the term in the very political controversy that spawned it - the Romney Bain Capital discussions that arose during the GOP primary debates. I provided for you actual video - which apparently you intentionally ignored because it showed you are wrong - in which several prominent Republicans including the Governor of Texas and the former Speaker of the House clearly laid out for you as detailed case as to
    1- what the difference is between VENTURE CAPITALISTS and VULTURE CAPITALISTS
    2- why Mitt Romney qualified as a VUTLURE CAPITALIST through his experience at Bain and not merely the normal VENTURE CAPITALIST.

    Both men gave you minutes of detail on both of these things.

    What was your reaction? Pretend that nothing exists except your little quickie internet definition. Oh - and your barnyard addition to mock me.

    So I then referred you to an article which detailed the thoughts of a Nobel Prize winning economist on the topic and even linked to a video where you could listen to it. Again, like in the other videos, it was clear what the differences between VENTURE CAPITALISM and VULTURE CAPITALISM was. Of course, one had to read it and one had to listen to it.

    What was your reaction: You repeated the same internet quickie definition while ignoring the additional evidence. And of course your chicken intended to mock.

    And now all you do is repeat the same thing over and over and over ignoring the mountain of evidence I produced going far beyond your little internet quickie definitions.

    Your own definition clearly indicates that there is and are substantive differences between the two categories. Look at what your own definition says from Google



    Your own definition divides the two and separates the two.

    And your other definition from free Online does the same



    Again, treating the two as two separate and different entities.

    So what do we have here? Over and over and over again you ignore a mountain of evidence about the differences between VULTURE CAPITALISM and VENTURE CAPITALISM in favor of hanging your entire case on a couple of internet quickie definitions that themselves state that there are differences and place them in different groupings.

    1- you ignore and are silent about the evidence which refutes your claim
    2- your own evidence defeats your own allegations and claims

    Oh for Christ sake. Just admit that you used that pejorative term because it was a negative way to characterize Mitt Romney, and instead of running a substantive campaign you liberals had to smear, and sully the career of a decent man, because you couldn't have won a head to head campaign on ideas.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #385
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    If a business owner doesn't want his employees to have benefits, then he can do all the work himself.
    And if a business owner is just expanding and can afford an employee that costs $15K for part-time, but not the $23K you insist upon?

    I will never cease to be amazed at the people who will insist that it is better that our poor be unemployed than that they have entry-level jobs and entry-level compensation.

    What percentage of business owners cam do all the work by themselves? People need to work somewhere, and businesses need someone to work.
    Businesses can run on fewer employees, or more employees. The demand for labor exists on a supply/demand curve, just like the demand for anything else. You increase the price for labor, you reduce the demand for it.

    Also, if I'm not paying for my own health insurance, it's really weird that all this money is taken out of my paycheck.
    no. It's weird that you have this idea that your employer is rightfully responsible for your health insurance in the first place. Why would you not prefer a package better suited to you? Why would you want to lose health coverage upon losing your job? Isn't that the worst time to be unprotected from the worst that life can throw at you?

    And with auto insurance, people choose whether or not to drive. Nobody chooses whether or not to have cancer.
    .....and that impacts this discussion because..... ?

    Everyone also has to have shelter and food. Do you expect your employer to pick out a house for you and decide what you shall eat?

  6. #386
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

    It would seem that a lot of liberals in here do not realize the cost of benefits in a total compensation package. For example, earnings of an employee making $57K per year, with a 401K, and carrying health insurance, is typically $84K per year to the company...
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #387
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,450
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal wit

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, tons of Canadians come to the United States for treatment now, rather than sitting around and waiting for it for "free" in Canada... later.
    Mostly not true. Some Canadians do choose to get some procedures done in the US if they can afford it, like getting a hip replaced. But these instances are very rare. However, some provinces do send Canadians to get treated in the US if it proves to be more feasible (i.e. patient is closer to American hospital that a Canadian one that is able to treat his/her ailment). When this happens, the province gets a bill from the American hospital.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  8. #388
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh for Christ sake. Just admit that you used that pejorative term because it was a negative way to characterize Mitt Romney, and instead of running a substantive campaign you liberals had to smear, and sully the career of a decent man, because you couldn't have won a head to head campaign on ideas.
    Actually we did win the campaign. Years from now nobody cares who finished second or why.

    And as I have shown with extensive evidence - much of it from your fellow Republicans - there is a significant difference between VENTURE capitalism and VULTURE capitalism.
    It was prominent members of the republican establishment who made it an issue and who first attacked Romney for it.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueGj788tV-Q

    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...sm_is_bad.html

    So blaming your hated enemy "liberals" is more than a bit dishonest.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-19-12 at 08:50 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #389
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,736

    re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It would seem that a lot of liberals in here do not realize the cost of benefits in a total compensation package. For example, earnings of an employee making $57K per year, with a 401K, and carrying health insurance, is typically $84K per year to the company...
    No, we get that benefits cost money. Thanks for this amazing revelation.

    But if paying 14 cents more per pizza at a crappy pizza chain is enough to get their employees health insurance, here's a ****ing quarter. Get the deluxe health plan.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #390
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It would seem that a lot of liberals in here do not realize the cost of benefits in a total compensation package. For example, earnings of an employee making $57K per year, with a 401K, and carrying health insurance, is typically $84K per year to the company...
    The minimum benefits cost is usually +25K$, but I have seen it go as high as 45% of gross annualized wages. When some companies are providing uniforms, as well as 401K plans, insurances, time off, sick time, child care, and even vehicle/travel funds and access the business cost gets up there on the benefits end.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •