Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 125

Thread: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    WASHINGTON — President Obama on Wednesday declared that he would not extend tax cuts at upper income levels but that Congress should quickly do so for the middle class, and he praised David H. Petraeus’s record while saying that national security had not been compromised during the intelligence official’s affair with his biographer.
    ...
    He described two choices on taxes for the lame-duck Congress: either to allow taxes to rise across the board at all income levels, or to pass a bill extending tax cuts for all but those in the highest tax brackets.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/us...pagewanted=all

    So much for a balanced approach. Obama basically just said he gets everything he wants before anyone gets anything else.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    Heres the trascript:

    Transcript of President Obama?s Press Conference - NYTimes.com

    As I’ve said before, I’m open to compromise and I’m open to new ideas. And I’ve been encouraged over the past week to hear Republican after Republican agree for the need for more revenue from the wealthiest Americans as part of our arithmetic if we’re going to be serious about reducing the deficit because when it comes to taxes, there are two pathways available.

    Option one, if Congress fails to act by the end of this year, everybody’s taxes will automatically go up, including the 98 percent of Americans who make less than $250,000 a year and the 97 percent of small businesses who earn less than $250,000 a year. That doesn’t make sense. Our economy can’t afford that right now. Certainly no middle-class family can afford that right now.

    And nobody in either party says that they want it to happen. The other option is to pass a law right now that would prevent any tax hike whatsoever on the first $250,000 of everybody’s income. And by the way, that means every American, including the wealthiest Americans, get a tax cut. It means that 98 percent of all Americans and 97 percent of all small businesses won’t see their taxes go up a single dime.
    So hes open to new idea so long as those new ideas are either of his two options.

  3. #3
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,690

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Heres the trascript:

    Transcript of President Obama?s Press Conference - NYTimes.com



    So hes open to new idea so long as those new ideas are either of his two options.
    Yet this is the same Obama that signed a bill making ALL of the "Bush" FIT rates revert to the "Clinton" FIT rates. Now he says he was just kidding about the tax increases, so take 98% of that off the table and THEN we will talk about the other 2%'s taxes and MAYBE some spending cuts (of course less cuts than the stupid committee's "grand bargain" amounts). Yes he did!
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yet this is the same Obama that signed a bill making ALL of the "Bush" FIT rates revert to the "Clinton" FIT rates. Now he says he was just kidding about the tax increases, so take 98% of that off the table and THEN we will talk about the other 2%'s taxes and MAYBE some spending cuts (of course less cuts than the stupid committee's "grand bargain" amounts). Yes he did!
    If I were Republicans I would just say, here is our return offer.

    Opt 1 - taxes go up on everyone
    opt 2 - taxes stay the same for everyone

  5. #5
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    If I were Republicans I would just say, here is our return offer.

    Opt 1 - taxes go up on everyone
    That would be pretty dumb; just what we need to plunge the US into another recession. I prefer option 3.

    Option 3: those who voted for Obama should have their taxes raised.

    Those voters seem to be OK with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  6. #6
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Obama Holds First News Conference Since June - NYTimes.com

    So much for a balanced approach. Obama basically just said he gets everything he wants before anyone gets anything else.
    Dang, he's damnned if he does and damned if he doesn't. That's what he ran on, surely the right would be whining if he would say he wasn't going to raise taxes on the rich. And, the middle-class are not getting a tax hike, so your snippy remark that he gets everything he wants before anyone gets anything else is just sour grapes.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  7. #7
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    I say tax the rich into oblivion. Those idiots overwhelmingly voted for Pres Obama. Let them reap what they sow. Screw em. I'm tired of defending people that ask for it.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,774

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/us...pagewanted=all

    So much for a balanced approach. Obama basically just said he gets everything he wants before anyone gets anything else.

    it proves what many of us have said all along

    revenue increase is not Obama's goal

    its pandering to class warfare

  9. #9
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,774

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I say tax the rich into oblivion. Those idiots overwhelmingly voted for Pres Obama. Let them reap what they sow. Screw em. I'm tired of defending people that ask for it.
    so the fact that the majority of people who make less than 50K a year voted for Obama and the majority of those of us who make more than 100K a year voted for Romney does not matter?

    true lots of extremely rich libertines, gays, Jews and others who typically support the dems for reasons other than taxes, voted for Obama

    but the majority of those wealthy despite the government did not

  10. #10
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Focus on Petraeus and Taxes as Obama Faces Reporters

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    it proves what many of us have said all along

    revenue increase is not Obama's goal

    its pandering to class warfare
    No, that's just class warfare nonsense on your side.

    Now, republicans, go to the table, without whining, and sure, as soon as you agree to these cuts in conjunction with the increases. Then you have the balanced approach and like legislators and not victims.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •