Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 149

Thread: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

  1. #51
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    "Yep, can't have those brown-skinned people coming in."
    That was proven pretty conclusively in yesterday's election. You can believe that particular fact will be the subject of an enormous amount of discussion in the next four years.

  2. #52
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    "Yep, can't have those brown-skinned people coming in."

    (Somehow, that's not race baiting)
    I believe it has more to do with the burden they would be than their race. But if you want to see things like that
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  3. #53
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The people of Puerto Rico chose to trade certain voting rights in return for certain tax advantages. Calling that colonialism is an insult to the suffering of those under real colonialism, of which a Spaniard should be intimately familiar. Self Determination is the basic principle against tyranny and that has been upheld in Puerto Rico.
    I aint a Spaniard and my point stands.. just because they have certain voting rights and tax advantages does not mean they are free of colonialism. Only when you are equal or totally independent is when colonialism ends.
    PeteEU

  4. #54
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    OK, This explains the reason for the sudden burst of enthusiasm to redesign the American flag in PR:



    Why is Obama Campaigning in Puerto Rico When it Can’t Vote for President? (Wink-Wink) « The Constitution Club

    More Obama voters, another liberal favored dependency class. Obama didn't go ever there because the PRs were self-reliant Conservatives. They're here to get some of the freebies that the liberals pay to all the Mexicans to vote for Obama.
    Last edited by Ray410; 11-07-12 at 05:51 PM.

  5. #55
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,149

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    OK, This explains the reason for the sudden burst of enthusiasm to redesign the American flag in PR:



    Why is Obama Campaigning in Puerto Rico When it Can’t Vote for President? (Wink-Wink) « The Constitution Club

    More Obama voters, another liberal favored dependency class. Obama didn't go ever there because the PRs were self-reliant Conservatives. They're here to get some of the freebies that the liberals pay to all the Mexicans to vote for Obama.
    FYI: Santorum and Romney both campaigned there too:

    Rick Santorum Tells Puerto Ricans To Speak English If They Want Statehood, So Mitt Romney Will Win Puerto Rico


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #56
    That European Guy
    GarzaUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I aint a Spaniard and my point stands.. just because they have certain voting rights and tax advantages does not mean they are free of colonialism. Only when you are equal or totally independent is when colonialism ends.
    Kinda like Greenland then you oppressive dane ?
    Last edited by GarzaUK; 11-07-12 at 06:28 PM.
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." ~ Isaac Asimov

  7. #57
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I aint a Spaniard and my point stands..
    Are is that because you are an ex-pat or because you identify as an Andalusian?

    just because they have certain voting rights and tax advantages does not mean they are free of colonialism. Only when you are equal or totally independent is when colonialism ends.
    Colonialism is about a foreign power imposing its will upon another people. The people of Puerto Rico freely chose their status. Forcing them to become a state before they voted on it would have been colonialism.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    So you are opposed simply for electorally it might hurt your party some... and nothing else. Interesting way to go about making policies in this world.
    I'm not a republican, but I have no interest in giving the democrats another high value state and I highly doubt many republicans do either. Yes, that is why I'm opposed to them being a state and I personally think its a damn good reason.

  9. #59
    That European Guy
    GarzaUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not a republican, but I have no interest in giving the democrats another high value state and I highly doubt many republicans do either. Yes, that is why I'm opposed to them being a state and I personally think its a damn good reason.
    You want to stop a US dependency from acheiving full statehood and citizen rights because you are afraid of how they would vote? Not very Libertarian of you Henrin.
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." ~ Isaac Asimov

  10. #60
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,933

    Re: Puerto Rico Votes on US Ties

    Quote Originally Posted by GarzaUK View Post
    You want to stop a US dependency from acheiving full statehood and citizen rights because you are afraid of how they would vote? Not very Libertarian of you Henrin.
    Not to mention being a us dependent territory, federal $'s may flow to them but not being a state means they don't pay taxes. So $'s flow only one way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •