Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If, as seems most likely going by the evidence, there is no heaven, no hell, no God, then if you don't punish the pedophiles here during the only life any of us actually have, they get away with it scot free.
    We weren't talking about punishment here, for that we have the law. We were talking about absolution.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    But if there is no hell (which most reasonable people would assume) then what?
    I believe you're mistaken that "most" reasonable people assume there is no hell. This stat is from 2009, and I've seen higher percentages while Googling, but according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, 59% of Americans do believe in hell. Many Americans don't believe in hell, but what about pastors? - USATODAY.com

  3. #73
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I believe you're mistaken that "most" reasonable people assume there is no hell. This stat is from 2009, and I've seen higher percentages while Googling, but according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, 59% of Americans do believe in hell. Many Americans don't believe in hell, but what about pastors? - USATODAY.com
    I said reasonable people not majority. One does not imply the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    I said reasonable people not majority. One does not imply the other.
    So what is your definition of "reasonable"?

    Let me guess--those who think like you?

  5. #75
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    So what is your definition of "reasonable"?

    Let me guess--those who think like you?
    Nah. Those are don't accept things before they have evidence for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  6. #76
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    We weren't talking about punishment here, for that we have the law. We were talking about absolution.
    Absolution is a foolish concept, if you want forgiveness for your "sins", go talk to the people who you've wronged. Taking to a guy in a phone booth doesn't get you forgiveness, it just gets you to forget about your wrongdoing.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #77
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    So what is your definition of "reasonable"?

    Let me guess--those who think like you?
    No, people who actually give a damn about reality.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #78
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    We weren't talking about punishment here, for that we have the law. We were talking about absolution.
    The pedophiles can seek absolution in prison, where they belong.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Absolution is a foolish concept, if you want forgiveness for your "sins", go talk to the people who you've wronged. Taking to a guy in a phone booth doesn't get you forgiveness, it just gets you to forget about your wrongdoing.
    Absolution was the greatest idea any catholic could come up with. Think about it, the authority to absolve any sin. A fundraising bonanza forever.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    They just need to borrow the Iran-Contra line--"I have no recollection of that."

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •