Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 531

Thread: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours...[W:287/521]

  1. #221
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Healthcare is a service provided by people, and therefore can not be a right.
    Why? Because you say so?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Why? Because you say so?
    Because positive rights are a violation of rights to begin with.

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Who's hands then?
    Yours.

  4. #224
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because positive rights are a violation of rights to begin with.
    Because ... you say so?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  5. #225
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    The employees created it. So it is there business. What is your business in denying millions healthcare?

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Because ... you say so?
    Because that is how they work.

  7. #227
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,960

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yours.
    Would you mind elaborating?

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    You are right, the reason healthcare is even in the workplace is because it was meant as additional compensation beyond wages. It's a negotiated benefit, as I understand it. That will have to be mitigated, maybe it can be phased out or split. It is considered part of any compensation package, even outside of unions. But it is still worthwhile to pursue this to reduce the burden on business owners. Further, relieving them of human, and in the case of large corporations, technological costs of administrating their employee's health benefits, would be be a win for them.
    Phasing it out or splitting it is not really an option. Most Unions are not going to give up any of that compensation. If they don't get it that way, they're going to expect to get it somewhere else.... In the hourly wage, vacation time, or as a yearly bonus of some sort. If my math is correct (and it may not be), I could get a roughly 10% raise from not paying the premium taken out of my check and getting the money the company pays on the premium. Of course I'd have to then pay for my own health insurance, but that's secondary to the main point of this discussion.

  9. #229
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal wit

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Well, they heartily disagree with you. They have to wait months on end for badly-needed procedures you can get in the U.S. tomorrow.

    In British Columbia, they have only five MRI machines. In fact, Pittsburgh, PA, has more MRI machines than all of Canada.

    MRI Scans: Waiting for Public Health Care vs. Paying for a Private MRI Clinic | bcliving
    Your point actually serves dual purposes. One, it points out the starkness of the Canadian system, which certainly could use some improvement, no doubt.

    But, on the flip side, it also points out the extravagance of the American system and demonstrates a piece of the puzzle as to why American health care is so expensive.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #230
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,960

    Re: Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with co

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Phasing it out or splitting it is not really an option. Most Unions are not going to give up any of that compensation. If they don't get it that way, they're going to expect to get it somewhere else.... In the hourly wage, vacation time, or as a yearly bonus of some sort. If my math is correct (and it may not be), I could get a roughly 10% raise from not paying the premium taken out of my check and getting the money the company pays on the premium. Of course I'd have to then pay for my own health insurance, but that's secondary to the main point of this discussion.
    It's a negotiated benefit. Of course they shouldn't just give it up, no one should. It's been considered part of my compensation. The entire cost will not immediately be relieved, but right off, no more administration of it and since healthcare costs have been rising year after year, in a few years it can be extrapolated that companies will feel the full burden dissipate.

Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •