Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 313

Thread: CIA Director Resigns

  1. #151
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: CIA director Petraeus resigns over affair

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, he admitted to an extramarital affair ... which is obviously a huge problem for the chief of the CIA. Presumably it was going to come out and he decided to head it off.
    Somehow I doubt that's the actual reason for his resignation.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #152
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,449
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: CIA Director Resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Bush could of knocked down the towers. Anything "could of" happened. But see your making your accusations based off of no facts.
    I am going to risk some points here... and a ban in the process.

    Your see... there is a difference.
    Petraeus HAD an affair.
    This is now public knowledge.

    Bush did not make public he knocked the towers down... and to think he might have is mental retardation at its highest.

    Now... you see the difference?
    Petraeus admitted to an affair. Some enemy of America could have blackmailed him for who knows what; and if he were as dishonest as say Bill Clinton he might have given up something vital to national security for these folks to keep quiet; say... allowing vital information about rocket performance land in the laps of the Communist Chinese (which did happen).

    Do you understand now?

    Come back to me when you have some facts. Cuz im not buying into this "could of" whole situation.
    The facts are... Petraeus had an affair and could have been blackmailed by the Russians or Chinese. You don't think they have surveillance on these people or seek to entrap them if possible? I know after The Wall came down, there was a military base in south Germany; not a large or especially significant one... there were 17 Communist German agents trying to dig up anything they could.

    In a previous post about Iran and the attack on the drone you said something like "I hope..."... you DemSocialist seem to be a naive fool who thinks you can deal with enemy states like Iran through dialogue, and then cannot see the blatant risk Petraeus opened himself to.

    It is absolutely no wonder you believe in the tyranny of Socialism, though you don't seem to notice the cost of liberty, the tyranny such systems must employ.

    When that liberty is lost, it isn't lost temporarily... it is lost forever, or it takes generations to re-institute... just like doing away with the idiotic 55mph speed limit put into law by the Carter administration.
    Last edited by zimmer; 11-10-12 at 09:18 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  3. #153
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: CIA Director Resigns

    Somehow I doubt that's the true reason for his resignation
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  4. #154
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,449
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: CIA Director Resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't know about him running for office; but your first two? I agree with. In fact, I think it's possible that he was blackmailed, and that's why he came forward. Which, if true, would be the exact right thing for him to do.
    I agree... I put the third option in as something that is out there, but is 100% plausible but could be 100% wrong.

    Looking into the minds of others and their intentions is a game where the odds are stacked against you highly.

    There was a post here by someone who tried to do that to me... it's like looking into a haystack for an invisible needle. Th person missed by miles, but they held onto that position foolishly... what it indicates is a very small (but highly motivated) mind. They were motivated by personal destruction... and I enjoyed their destroying their own credibility by reaching so far into the ether and holding onto that view.

    Petraeus might have seen Obama's reelection as a death knell for this country; then again, there are tons of options. The timing allows for all manner of speculation. One thing is 100% sure; if he did have an affair as he admits... he was 100% open to blackmail.

    I do not see this having anything to do with Benghazi, except perhaps to free him, and allow him to piss freely in the face of his Commander in Chief. But then the letter he wrote was filled with admiration and hope.

    There is a forecaster who I disagree with politically (Paul Saffo) who gave a great speech about prediction. Nassim Nicholas Taleb is also an interesting character who delves into this field. From Saffo I learned that the most unbelievable predictions can come true... and often are cloaked in humor. It's the old story that reality is stranger than fiction... and Petraeus is a patriot. I hope he runs in 2016... we need someone who has credibility and courage... even if he's proven to be fallible.
    Last edited by zimmer; 11-10-12 at 09:34 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  5. #155
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,787

    Re: CIA director Petraeus resigns over affair

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Somehow I doubt that's the actual reason for his resignation.
    Why would you think that? A man shouldn't be head of the CIA with blackmail fodder on his resume, nor should he be head of the CIA while going through a possible divorce.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #156
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: CIA director Petraeus resigns over affair

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why would you think that?
    Because most people in that position would simply resign without admission of scandal. 37 years Army, Commander of ISAF and operations in Afghanistan, then appointment to an equally stressful position, who would question it? He didn't resign, he got forced out. For why, we'll never know, but it wasn't something as trivial as adultery.

    A man shouldn't be head of the CIA with blackmail fodder on his resume, nor should he be head of the CIA while going through a possible divorce.
    The same could be said of senators and congressmen.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #157
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: CIA director Petraeus resigns over affair

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Good response but I think realistically you have to give people, even in sensitive positions at least one pass on personal issues. Expecting perfection or "don't get caught" from officials creates an atmosphere of dishonesty and *winks winks*. I don't live that way and don't expect it from others. Now if he's a brain surgeon doing surgery, saying "ooops" then **** can him.
    Seriously. If the POTUS can do it on tax payer time (in the oval office) and go on being President....it's certainly no excuse for the CIA director to quit.

    It's a cover story.

  8. #158
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: CIA director Petraeus resigns over affair

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why would you think that? A man shouldn't be head of the CIA with blackmail fodder on his resume, nor should he be head of the CIA while going through a possible divorce.

    That is true, however the timing is suspect....The "blackmail" may not be so much from China, or Russia as a threat as much as from within.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #159
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CIA director Petraeus resigns over affair

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Seriously. If the POTUS can do it on tax payer time (in the oval office) and go on being President....it's certainly no excuse for the CIA director to quit.

    It's a cover story.
    I agree completely. I was a devout conservative Repub during Clinton's reign and thought he was way too friendly with China. But I never liked how the GOP, especially Gingrich (hypocrite) went after an impeachment (abuse of process) on an issue that was more between him and his wife than the Media and Congress.

    If Patraeus was unavailable for consultation and should've had at least a secure cell for that purpose of sending in reinforcements or talking to the State Department/Military, then he dropped the ball. Though if his direct attention were not necessary or responsible for the situation, then he should be reprimanded at best. His sex life is between him and his family, not for public scrutiny, unless it's completely off the wall, dangerous and extreme affecting his work.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #160
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: CIA director Petraeus resigns over affair

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That is true, however the timing is suspect....The "blackmail" may not be so much from China, or Russia as a threat as much as from within.
    "The threat from within" may have been, "General, you're either going to resign? Or have a heart attack on Sunday."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •