Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 106

Thread: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,245

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    I suspect that even if you provide them with a totally FREE energy alternative they would still reject it and prefer to burn coal, oil and gas.
    Jesus Christ. You guys have lost it. You have no economic sense whatsoever, do you? Any FREE energy alternative would have an EROEI of infinity, since it's free. People (not just conservative people) will happily take whatever is cheapest.

    THe level of socio-psychopathic neurosis and tribal based hatred is astonishing - especially in the USA where the level of propaganda and general ignorance is so intense
    What TF is "socio-psychopathic neurosis?" Trying to suddenly be a psychiatrist, are we?

  2. #62
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,541

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    What TF sort of comparison is that?

    My point went over your head? Am I supposed to be shocked by that?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #63
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Actually this 5 year prediction makes sense.

    Jeb Bush will be elected in 4 years, so he'll have a busy first year drilling for oil.

  4. #64
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    So will the government guarantee to buy from this refinery all that it can supply at any price?

    Or will the price be fixed.

    Because if it is not, then the refinery could sell all it can produce at hugely inflated prices, whereas normally, it can only sell at prices that the market will bare.

    And if it is a set price, what happens if the price of oil goes up or down drastically? Does the price the government will pay change as well?

    What if the price the government is prepared to pay no longer allows the refinery to make a profit? Will the government start subsidizing it?

    It all sounds a little bit too much like central government planning to me.

    I understand your point - but I say leave it to the free market.
    Look, I'm not going to claim to know a lot about this subject because I don't. My point was that the gov't apparently isn't granting permits for new refineries and that maybe they would if said refinery pledged to sell to America only. There's nothing big gov't or central gov't about that. It's merely the gov't giving out a permit that they already give out to existing refineries anyway. I'm not proposing our gov't force them to sell X amount of barrels to them at a certain price or anything like that. They could still sell it on the open market. It just wouldn't be sold to foreign countries.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,245

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    My point went over your head? Am I supposed to be shocked by that?
    It didn't go over my head, I fully comprehended it as imbecilic. You compared oil vs. alternatives to meth vs. coke. Meth and coke are obviously both worth avoiding at all costs, whereas without oil or an equivalent alternative (which does not exist) our entire global economy collapses.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Look, I'm not going to claim to know a lot about this subject because I don't. My point was that the gov't apparently isn't granting permits for new refineries and that maybe they would if said refinery pledged to sell to America only. There's nothing big gov't or central gov't about that. It's merely the gov't giving out a permit that they already give out to existing refineries anyway. I'm not proposing our gov't force them to sell X amount of barrels to them at a certain price or anything like that. They could still sell it on the open market. It just wouldn't be sold to foreign countries.
    Similarly, I would like to see a few states join together to create quasi-public corporations to build refineries to sell only in their states at or near cost which would put pressure on big oil to stop manufacturing supply shortages to run prices up.

  7. #67
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Similarly, I would like to see a few states join together to create quasi-public corporations to build refineries to sell only in their states at or near cost which would put pressure on big oil to stop manufacturing supply shortages to run prices up.
    I'm just delving into this topic so I don't know enough about this to really comment. Sounds good in theory though.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Similarly, I would like to see a few states join together to create quasi-public corporations to build refineries to sell only in their states at or near cost which would put pressure on big oil to stop manufacturing supply shortages to run prices up.
    i wish. but that's socialism. cant be having that in 'merica, home of the poor and the people who ride their
    xxxxxx.jpg
    's to caymans and back to hide their trillions

  9. #69
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,541

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    It didn't go over my head, I fully comprehended it as imbecilic. You compared oil vs. alternatives to meth vs. coke. Meth and coke are obviously both worth avoiding at all costs, whereas without oil or an equivalent alternative (which does not exist) our entire global economy collapses.
    No, I compared the false premise that we shouldn't engage in healthier living because it's expensive to another false premise that we shouldn't engage in healthier living because it's expensive. A coke bottle is literally more expensive than a meth hit. So which would you rather have?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #70
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    i wish. but that's socialism. cant be having that in 'merica, home of the poor and the people who ride their
    xxxxxx.jpg
    's to caymans and back to hide their trillions
    Except it is not. The states wouldn't own the corporation, just start and fund it as a non-profit and then get their money back from the economic development loan Strawparty Socialism ain't socialism

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •