Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 531

Thread: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,387

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    With individuals having that choice, they can vote with their feet. With single payer, they can't avoid it. It will be baked into everything via taxes on all at all levels.
    I would welcome single payer and it's lower costs. You all keep saying we all pay so why not pay less?

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    So why don't business owners support going single payer? Why should business continued to be burdened with providing healthcare? This guy should be at the head of the pack moving on congress and the president to set them free.
    Let's look at that....

    In this system he has to raise prices to cover the premiums he has to pay for his employee's healthcare.

    In a single payer system he has to raise prices to cover the increase in what he has to pay his employees to make up for the additional tax money that's being taken from them to pay for the single-payer system.

    EITHER WAY the price of his product has to go UP to cover the costs.

  3. #23
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It's sad that the government providing health-care to everyone is the bad guy, and not the guy putting the extra cost onto the people, and the workers.

    Though this is an argument for a single payer system as well though.
    I tend to agree, but I would suggest that these people's reactions are an indication at how flawed and uneven the current system will be.

    I also agree that we will eventually get a single-payer system, but we'll have to go through a bunch more bureaucratic crap to get there. All Obamacare will do is delay the inevitable. At least 4 years (I predict 10-15 yrs) as the Obama administration will never admit that its own system fails in any way.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    This is only the beginning folks... Now that business owners know for sure that Obamacare won't be repealed, you can expect to see a lot more price increases, layoffs, weekly hours being cut and benefit reductions taking place all across the country...

    Because like they say, elections do have consequences.
    Exactly. My Union goes into negotiations for a new contract right after the first of the year.... I can almost GUARANTEE you that one of their proposals will be to give us a couple extra dollars an hour to get rid of our healthcare system, starting in 2014.

  5. #25
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    He is going to quickly find that people can vote with their feet too. His customers are going to go eleswhere.
    Not just customers, but employees. If this jagoff is only giving up 30 hrs./week and Appleby's is offering 40 hrs./week and health insurance, I wonder where the best employees are going to go?

    Let's also not forget that the main provisions of ACA don't even go into effect until 2014, so there is no rational justification for this.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #26
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It's sad that the government providing health-care to everyone is the bad guy, and not the guy putting the extra cost onto the people, and the workers.

    Though this is an argument for a single payer system as well though.
    One way or another, every tax . . . every expensive regulation . . . is paid by the American consumer. There's no free lunch. Just because the government is raising taxes on "the other guy," don't think for one minute that it doesn't impact every one of us. Business doesn't grow money on trees.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,387

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    This is only the beginning folks... Now that business owners know for sure that Obamacare won't be repealed, you can expect to see a lot more price increases, layoffs, weekly hours being cut and benefit reductions taking place all across the country...

    Because like they say, elections do have consequences.
    And poorly run busnesses will keep on failing and well run ones will prosper just like before the election.

  8. #28
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Did the same guy provide all of his workers better benefits and more pay and reduce the cost of his food by 5% when he got a tax cut under bush?

    Yea, didn't think so. Funny, when you give people a tax cut, that's more money that they get because they're amazing, when you bump their cost of doing business by a small amount, the only way to cope is to take it out on their employees by gaming the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Let's also not forget that the main provisions of ACA don't even go into effect until 2014, so there is no rational justification for this.
    I read a few days ago (don't have the link) that what a company would pay in 2014 is determined by what they did in 2013, so it does matter now.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Not just customers, but employees. If this jagoff is only giving up 30 hrs./week and Appleby's is offering 40 hrs./week and health insurance, I wonder where the best employees are going to go?

    Let's also not forget that the main provisions of ACA don't even go into effect until 2014, so there is no rational justification for this.
    How about people stop going to these establishments that don't give two ****s about their employee's, or customers, and go to business's that at least try to treat every fair, and honestly. We'll see how long they keep these policy's in place.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •