Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81

Thread: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,891

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Guilt and innocence have nothing to do with a jury trial. If the convicted did the act they are accused of, no matter how the jury finds, they are guilty. If they did not do the act, no matter how the jury finds, they are not guilty. Guilt and innocence are objectively factual elements in a criminal trial, either they did it or not. However, in many criminal trials, whether they did it or not isn't all that important as the stage show both the prosecution and the defense teams put on. The defense team, in particular, is out to defend the defendant whether they are guilty or not. They are there to try to sway the jury to not convict their client, even if they are fully aware that their client is guilty of the crime. That's the problem, they aren't fighting for justice, they're fighting to get the guy paying their bills off.
    Each one of us is entitled to a vigorous defense, and I don't think you can generalize about the entire defense bar.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,756

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Each one of us is entitled to a vigorous defense, and I don't think you can generalize about the entire defense bar.
    A vigorous defense, assuming you're not factually guilty of the crime. If you pulled the trigger and you tell your defense attorney that you did it, they shouldn't be able to hide that evidence from the prosecution. Both sides ought to be working to get at the actual truth.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #63
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    So priests should be required to rat out the people who confess to them but we cannot require a teenage girl to get permission from a parent to have an abortion because she might be a victim of rape and incest and have to tell somebody about it? Why allow a 14 year old girl to be a hidden victim and not a 14 year old boy? It is a curious world we live in.....

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,891

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    A vigorous defense, assuming you're not factually guilty of the crime. If you pulled the trigger and you tell your defense attorney that you did it, they shouldn't be able to hide that evidence from the prosecution. Both sides ought to be working to get at the actual truth.
    No, a vigorous defense, period.

    As officers of the court, attorneys are obligated to refuse to assist in a fraud. I want to believe that the vast majority of the members of the defense bar do their jobs honorably and in accordance with their oath.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional - Telegraph





    So the solution from the church is for priests to refuse confessionals to pedos.

    Nice.

    So the question here is should priests be relieved from reporting pedophilia to authorities which they discover during confession?

    FWIW - Even doctors, under the seal of medical privacy, are required to report such.
    If the priests report, pedophiles will stop talking to priests. If priests don't report, pedophiles will still talk, but the priest can't do anything about it.

    Seems like a catch-22 to me. It doesn't matter either way....if you follow the rules.

    The solution is to brake the rules. Let priests appear to offer confidentiality so that the pedophiles talk, and then the priest turns around and secretly tips off the authorities. This would have to be arraigned with the upper-most level of discretion. If it became known that the CIA full has access to your Facebook the priests were reporting illegal activities, people would stop offering them all their information.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If the priests report, pedophiles will stop talking to priests. If priests don't report, pedophiles will still talk, but the priest can't do anything about it.

    Seems like a catch-22 to me. It doesn't matter either way....if you follow the rules.

    The solution is to brake the rules. Let priests appear to offer confidentiality so that the pedophiles talk, and then the priest turns around and secretly tips off the authorities. This would have to be arraigned with the upper-most level of discretion. If it became known that the CIA full has access to your Facebook the priests were reporting illegal activities, people would stop offering them all their information.
    But then the pedos won't receive absolution and will burn in hell for all eternity.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    But then the pedos won't receive absolution and will burn in hell for all eternity.
    I'm good with that.

  8. #68
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    But then the pedos won't receive absolution and will burn in hell for all eternity.
    But if there is no hell (which most reasonable people would assume) then what?
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    But if there is no hell (which most reasonable people would assume) then what?
    Then what what? I don't understand the question.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,756

    Re: Australian priests could be forced to breach seal of the confessional

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Then what what? I don't understand the question.
    If, as seems most likely going by the evidence, there is no heaven, no hell, no God, then if you don't punish the pedophiles here during the only life any of us actually have, they get away with it scot free.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •